Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix command to select first few characters and last character of a line Post 302642119 by Sanjeev Yadav on Thursday 17th of May 2012 03:01:43 AM
Old 05-17-2012
Thanks ! It worked.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to select a particular media from the printer with a UNIX command

Problem Overview: We have a scheduler that prints report on any of the network printer. Problem Statement: We need to find a UNIX command that picks up either A4, legal or letter size paper form the printer. I found out a command but it's not working on our environment. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HelpMeOUt
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read a variable character by character, substitute characters with something else

im having trouble doing this: i have a variable with 2 characters repeating e.g. aababbbaaaababaabbaabbba is there a way i can search the variable for a's and b's and then change a's to b's and b's to a's? im guessing its like getting the 1's compliment of the string im doing this in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipervenom25
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all characters from 350th character to 450th character from the log file

Hi All, I have a big log file i want to delete all characters (between 350th to 450th characters) starting at 350th character position to 450th character position. please advice or sample code. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To bring all characters in one line in unix

How to bring all characters in one line in unix/solaris ? Eg : If it is a b c then it should show abc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahen1naik
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix-problem of New line character

Hi All, "Please read the below information carefully." i have tried the below code for counting the number of lines present in text file ignoring blank lines #! /bin/bash clear rdCount=0; while read myline do if ; then echo "line is empty" else echo $myline let... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete characters from each line until meet character ":"

Hello, I have file that looks like this : 765327564:line1 94:line2 7865:line3 ..... 765322:linen I want to cut all the digits from the beginning of each line up to ":" character and to have everything like this : line1 line2 line3 ..... linen P.S : content of line1 ...... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a multiple line list with the select command in ksh?

I copied the below program to play around with displaying a list of items using the select command in ksh. When I put all items in the same line, it works fine. I am trying to use multiple lines instead of a single row...my list is too large for a single line. How do I get the line continuation... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haganator
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)