Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How best to remove certain characters from filenames and folders recursively Post 302641891 by Corona688 on Wednesday 16th of May 2012 04:12:26 PM
Old 05-16-2012
There's two expressions actually. Look for the comments with 'bad' in them.

The one in 'find' has * on the beginning and end because the expression has to match the entire file/dir name for find to print it... The bash expression on the other hand only matches the part you want to change.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from filename recursively

hi: i have several thousand files from users and of course they use all kind of characters on filenames. I have things like: My special report (1999 ) Lisa & Jack's work.doc crazy. How do I remove all this characters in the current dir and subdirs too? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete recursively contents of folders

hi, I've a folder structure like : /home/project/LIBNAMEA/FILE1 /home/project/LIBNAMED/FILE2 /home/project/LIBNAMEC/FILE3 /home/project/LIBNAMED/FILE4 /home/project/LIBNAMEX/FILE5 (there is no relation in the letters after the project/ ) and i need to delete the files keeping... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtmartins
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

RSYNC script to transfer folders recursively without overwriting via FTP

Hi all, I would need a bash script to sync/transfer folders recursively via FTP/RSYNC (I initially planned to use FTP but I heard RSYNC would fit a lot better for this job(?)) The situation: 3 different Linux servers 1. source 2. destination - Samba 3. Server where the script runs on ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibautp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames under different folders...

Hi, all: I'd love to use shell script to change all filenames under different folders once for all: I've got over 100 folders, in each of them, there is a file named "a.ppm". I wanna change all these "a.ppm" to "b.ppm", and still . Visually, the directory structure looks like: and hope... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find & remove characters in filenames

I have a group of files in different directories with characters such as " ? : in the file names. How do I find these files and remove these characters on mass? Thanks (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! Need to compare 2 folders on 2 different systems, and copy unmatched filenames to other folder

This has been tearing my hair out. I need to: 1: compare server1:/data/archive/ to server2:/data/archive/ (through rsync, ssh, etc) 2: filenames that don't match, get copied (scp) to server2:/data/ server1 and server2 have ssh, scp, rsync access between eachother. Is there any option in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp script to copy folders recursively

hi all I want a script that will use ftp to copy folder and sub folders from source server to current server. if i use -r switch then it just copies folders for 5 level. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursively going through folders and subdirectorys and running delete from crontab

Hio, So I have a crontab delete of older files setup. This script works fine if I run them by each individual directory. Problem is there are so many thousands of files and hundreds of directories and sub directories that I need to recursively have it go through and delete files by directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change filenames recursively

Hello, I made a mistake in a script and now need to go back and change allot of filenames. I need to change "v4" in filenames to "v3". I was thinking of something like this. #!/bin/bash FILELIST=$(ls -f -R *) for FILE in $FILELIST do # create new filename ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare partial filenames in two folders and delete duplicates

Background: I use a TV tuner card to capture OTA video files (.mpeg) and then my Plex Media Server automatically optimizes the files (transcodes for better playback) and places them in a new directory. I have another Plex Library pointing to the new location for the optimized .mp4 files. This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaky
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output; unless the -h flag is used, the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ed(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -s No output is produced, only status. -h Do not print filename headers with output lines. -y Lower case letters in the pattern will also match upper case letters in the input (grep only). -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ? ' " ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character matches that character. The character ^ ($) matches the beginning (end) of a line. A . matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by * (+, ?) matches a sequence of 0 or more (1 or more, 0 or 1) matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. GREP(1)