Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rename multiple files, changing prefix, extension and dropping characters Post 302642429 by Corona688 on Thursday 17th of May 2012 11:42:14 AM
Old 05-17-2012
I'd suggest piping it into 'cat' instead of 'sh' first, to see if what it prints makes any sense.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files, to get rid of extension

I have a good script to rename multiple files, but what's the best way I can remove some text from multiple filenames? Say I have a directory with 35 files with a .XLS at the end, how can I rename them to remove the .XLS but keep everything the same, without having to mv manually. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj78
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing prefix from multiple files and renaming file extension

Hello i have the files in this format pdb1i0t.ent pdb1lv7.ent pdb1pp6.ent pdb1tj2.ent pdb1xg2.ent pdb2b4b.ent pdb2ewe.ent Now i have to remove the prefix pdb from all the files and also i need to change the extension of .ent to .txt The new file should look like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple files into one with the same name/different extension

I've been trying to find information in regard to creating a script that will generate HTML files. I currently have a series of files that contain code I need to surround with a <textarea> tag for easy viewing. I have about a thousand files that contain code, one file that contains the HTML code up... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 12o
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files and directories with special characters

Hello guys, I was looking for a shell script that removes all the special characters from the files and the subdirectories recursively. I could not locate it any more. Dose any body have a similar script that dose that? Thanks for the help. AV (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh command to rename all files with no extension

hi! i want to rename all files with no extension with the extension DAT. with this command ls |grep -v "\\." i can list files but i dont know how i am going to rename them.. so i tried FILE_LIST=ls |grep -v "\\." for TEST_FILE in ${FILE_LIST} do mv $TEST_FILE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kouppoua
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename all files (filename with spaces) to different extension

Hi, I have files with filenames as below. SGM Daily Sales Email-en-us-05312012.xlwa I want to rename it in .xls. I am writing a script to change this, as there can be multiple files in subfolders. I have the following script. #!/bin/ksh for oldfile in $(find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to rename files to files with mv extension?

currently in my directories $ ls -lrth total 32K -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall 864 Feb 25 16:01 cor_bin_gateway_cnt.sql -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall 782 Feb 25 16:01 mer_bin_gateway_cnt.sql I want to rename files with *.sql to *.mv extension, but when I execute the following $ mv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename multiple files in shell bash, changing elements order.

Hi, I want to rename several files like this: example: A0805120817.BHN A0805120818.BHN ..... to: 20120817.0805.N 20120818.0805.N ...... How can i do this via terminal or in shell bash script ? thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintolcv
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename all files at a time by appending some characters at the begining?

Hi I have a list a filename in a directory starting with particular pattern for example: abc_1234.txt abc_7565.txt abc_7676.txt abc_7765.txt i need to rename all these files by appending bck. or bck_ Expected output: bck.abc_1234.txt bck.abc_7565.txt bck.abc_7676.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Little
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl command to download multiple files with a file prefix

I am using the below curl command to download a single file from client server and it is working as expected curl --ftp-ssl -k -u ${USER}:${PASSWD} ftp://${HOST}:${PORT}/path/to/${FILE} --output ${DEST}/${FILE} let say the client has 3 files hellofile.101, hellofile.102, hellofile.103 and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r@v!7*7@
3 Replies
MUSTACHE(1)							  Mustache Manual						       MUSTACHE(1)

NAME
mustache -- Mustache processor SYNOPSIS
mustache <YAML> <FILE> mustache --compile <FILE> mustache --tokens <FILE> DESCRIPTION
Mustache is a logic-less templating system for HTML, config files, anything. The mustache command processes a Mustache template preceded by YAML frontmatter from standard input and prints one or more documents to standard output. YAML frontmatter beings with --- on a single line, followed by YAML, ending with another --- on a single line, e.g. --- names: [ {name: chris}, {name: mark}, {name: scott} ] --- If you are unfamiliar with YAML, it is a superset of JSON. Valid JSON should work fine. After the frontmatter should come any valid Mustache template. See mustache(5) for an overview of Mustache templates. For example: {{#names}} Hi {{name}}! {{/names}} Now let's combine them. $ cat data.yml --- names: [ {name: chris}, {name: mark}, {name: scott} ] --- $ cat template.mustache {{#names}} Hi {{name}}! {{/names}} $ cat data.yml template.mustache | mustache Hi chris! Hi mark! Hi scott! If you provide multiple YAML documents (as delimited by ---), your template will be rendered multiple times. Like a mail merge. For example: $ cat data.yml --- name: chris --- name: mark --- name: scott --- $ cat template.mustache Hi {{name}}! $ cat data.yml template.mustache | mustache Hi chris! Hi mark! Hi scott! OPTIONS
By default mustache will try to render a Mustache template using the YAML frontmatter you provide. It can do a few other things, however. -c, --compile Print the compiled Ruby version of a given template. This is the code that is actually used when rendering a template into a string. Useful for debugging but only if you are familiar with Mustache's internals. -t, --tokens Print the tokenized form of a given Mustache template. This can be used to understand how Mustache parses a template. The tokens are handed to a generator which compiles them into a Ruby string. Syntax errors and confused tags, therefor, can probably be identified by examining the tokens produced. INSTALLATION
If you have RubyGems installed: gem install mustache EXAMPLES
$ mustache data.yml template.mustache $ cat data.yml | mustache - template.mustache $ mustache -c template.mustache $ cat <<data | ruby mustache - template.mustache --- name: Bob age: 30 --- data COPYRIGHT
Mustache is Copyright (C) 2009 Chris Wanstrath Original CTemplate by Google SEE ALSO
mustache(5), mustache(7), gem(1), http://mustache.github.com/ DEFUNKT
May 2010 MUSTACHE(1)