Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Eth0 Limitations
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Eth0 Limitations Post 302640881 by mark54g on Tuesday 15th of May 2012 03:22:57 PM
Old 05-15-2012
Duffs,

You are confused. One, we'd need to know what card it is and the driver in order to tell you what "limitations" it has.

What are the problems you have had with performance? Do you realize that even a 1Gbit card is really only running around 100 Megabytes per second, assuming your switch can even handle that?

Are you configuring the switch and card as full duplex or as auto detect? Most Gigabit and faster connections recommend auto detection for optimal performance.

Without knowing what your issue is, we cannot help you. Does the app send lots of small packets or fewer large ones? Do you do interrupt coalescence? Are you using Nagle's algorithm?

Have you tuned your kernel parameters?

The metrics you have shown have only told us how many packets have hit the wire, and no time frame, or anything.

Let me ask you. How many gallons should it take for me to get to work by driving?

I have not told you how far it is, how fast I drive, what car it is, how well tuned it is, etc, or the inflation of my tires.

---------- Post updated at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
I think you need to post the difference between two samples over a given reasonable period of time.

Depending on what network kit this server is plugged into, auto-negotiation should be avoided. It usually needs turning off on the server and the LAN port. Similarly anywhere where network components are cascaded.
It looks like auto-negotiation is off on your server.
For gigabit, auto-neg is almost always recommended. Performance deteriorates when they try to force.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csplit limitations

I am trying to use the csplit file on a file that contains records that have more than 2048 characters on a line. The resultant split file seems to ignore the rest of the line and I lose the data. Is there any way that csplit can handle record lengths greater than 2048? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravagga
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password limitations.

I would like to set my minimum password length to on Linux and AIX. However, doing this normally would only make it so newly added users will be affected by this. I would like for when I make this change, it either truncates everyone elses password, or prompts them to change it to 8+ characters.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 9 or 10 LUN Limitations

Is there a limit to the number of LUNS that can be concatenated using Solaris Volume manager with Soft partitions? I have worked with some AIX admins in the past and there was such a limitation therefore limiting the size the filesystem could grow to. Is there such a limitation in Solaris 9... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
6 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Limitations on the partition of linux

Hi, I need a documentation about limitations on the linux partition. On how many primary and extended I could create. And also on different type of storage, how many big capacity I can create. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl limitations vs. bash?

I've building a bunch of bash scripts, and am thinking about "converting" to perl, and have a couple questions first: 1. Is there anything bash will do that perl won't? 2. How steep is the learning curve? 3. If perl's more powerful, why? 4. I've built a small app in python, which seemed nice,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitations of tac/cat?

As part of a quiz assigned during my unix class I was asked to write a program to ask for a file name, print read errors, and "reverse elements in a list." I used the 'tac' command in my solution, however, I was then lectured for 5 min about the "limitations" of the 'tac' command and how a 'for'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 127.0.0.1
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris limitations

Hi, I recently started working with Solaris, and what I noticed is that a lot of commands I used to regularly use don't work, like sed -i and grep -r. I have found work arounds for these problems though but it's a pain in the ass. I'm just wondering why they decided not to include these handy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Limitations of 'pdftotext' in Linux...

Guys: I have a customer using the 'pdftotext' utility under Linux. PDFs are received via email, converted to text, etc. and it has worked nicely for years. They received a PDF from a customer and the utility will not read it. The text file is created but it's either empty or has 1-2 bytes of... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenlenard
23 Replies
3C574_CS(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       3C574_CS(4)

NAME
3c574_cs - 3Com 3c574 Etherlink XL 10/100 PC Card device driver SYNOPSIS
insmod 3c574_cs.o [pc_debug=n] [if_port=n] [irq_list=i,j,...] [full_duplex=n] [auto_polarity=n] [max_interrupt_work=n] DESCRIPTION
3c574_cs is the low-level Card Services driver for the 3Com 3c574 EtherLink XL PCMCIA ethernet adapter. When this driver is attached to a card, it allocates the next available ethernet device (eth0..eth#). This device name will be reported in the kernel log file, and passed on to cardmgr(8). The driver uses the N-Way autonegotiating transceiver to negotiate the speed and duplex of the network link. If the link partner does not support negotiation, only the link speed is detected. PARAMETERS
pc_debug=n Selects the PCMCIA debugging level. This parameter is only available if the module is compiled with debugging enabled. A non-zero value enables debugging. if_port=n Selects the transceiver type. Only 0, 1, and 4 are acceptable values, other values return an error. This actual value specificed is ignored -- the autonegotiating transceiver selects the media speed and duplex used. irq_list=i,j,... This option limits the set of interrupts that may be allocated by this driver. The default is all normally-usable IRQs. full_duplex=n This flag determines if only full-duplex modes are advertised. It defaults to 0 (false). This flag can be used to control the transceiver's auto polarity detection capability. Some Cisco Catalyst switches are known to interact badly with this feature in 10baseT mode. It defaults to 1 (enabled). max_interrupt_work=work-limit This option selects the maximum amount of work handled during each interrupt. Each received packet counts as one unit of work, as does updating statistics counters and handling errors. The default is 32. DIAGNOSTICS
eth#: interrupt(s) dropped! Indicates that the driver did not receive an interrupt notification for some reason. The driver will poll the card (with a signifi- cant performance penalty) if the problem persists. The most likely cause is an interrupt conflict and/or host bridge configuration problem. AUTHOR
Driver core: Donald Becker - becker@scyld.com PC Card interface: David Hinds - dahinds@users.sourceforge.net SEE ALSO
cardmgr(8), pcmcia(5), ifport(8). pcmcia-cs $Date 3C574_CS(4)