Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Power6 vs. Power7 hardware performance Post 302642607 by bakunin on Thursday 17th of May 2012 05:44:35 PM
Old 05-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdock
Would that type of clock speed really contribute to that type of performance Gain?
Clock speed for a processor is like the number of revolutions in a motor. If you compare a Ferrari to, say, the ship diesel of the largest container ship in the world, which one do you think will revolve faster? And which one will have more power?

The only time when clock speed will enter the picture is if you compare two absolutely identical processors. In this case (but only in this case) the processing power of the processors (not the system!) will almost linearly reflect the proportion of their clock speeds.

Further, "performance" is a synonym for "fitness for a defined purpose", not "being fast". If you compare a Ferrari, an SUV and a 40-tons-truck, which one is "performing best"? That depends on the purpose, the roads to be used, etc. If the road is only a gully in the forest the speed of the truck and the Ferrari is probably reduced to zero, while the SUV still can go at 20mph. If you have to transport 100 tons of cargo the truck will be probably the fastest, because it has to go only 3 times while the SUV has to go 200 times and the Ferrari probably 2000 times. If the road is an 8-lane-highway and there is no cargo to transport then probably the Ferrari is the fastest, etc.

As you see, as long as you don't define your purpose you can't compare any system. You could - instead of clock speed - as well compare weight, number of screws used to mount it in the rack or similar numbers. They are all equally meaningless.

At last, even if you have a defined purpose to base your comparison on, computer systems are highly complex, interdependent systems. To expect the change of one aspect of this system (the clock speed) to have a linear effect is naive at best. Suppose you are the new trainer of a World-Class soccer team. On your first day you see that the team trains every day for 3 hours and last year they have scored 40 goals over the season. If you double their training time to 6 hours a day, would you expect them to score 80 goals in the next season? Probably not.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 05-17-2012 at 06:56 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Oracle 10G best practices on Power6 AIX5.3

Can anyone point me to any best practices for partitioning, resource prerequisites, and implementation of Oracle 10G release 2 with RAC on 2 power6 550's running AIX5.3 as a cluster? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JodyTek
1 Replies

2. AIX

POWER6 VIO Failover

Hello, Can someone point to me document or the method to make failover for VIO Servers ? I have one VIO_Server1 which has 4 AIX LPARS - From the VIO_SERVER1 I have assigned virtual SCSI DISK to the four LPARS - For Ethernet I have used LHEA So, if my VIO Server1 crashes all the LPARS... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
17 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processor performance question [hardware]

A few of our machines need upgrading and we are looking into a selection of processors at present. There are suggestions on the vendor's websites that the L3 cache was specifically introduced for gamers. Is this true? Does having L1, L2 and/or L3 cache help at all in performance or are the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

4. Programming

Top v3.7 and v3.8beta1 will not compile on Power7/AIX6.1 server.

Please help! We are upgrading our server to a new Power7/AIX6.1 from Power5/AIX5.3. I have some programs that rely on output of the TOP command to do various things, however, I keep getting an error when I try to re-compile TOP on my new server (see below). I have tried TOP 3.7 (current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: troym72
1 Replies

5. AIX

IBM POWER7 595

Does anybody know when POWER7 595 is going to be announced??? I was looking for in IBM's web page but could not find (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
1 Replies

6. AIX

Migration DB2 V8 databases to Power7 server

hi Guys, I just wondering if someone has gone through this process before. We are about to migrate all our current LPARS from a Power6 server to a new Power7 server. The only concern we have is that we are runing a few DB2 V8 databases on AIX 5.3 and basically DB2 v8 is been out of support for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
2 Replies

7. AIX

Server Power7 p750 support CentOS or not ?

Hi All, I would like to install CentOS 5.5 linux on Power7 server (P750). it support or not?? I found information from IBM websites as detail below, but not sure for CentOS. IBM Power 750 support linux >>Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP3,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
2 Replies

8. AIX

How to get power6 power FRU?

how to get power6 power FRU? the power5 can get by this command: lscfg -vp | grep -p 'AC PS' | grep FRU however, the power6 machine cannot get any info for that command. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

9. AIX

Hard drive compatibility for POWER6 p520

Hi, I have recently inherited an old p520 from work running AIX 6.1, based on the POWER6 CPU. I'm planning to play around with it and use it to learn the system, so this is a purely personal project. The machine is not under a support contract any more. I am looking to replace one of the disks... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: topcat
11 Replies
time.h(3HEAD)                                                         Headers                                                        time.h(3HEAD)

NAME
time.h, time - time types SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> DESCRIPTION
The <time.h> header declares the structure tm, which includes the following members: int tm_sec /* seconds [0,60] */ int tm_min /* minutes [0,59] */ int tm_hour /* hour [0,23] */ int tm_mday /* day of month [1,31] */ int tm_mon /* month of year [0,11] */ int tm_year /* years since 1900 */ int tm_wday /* day of week [0,6] (Sunday =0) */ int tm_yday /* day of year [0,365] */ int tm_isdst /* daylight savings flag */ The value of tm_isdst is positive if Daylight Saving Time is in effect, 0 if Daylight Saving Time is not in effect, and negative if the information is not available. The <time.h> header defines the following symbolic names: NULL Null pointer constant. CLOCKS_PER_SEC A number used to convert the value returned by the clock() function into seconds. See clock(3C). CLOCK_PROCESS_CPUTIME_ID The identifier of the CPU-time clock associated with the process making a clock() or timer*() function call. CLOCK_THREAD_CPUTIME_ID The identifier of the CPU-time clock associated with the thread making a clock() or timer*() function call. The <time.h> header declares the timespec structure, which has the following members: time_t tv_sec /* seconds */ long tv_nsec /* nanoseconds */ The <time.h> header declares the itimerspec structure, which has the following members: struct timespec it_interval /* timer period */ struct timespec it_value /* timer expiration */ The following manifest constants are defined: CLOCK_REALTIME The identifier of the system-wide realtime clock. TIMER_ABSTIME Flag indicating time is absolute. For functions taking timer objects, this refers to the clock associated with the timer. CLOCK_MONOTONIC The identifier for the system-wide monotonic clock, which is defined as a clock whose value cannot be set with clock_settime() and that cannot have backward clock jumps. The maximum possible clock jump is implementation- defined. See clock_settime(3RT). The clock_t, size_t, time_t, clockid_t, and timer_t types are defined as described in <sys/types.h>. See types.h(3HEAD). Although the value of CLOCKS_PER_SEC is required to be 1 million on all standard-conforming systems, it can be variable on other systems, and it should not be assumed that CLOCKS_PER_SEC is a compile-time constant. The <time.h> header provides a declaration for getdate_err. The following are declared as variables: extern int daylight; extern long timezone; extern char *tzname[]; Inclusion of the <time.h> header can make visible all symbols from the <signal.h> header. USAGE
The range [0,60] for tm_sec allows for the occasional leap second. tm_year is a signed value; therefore, years before 1900 can be represented. To obtain the number of clock ticks per second returned by the times() function, applications should call sysconf(_SC_CLK_TCK). See times(2) and sysconf(3C). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
time(2), utime(2), clock(3C), ctime(3C), difftime(3C), getdate(3C), mktime(3C), strftime(3C), strptime(3C), types.h(3HEAD), clock_set- time(3RT), nanosleep(3RT), timer_create(3RT), timer_delete(3RT), timer_settime(3RT), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Sep 2004 time.h(3HEAD)