Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting split string into array in shell Post 302641601 by gary_w on Wednesday 16th of May 2012 09:52:34 AM
Old 05-16-2012
Code:
$ cat x
#!/bin/ksh

IFS="|"
STRING="foo|bar|baz"

set -A array $STRING

print ${array[0]}
print ${array[1]}
print ${array[2]}

exit 0
$ x
foo
bar
baz
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH] Split string into array

Hi, Is there any way to convert a string into an array in KSH? In other words I want to split the string like this: STRING="one two three four" into an array of 4 values splitting on white space. The array should be similar to the one that would be created with the following command: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

split varibles and store fields into shell varible array

I need to split a long varible which is a whole line read from a file into fields and store them in an array, the fields are delimited by pipe and a field may contain white spaces. I tried the following concept test and it has problem with field 5 which contain a space, appearently so because... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gratus
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

split files by specifying a string (bash shell)

Hi all, I have a file of around 300 lines in which string "SERVER" occurs around 32 times. for eg. I need to split files like, for eg I am using this code awk '/SERVER/{n++}{print > f n}' f=/vikas/list /vikas/final But the problem is that it makes maximum of 10 files, but I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to parse/split input string and display the tokens

Hi, How do I parse/split lines (strings) read from a file and display the individual tokens in a shell script? Given that the length of individual lines is not constant and number of tokens in each line is also not constant. The input file could be as below: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yajaykumar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SPLIT STRING in bash shell script

i need one help.... if i have a string like aaaaa,bbbbb,ccccc,aaaaa How to to split the string and check howmany times aaaaa will be in that string? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthinvk
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell string array

Hi all, I want to create an array variable in shell, for example: #!/bin/sh name="foo" name="bar" name="baz" But above code didn't work, I also tried with: name=(foo bar baz) and set -A name foo bar baz but none of these worked. Another question is how to know the shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roy987
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oneliner ---split string to character by piping shell output to perl

Hello, I was trying to split a string to characters by perl oneliner. echo "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" | perl -e 'split // ' But did not work as with bash script pipe: echo "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" | fold -w1 | sort | uniq -ic 8 1 T 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split string into map (Associative Array)

Hi Input: { committed = 782958592; init = 805306368; max = 1051394048; used = 63456712; } Result: A map (maybe Associative Array) where I can iterate through the key/value. Something like this: for key in $map do echo key=$key value=$map done Sample output from the map: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to split a string into array?

value=malayalam # i need to store the value in an array by splitting the character #the output i need is m a l a y a l a m Please use CODE tags for output data as well as required by forum rules! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to split the string value to an array?

Test1.txt Tom is hot Test.sh filename="/directory/Test1.txt" set - A store while IFS= read value do awk '{split($value,store," ")}' done < "$filename" echo ${#sore} From the code in the executing file, I would like each... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestKing
8 Replies
PRINT(3)								 1								  PRINT(3)

print - Output a string

SYNOPSIS
int print (string $arg) DESCRIPTION
Outputs $arg. print is not actually a real function (it is a language construct) so you are not required to use parentheses with its argument list. PARAMETERS
o $arg - The input data. RETURN VALUES
Returns 1, always. EXAMPLES
Example #1 print examples <?php print("Hello World"); print "print() also works without parentheses."; print "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; print "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; print "escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside a print statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; print "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $bar = array("value" => "foo"); print "this is {$bar['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value print 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just print variables print $foo; // foobar print <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon no extra whitespace! END; ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
echo(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group PRINT(3)