Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris upgrade/migration procedures Post 302641259 by nivaspIND on Wednesday 16th of May 2012 01:58:00 AM
Old 05-16-2012
Solaris upgrade/migration procedures

Guys,

I am more into IBM/HP unix stuff and my org wants me to do some kungfu on SUN Smilie , I have fair understanding of solaris only and I need ur help .
I have to migrate all of my existing solaris boxes to their latest levels ( soalris 10) , having this daunting task I need your suggestions on what could be the best way to accomplish, I have systems with the following configurations Solaris 6 , Solaris 8 and Solaris 9. We dont have vendor support as of now. My queries :

- Can we upgrade Solaris6/8 to Solaris 10
- I am aware of the fact that Solaris 9 can be migrated to Solaris 10 using live upgrade but can we do that for the rest or do we have any alternate options
- Is there any other way apart from live upgrade to do the migrration

- Is migration to Solaris 11 is a good option , if thats the case how can we do it?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Calling Oracle Stored Procedures in UNIx(sun solaris)

I have created 3 Procedures all similar to this one: I then created 3 shell sripts which will call the sql? finally created a calling script to call the procedure. I am a bit unsure how to this all works, can someone check my code and I am doing this right? Also could I add my procedure (first... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: etravels
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Migration Solaris 5.8 to 10

Hi, it is necessary to make the migration of Solaris 5.8 for Solaris 10, would like to know which the best form to execute this task, if to be able to say me where I can arrange some manual that helps me to make this task. Thanks :o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bruno_a_correia
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris migration

Hi , There is going to be a server migration from Solaris 8.0 to Solaris10.0. Could anyone give me some tips and documents regarding the steps to be remembered,tips to be followed etc. like syntax differences any new changes to the existing commands and tools we use whatever the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Migration of Solaris 10 on physical host to Solaris Zones

Hi All Kindly let me know how can I move Solaris 10 OS running update 10 on physical machine to another machine solaris zone running Solaris 10 update 11 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
2 Replies
suninstall(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    suninstall(1M)

NAME
suninstall - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
suninstall DESCRIPTION
install-solaris(1M) is now the preferred command for starting and restarting the Solaris Installation program. It should be used instead of suninstall. suninstall is symbolically linked to install-solaris. suninstall is a forms-based and graphical subsystem for installing the operating system. suninstall exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should only be invoked from there. Refer to the Solaris 10 Instal- lation Guide: Basic Installations for more details. suninstall allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. suninstall loads the software available on the installa- tion media. Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for disk space requirements. USAGE
Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for more information on the various menus and selections. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkginfo(1), install(1M), install-solaris(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations NOTES
It is advisable to exit suninstall by means of the exit options in the suninstall menus. SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 2004 suninstall(1M)