Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How best to remove certain characters from filenames and folders recursively Post 302641897 by prometheon123 on Wednesday 16th of May 2012 04:23:05 PM
Old 05-16-2012
I think I understand. So both lines, should look like:
Code:
find . -depth -name "*\/*?”<>|*"

|
and
Code:
NEWFILE="${FILE//[\/*?”<>|]/_}"

Did I get that right?

Then I should run
Code:
sh renamefiles.sh BoxMigraiton/FILESHAREWITHBADFILENAMES

, correct?

Last edited by prometheon123; 05-16-2012 at 05:46 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from filename recursively

hi: i have several thousand files from users and of course they use all kind of characters on filenames. I have things like: My special report (1999 ) Lisa & Jack's work.doc crazy. How do I remove all this characters in the current dir and subdirs too? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete recursively contents of folders

hi, I've a folder structure like : /home/project/LIBNAMEA/FILE1 /home/project/LIBNAMED/FILE2 /home/project/LIBNAMEC/FILE3 /home/project/LIBNAMED/FILE4 /home/project/LIBNAMEX/FILE5 (there is no relation in the letters after the project/ ) and i need to delete the files keeping... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtmartins
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

RSYNC script to transfer folders recursively without overwriting via FTP

Hi all, I would need a bash script to sync/transfer folders recursively via FTP/RSYNC (I initially planned to use FTP but I heard RSYNC would fit a lot better for this job(?)) The situation: 3 different Linux servers 1. source 2. destination - Samba 3. Server where the script runs on ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibautp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames under different folders...

Hi, all: I'd love to use shell script to change all filenames under different folders once for all: I've got over 100 folders, in each of them, there is a file named "a.ppm". I wanna change all these "a.ppm" to "b.ppm", and still . Visually, the directory structure looks like: and hope... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find & remove characters in filenames

I have a group of files in different directories with characters such as " ? : in the file names. How do I find these files and remove these characters on mass? Thanks (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! Need to compare 2 folders on 2 different systems, and copy unmatched filenames to other folder

This has been tearing my hair out. I need to: 1: compare server1:/data/archive/ to server2:/data/archive/ (through rsync, ssh, etc) 2: filenames that don't match, get copied (scp) to server2:/data/ server1 and server2 have ssh, scp, rsync access between eachother. Is there any option in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp script to copy folders recursively

hi all I want a script that will use ftp to copy folder and sub folders from source server to current server. if i use -r switch then it just copies folders for 5 level. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursively going through folders and subdirectorys and running delete from crontab

Hio, So I have a crontab delete of older files setup. This script works fine if I run them by each individual directory. Problem is there are so many thousands of files and hundreds of directories and sub directories that I need to recursively have it go through and delete files by directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change filenames recursively

Hello, I made a mistake in a script and now need to go back and change allot of filenames. I need to change "v4" in filenames to "v3". I was thinking of something like this. #!/bin/bash FILELIST=$(ls -f -R *) for FILE in $FILELIST do # create new filename ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare partial filenames in two folders and delete duplicates

Background: I use a TV tuner card to capture OTA video files (.mpeg) and then my Plex Media Server automatically optimizes the files (transcodes for better playback) and places them in a new directory. I have another Plex Library pointing to the new location for the optimized .mp4 files. This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaky
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)