Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Moving Files Automatically
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Moving Files Automatically Post 302640421 by abudis on Monday 14th of May 2012 06:26:25 PM
Old 05-14-2012
Thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate it.

It did in fact work, and I must say will save me a lot of silly time.

I am starting to read a book on shell scripting, so this is an awesome little start to it. I am familiar with C++ and Java, but am obviously new to this.

For educational purposes, would you mind explaining what "i' represents in the code?

Cheers!

---------- Post updated at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:08 PM ----------

Did the obvious editing necessary. One last question to make this script simply PERFECT! Smilie

If I wanted to take a group of folders on my Desktop and move all the content of those folders to the desktop (in a non organized fashion) how would I do that? Or if you can respond with guidance... I'm more then happy to continue the learning process.

Thanks again!

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for i in ~/Desktop/*.avi
do
mv "$i" /Volumes/Drobo/Movies
done

#!/bin/bash
for i in ~/Desktop/*.mp4
do
mv "$i" /Volumes/Drobo/Movies
done

for i in ~/Desktop/*.mp3
do
mv "$i" /Volumes/Drobo/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes.localized
done

echo "\nSCRIPT COMPLETE\n"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I automatically find important files???

how can I automatically check if important files exist in a directory and if not, automatically put the important files where they are needed say, I want to put .bashrc and a dozen other important files like it into every user's directory, how can I do this??? how do I check every user's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving logs automatically but not removing

hello all, Need assistance on the subject line above. I have a logserver.log located at /usr/local/logserver. It's NSLOGDEPTH=100. I'm not sure if this is the reason but my log file retention is only up to 100 only.. sample logserver001.log logserver002.log ... ... logserver100.log ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files automatically

Ok here is my issue. I have processes which will get screwed up and not run because certain log directories wind up filled too much and a directory will have 100,000 files in it. The only way to fix this is to move files out of this directory until the number of files is small enough that the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving the files in a.txt files to a different directory

HI All, I am coding a shell script which will pick all the .csv files in a particular directoryand write it in to a .txt file, this .txt file i will use as a source in datastage for processing. now after the processing is done I have to move and archive all the files in the .txt file to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhasri_2020
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving Multiple files to destination files

I am running a code like this foreach list ($tmp) mv *_${list}.txt ${chart}_${list}.txt #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a directory mv *_${list}.doc ${chart}_${list}.doc #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files by automatically creating directories

I am in a situation where I have some hundreds of thousands of files in a directory (name of directory: big_directory). Now, working on this directory is extremely slow. I now plan to do this: Copy 1000 files in each of the directories by creating the directories automatically. All files have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with wc -l results = 1 then moving the files to another folder

Hi guys can you please help me with a script to find files with one row/1 line of content then move the file to another directory my script below runs but nothing happens to the files....Alternatively Ca I get a script to find the *.csv files with "wc -1" results = 1 then create a list of those... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dj Moi
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log files automatically.

Here is the script I want to run to deleted log files after a certain time: touch /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/apps/RSA/logs find /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/apps/RSA/logs -atime +120 - exec rm -rf {}\; Exerytime I run it, it throws me the error: find: paths must... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lennyz04
2 Replies

9. AIX

Moving Hidden files to normal files

I have a bunch of hidden files in a directory in AIX. I would like to move these hidden files as regular files to another directory. Say i have the following files in directory /x .test~1234~567 .report~5678~123 .find~9876~576 i would like to move them to directory /y as test~1234~567... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: umesh.narain
10 Replies
Desktop::Notify::Notification(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Desktop::Notify::Notification(3pm)

NAME
Desktop::Notify::Notification - a notification object for the desktop notifications framework VERSION
Version 0.03 SYNOPSIS
# $notify is an existing Desktop::Notify object my $note = $notify->create(summary => 'Rebuilding FooBar', body => 'Progress: 10%'); $note->show; ... # Update the notification later $note->body('Progress: 20%'); $note->show; ... # Take it off the screen $note->close; DESCRIPTION
Desktop notification objects are represented as objects of this class. They are created by a Desktop::Notify object. Displaying, closing, and modifying the notification is done by using methods in this class. METHODS
new $notify, %params This is called internally by Desktop::Notify to create a new notification object. show Display the notification on the screen. If this notification had previously been shown and not closed yet, it will replace the existing notification. Show can be called multiple times on the same notification, probably with attribute changes between calls, and later show calls will cause the server to seamlessly replace the existing notification. close Close the notification if it is already being displayed. ATTRIBUTES
The following parameters can be set when creating the object or later modified using accessors (descriptions are from the specification at <http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/0.9/x408.html>) summary The summary text briefly describing the notification. body The optional detailed body text. Can be empty. timeout The timeout time in milliseconds since the display of the notification at which the notification should automatically close. If -1, the notification's expiration time is dependent on the notification server's settings, and may vary for the type of notification. If 0, never expire. The following extra parameters are included in the specification but not supported by Desktop::Notify at this time app_icon The optional program icon of the calling application. actions Actions are sent over as a list of pairs. Each even element in the list (starting at index 0) represents the identifier for the action. Each odd element in the list is the localized string that will be displayed to the user. hints Optional hints that can be passed to the server from the client program. perl v5.10.1 2009-12-25 Desktop::Notify::Notification(3pm)