Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vm ware linux
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting vm ware linux Post 302640093 by mohanm on Monday 14th of May 2012 05:38:43 AM
Old 05-14-2012
try
Code:
echo $SHELL

also check whether the SHELL environment variable is properly set in the .profile file in your home directory

same for the HOME environment variable also. This also should be properly set in the .profile file. I worked on unix only not on linux but i believe this will work for u.

Last edited by mohanm; 05-14-2012 at 06:46 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to mohanm For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Unix Ware 7

I have Installed SCO UnixWare 7 on to a 13 gig hd and up on istallation I noticed that that only 8gs where detected. I went ahead and continued the install just to see what I could learn from this. I'd like to know what happend. Also I used a free none comersial single user licenses that I had... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kikkin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Question - Does anyone know a good forum for selling Unix H/ware?

Hi ... apologies for posting in this section ... I figured this would be the best place to pose this question - does anyone know a good forum for selling Unix related hardware - I have a handful of HP C3750's that I would like to sell. I am located in Toronto. Thx. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krs1
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Middle ware application in Solaris

Hi Friends I need ur suggestions. I have 3+ experience in solaris10. Iam planning for study Web sphere in UNIX. Is this the right choice can i do that. how is the market value for WEBSPHERE. Waiting for the replys (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_krish
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Having solaris installed over VM ware machine in windows

I have installed solaris 10 over VM ware in windows machine. now i want to share the files from windows to solaris. how can i do so.. and pls tell if through putty i can access the solaris from windows machine without logging onto VMware. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jain_sharad143
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 SPARC for VM Ware

Hi All, Actually i need to install solaris 10 version over VMWare which is installed over my windows machine. On that solaris version i need to install Weblogic application server, I need to know where can i download SOLARIS 10 for this and also what is the difference in SPARC and x86 version and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jain_sharad143
10 Replies
rsh(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   rsh(1M)

NAME
rsh, restricted_shell - restricted shell command interpreter SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/rsh [-acefhiknprstuvx] [argument...] DESCRIPTION
rsh is a limiting version of the standard command interpreter sh, used to restrict logins to execution environments whose capabilities are more controlled than those of sh (see sh(1) for complete description and usage). When the shell is invoked, it scans the environment for the value of the environmental variable, SHELL. If it is found and rsh is the file name part of its value, the shell becomes a restricted shell. The actions of rsh are identical to those of sh, except that the following are disallowed: o changing directory (see cd(1)), o setting the value of $PATH, o pecifying path or command names containing /, o redirecting output (> and >>). The restrictions above are enforced after .profile is interpreted. A restricted shell can be invoked in one of the following ways: 1. rsh is the file name part of the last entry in the /etc/passwd file (see passwd(4)); 2. the environment variable SHELL exists and rsh is the file name part of its value; the environment variable SHELL needs to be set in the .login file; 3. the shell is invoked and rsh is the file name part of argument 0; 4. the shell is invoke with the -r option. When a command to be executed is found to be a shell procedure, rsh invokes sh to execute it. Thus, it is possible to provide to the end- user shell procedures that have access to the full power of the standard shell, while imposing a limited menu of commands; this scheme assumes that the end-user does not have write and execute permissions in the same directory. The net effect of these rules is that the writer of the .profile (see profile(4)) has complete control over user actions by performing guaranteed setup actions and leaving the user in an appropriate directory (probably not the login directory). The system administrator often sets up a directory of commands (that is, /usr/rbin) that can be safely invoked by a restricted shell. Some systems also provide a restricted editor, red. EXIT STATUS
Errors detected by the shell, such as syntax errors, cause the shell to return a non-zero exit status. If the shell is being used non- interactively execution of the shell file is abandoned. Otherwise, the shell returns the exit status of the last command executed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(1), cd(1), login(1), rsh(1), sh(1), exec(2), passwd(4), profile(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The restricted shell, /usr/lib/rsh, should not be confused with the remote shell, /usr/bin/rsh, which is documented in rsh(1). SunOS 5.10 1 Nov 1993 rsh(1M)