Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reverse lookup issue
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reverse lookup issue Post 302640121 by clogan1981 on Monday 14th of May 2012 08:17:42 AM
Old 05-14-2012
Reverse lookup issue

I came back to my solaris 10 system after a week of being gone and xterm no longer work. I checked into it and the system doesn't reverse lookup my client system. There is a manual entry for my system in the /etc/hosts file and a forward lookup works fine, but I still can't get reverse lookup. Any suggestions?

---------- Post updated at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:14 AM ----------

Sorry to bother everyone, appearantly my nic didn't initialize correctly, I had to reboot the client.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

reverse lookup for email

when we send email or try to telnet to a site that requires reverse lookup to be enabled the connection is refused. i have the O'Reilly book DNS and Bind and in it are examples of what the reverse zone file should look like. i don't see a line that defines an email server in the example. is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Westy564
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

reverse lookup file problem

I'm trying to create a reverse lookup file. Below are the error messages I get in the messages file, when I start named. Below the error messages is a copy of the reverse lookup file I'm trying to use. I'm using Bind version 8.1.2. Would someone recommend the correct values and if you see any... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

reverse lookup again

our server (solaris, bind v 8.1.2) is suppose to be the authoritive or the master and our isp's server is suppose be the secondary. i've created a reverse lookup zone file and added an entry for it in my named.conf file. i've restarted the dns daemon and i don't have any errors in... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix 8.2 and reverse Lookup

We have Unix configured as our external DNS, forward DNS is working properly, however Reverse lookup is not working. Any idea what the problem is? I have checked the named.boot and .rev file and everything seems to be correctly. However it appears that the reverse zone file in the named.boot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cassy
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Reverse lookup

Help having problems accesing various sites that require me to be a registered .gov domain. My IP is a registered as an .gov but my nameserver record has changed on my DNS configurartion(I don't know why) from something.gov to somethingelse.gov. Same IP, though. When a reverse lookup is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpalmer320
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clueless about how to lookup and reverse lookup IP addresses under a file!!.pls help

Write a quick shell snippet to find all of the IPV4 IP addresses in any and all of the files under /var/lib/output/*, ignoring whatever else may be in those files. Perform a reverse lookup on each, and format the output neatly, like "IP=192.168.0.1, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: choco4202002
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse lookup

hey guys, can anybody help me out here on the following: grep '^\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}$' ravi.txt mary.txt lisa.txt https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif i.e what i did was found ip addreses from different files and then i want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravis83
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[DNS] Reverse Lookup for 2 IP Addresses

Originally I had the server at home and on Comcast so I used dyndns.org for DNS. Once the server got a bit more popular, I leased a server at a colo facility. They set up the server name in their DNS so I didn't really have any reason to manage my own DNS. DynDNS was managing the domains and I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse lookup and sum also

Hi, I have log file name that shows the view name and some SQL statement time stamp. I want to summarize the SQL time with view. Here is the simple example Here the seqence is first it prints EventContext and all the SQL statement time and again EventContext. Want to summarize the time for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran123
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

DNS reverse lookup issue

Hi guys. Ok so let me lay out my configs. I can do a NSlookup from client to server BUT NOT a reverse lookup. DNS server: Optimus.jaydomain.com IP : 192.168.1.50 DNS Client: Megatron.jaydomain.com IP : 192.168.1.60 On Sever: # cat /etc/named.conf // // named.conf // // Provided... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies
TCP_TABLE(5)							File Formats Manual						      TCP_TABLE(5)

NAME
tcp_table - Postfix client/server table lookup protocol SYNOPSIS
postmap -q "string" tcp:host:port postmap -q - tcp:host:port <inputfile DESCRIPTION
The Postfix mail system uses optional tables for address rewriting or mail routing. These tables are usually in dbm or db format. Alterna- tively, table lookups can be directed to a TCP server. To find out what types of lookup tables your Postfix system supports use the "postconf -m" command. To test lookup tables, use the "postmap -q" command as described in the SYNOPSIS above. PROTOCOL DESCRIPTION
The TCP map class implements a very simple protocol: the client sends a request, and the server sends one reply. Requests and replies are sent as one line of ASCII text, terminated by the ASCII newline character. Request and reply parameters (see below) are separated by white- space. Send and receive operations must complete in 100 seconds. REQUEST FORMAT
Each request specifies a command, a lookup key, and possibly a lookup result. get SPACE key NEWLINE Look up data under the specified key. put SPACE key SPACE value NEWLINE This request is currently not implemented. REPLY FORMAT
Each reply specifies a status code and text. Replies must be no longer than 4096 characters including the newline terminator. 500 SPACE text NEWLINE In case of a lookup request, the requested data does not exist. In case of an update request, the request was rejected. The text describes the nature of the problem. 400 SPACE text NEWLINE This indicates an error condition. The text describes the nature of the problem. The client should retry the request later. 200 SPACE text NEWLINE The request was successful. In the case of a lookup request, the text contains an encoded version of the requested data. ENCODING
In request and reply parameters, the character %, each non-printing character, and each whitespace character must be replaced by %XX, where XX is the corresponding ASCII hexadecimal character value. The hexadecimal codes can be specified in any case (upper, lower, mixed). The Postfix client always encodes a request. The server may omit the encoding as long as the reply is guaranteed to not contain the % or NEWLINE character. SECURITY
Do not use TCP lookup tables for security critical purposes. The client-server connection is not protected and the server is not authenti- cated. BUGS
Only the lookup method is currently implemented. The client does not hang up when the connection is idle for a long time. SEE ALSO
postmap(1), Postfix lookup table manager regexp_table(5), format of regular expression tables pcre_table(5), format of PCRE tables cidr_table(5), format of CIDR tables README FILES
Use "postconf readme_directory" or "postconf html_directory" to locate this information. DATABASE_README, Postfix lookup table overview LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA TCP_TABLE(5)