Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Eth0 Limitations
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Eth0 Limitations Post 302640881 by mark54g on Tuesday 15th of May 2012 03:22:57 PM
Old 05-15-2012
Duffs,

You are confused. One, we'd need to know what card it is and the driver in order to tell you what "limitations" it has.

What are the problems you have had with performance? Do you realize that even a 1Gbit card is really only running around 100 Megabytes per second, assuming your switch can even handle that?

Are you configuring the switch and card as full duplex or as auto detect? Most Gigabit and faster connections recommend auto detection for optimal performance.

Without knowing what your issue is, we cannot help you. Does the app send lots of small packets or fewer large ones? Do you do interrupt coalescence? Are you using Nagle's algorithm?

Have you tuned your kernel parameters?

The metrics you have shown have only told us how many packets have hit the wire, and no time frame, or anything.

Let me ask you. How many gallons should it take for me to get to work by driving?

I have not told you how far it is, how fast I drive, what car it is, how well tuned it is, etc, or the inflation of my tires.

---------- Post updated at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
I think you need to post the difference between two samples over a given reasonable period of time.

Depending on what network kit this server is plugged into, auto-negotiation should be avoided. It usually needs turning off on the server and the LAN port. Similarly anywhere where network components are cascaded.
It looks like auto-negotiation is off on your server.
For gigabit, auto-neg is almost always recommended. Performance deteriorates when they try to force.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csplit limitations

I am trying to use the csplit file on a file that contains records that have more than 2048 characters on a line. The resultant split file seems to ignore the rest of the line and I lose the data. Is there any way that csplit can handle record lengths greater than 2048? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravagga
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password limitations.

I would like to set my minimum password length to on Linux and AIX. However, doing this normally would only make it so newly added users will be affected by this. I would like for when I make this change, it either truncates everyone elses password, or prompts them to change it to 8+ characters.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 9 or 10 LUN Limitations

Is there a limit to the number of LUNS that can be concatenated using Solaris Volume manager with Soft partitions? I have worked with some AIX admins in the past and there was such a limitation therefore limiting the size the filesystem could grow to. Is there such a limitation in Solaris 9... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
6 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Limitations on the partition of linux

Hi, I need a documentation about limitations on the linux partition. On how many primary and extended I could create. And also on different type of storage, how many big capacity I can create. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl limitations vs. bash?

I've building a bunch of bash scripts, and am thinking about "converting" to perl, and have a couple questions first: 1. Is there anything bash will do that perl won't? 2. How steep is the learning curve? 3. If perl's more powerful, why? 4. I've built a small app in python, which seemed nice,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitations of tac/cat?

As part of a quiz assigned during my unix class I was asked to write a program to ask for a file name, print read errors, and "reverse elements in a list." I used the 'tac' command in my solution, however, I was then lectured for 5 min about the "limitations" of the 'tac' command and how a 'for'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 127.0.0.1
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris limitations

Hi, I recently started working with Solaris, and what I noticed is that a lot of commands I used to regularly use don't work, like sed -i and grep -r. I have found work arounds for these problems though but it's a pain in the ass. I'm just wondering why they decided not to include these handy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Limitations of 'pdftotext' in Linux...

Guys: I have a customer using the 'pdftotext' utility under Linux. PDFs are received via email, converted to text, etc. and it has worked nicely for years. They received a PDF from a customer and the utility will not read it. The text file is created but it's either empty or has 1-2 bytes of... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenlenard
23 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)