Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing a pattern in different cases in different columns with a single pattern Post 302641053 by Corona688 on Tuesday 15th of May 2012 02:45:34 PM
Old 05-15-2012
Code:
sed 's/[pP][eE][tT][eE][rR]/Peter/g' input > output

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing more than 1 pattern in a line

Hi, pls advise how we could make change to more than one pattern in a single line using sed.. ie: IGNORE abcd delete}}} COND IGNORE efgh}}} will yield in abcd delete}} COND IGNORE efgh}}} Pls note that IGNORE may not be in the start of line, IGNORE is intended to be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manan
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing between pattern

Hi all, I been searching the forum for a few hours now and can't find exactly what I need to replace text between two patterns. Below is what I want to accomplish /* Any text between these to sympols */ changed to.... /* This will be the new text to change */ ..and I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauky
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing pattern

Hi, I have a file which contains the below data. I want to change pattern to correct format. # tail -1 test.log | awk '{print $8}' 10/09/23 # I want the format to be 23/09/10 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nareshkumar522
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing pattern

Hi, I have a file which contains the below data. I want to search for a pattern server="http://bushby.mis.amat.com:12440" and remove it from the file. Please let me know how can i do this. <Object name="reverse-proxy-/endeavour/"> ObjectType fn="http-client-config" timeout="1800"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing pattern

hi, I want to do replacing of some pattern by using sed. pattern : " white space / to white space / please help -bhrat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhrat kapoor
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match Pattern after certain pattern and Print words next to Pattern

Hi experts , im new to Unix,AWK ,and im just not able to get this right. I need to match for some patterns if it matches I need to print the next few words to it.. I have only three such conditions to match… But I need to print only those words that comes after satisfying the first condition..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the pattern and replacing the pattern inside the file

i have little challenge, help me out.i have a file where i have a value declared and and i have to replace the value when called. for example i have the value for abc and ccc. now i have to substitute the value of value abc and ccc in the place of them. Input File: go to &abc=ddd; if... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern replacing

Hi, I have a text file with lots of text (strings,numbers,special characters etc). I am trying to replace any occurrence of these strings : 90% 91% 92% .... 100% I want to replace them with : "90%" "91%" "92%" .... "100%" I am now using 10 sed commands for replacement but I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD