Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting the last 10mins worth of data in a log file Post 302641765 by Corona688 on Wednesday 16th of May 2012 01:10:28 PM
Old 05-16-2012
I'm presuming you have GNU date since you have Linux so you can do
Code:
date -d " - 10 minutes" +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"

An interesting property of YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS timestamps is they sort and compare in proper order. Later dates will be greater than earlier dates in simple ASCII < > comparison.

Code:
awk -v LAST=$(date -d " - 10 minutes" +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") '($1 " " $2) >= LAST' logfile

If that doesn't work, please post a few lines of your logfile so I can test my solutions before posting them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting Data from a File

Hi I need to calculate the number of occurrences of a item in a number of files using Perl. The item appears continually throughout the files but in each case I only want to calculate it in certain blocks of the file. Example - Calculalte the number of occurrences of a 'pass' in a block of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oop
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i get only last 5 minute worth of data

I have a text file called 'tomcat_temp_out'. I want to get only last 5 minute worth of data from this file and redirect those data into another fule. Could you please help to work on this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivanete
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting data from a .csv file

I have a .csv file equipment,bandtype abc,aws def,mmds ghi,umts jkl,mmds I can get the equipment from `hostname`. In my script i want to check what is the hostname. then see if it exists in the.csv file. if it does then i want to store the second parameter(bandtype) for the corresponding... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from a log file with date formats

Hello, I have a log file for the year, which contains lines starting with the data in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. I need to get all the lines that contain the DD being 04, how would I do this? I tried using grep "*-*04" but it didn't work. Any quick one liners I should know about? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpickering
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific lines of data from a file and related lines of data based on a grep value range?

Hi, I have one file, say file 1, that has data like below where 19900107 is the date, 19900107 12 144 129 0.7380047 19900108 12 168 129 0.3149017 19900109 12 192 129 3.2766666E-02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wynner
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting data from file

I am trying to compare the data in lines 3 & 5 to see if they match up to the '-S570' (see first code set, all proprietary information has been removed from code set) spawn telnet Trying ... Connected to CA-LOS1234-ASE-S570.cl . Escape character is '^]'. CA-LOS1234-ASE-S570 Username: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slipshft
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Delimiter 'TAG' Data From log files

Hi I am trying to extract data from within a log file and output format to a new file for further manipulation can someone provide script to do this? For example I have a file as below and just want to extract all delimited variances of tag 32=* up to the delimiter "|" and output to a new file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddyluv
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in extracting data from XML File

Hi All My input file is an XML and it has some tags and data rows at end. Starting of data rows is <rs:data> and ending of data rows is </rs:data>. Within sample data rows (2 rows) shown below, I want to extract data value after equal to sign (until space or "/" sign). So if XML data... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while extracting data from log file

I am running awk command to extract data from log file to calculate last 15 minutes log using below command and now i am getting bellow error: awk '$0>=$from' from=$(`date -u +"####<%d-%b-%Y %H:%M:%S o'clock GMT>"-15min`) test.log Error: date: 0551-402 Invalid character in date/time... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oberoi1403
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from rsync log

Hi I have a daily rsync that runs and i am trying to find a easy way of extracting the start time and end time of the sync and extract the details of how much data was copied. I would like to use this information to see if i can increase the amount of rsyncs that run in a day. so the log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
3 Replies
DP(8)								     [nmh-1.5]								     DP(8)

NAME
dp - parse dates 822-style SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/dp [-form formatfile] [-format string] [-width columns] [-version] [-help] dates ... DESCRIPTION
Dp is a program that parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard. It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using ctime(3). It is useful for seeing how nmh will interpret a date. The dp program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official 822-format. Hence, it is usually best to enclose each argument in quotes for the shell. To override the output format used by dp, the -format string or -format file switches are used. This permits individual fields of the address to be extracted with ease. The string is simply a format string and the file is simply a format file. See mh-format(5) for the details. Here is the default format string used by dp: %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(putstr(pretty{text}))%> which says that if an error was detected, print the error, a `:', and the date in error. Otherwise, output the 822-proper format of the date. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
ap(8), Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC-822) DEFAULTS
`-format' default as described above `-width' default to the width of the terminal CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -format switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes dp. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside quotes. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 DP(8)