Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract all proper names from string with awk Post 302639857 by bartus11 on Sunday 13th of May 2012 11:45:53 AM
Old 05-13-2012
I don't see any difference here:
Quote:
like Gary Oldman, not Gary Oldman
Please use code tags to preserve white spaces.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Part of string from 3rd field $3 using AWK

I'm executing "wc -lc" command in a c shell script to get record count and byte counts and writing them to a file. I get the result with the full pathname of the file. But I do not want the path name to be printed in the output file. I heard that using Awk we can get this but I don't have any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stakuri
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk in shell script to extract an index of a substring from a parent string

Hi All, I am new to this shell scripting world. Struck up with a problem, can anyone of you please pull me out of this. Requirement : Need to get the index of a substring from a parent string Eg : index("Sandy","dy") should return 4 or 3. My Approach : I used Awk function index to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepms17
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Proper Expression To Not Include A String...

I have a folder of scripts: bash:/folderpath/> ls beginFile.sh beginFileBackup.sh beginAnother.sh beginAnotherBackup.sh beginJunk.sh beginJunkBackup.sh I'd like to be able to call just one (beginFile.sh) using this type of scheme: #Run the beginFile script without the word "Backup" in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk extract a string from a file

Hi, I have a file which has thousand of lines with lines starting with And I want to extract and show to user only the below string from all the lines Please note note that the above string is a time stamp and it would be different on all the lines. Please tell me how to extract... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract a paticular string from the text file with awk.

hello forum members I have txt file which consists the following information. Server: abababa.xyz.ap.mxmx.com Address: 111.143.211.202 Name: rmxd.ipc.ap.mxmx.com Address: 144.111.99.9 from the abovefile i have to extract only string "rmxd.ipc.ap.mxmx.com" through awk command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to extract sub-string out of file names

I have these files in a directory. It may have more class than the sample below: DEPT_CHEM101LEC_D_20110301.DAT DEPT_CHEM101LAB_D_20110301.DAT DEPT_BIO105LEC_D_20110325.DAT DEPT_BIO105LAB_D_20110325.DAT DEPT_CSC308LEC_D_20110327.DAT DEPT_CSC308LAB_D_20110327.DAT Is there way to extract out... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use grep sed or awk to extract string from log file and put into CSV

I'd like to copy strings from a log file and put them into a CSV. The strings could be on different line numbers, depending on size of log. Example Log File: File = foo.bat Date = 11/11/11 User = Foo Bar Size = 1024 ... CSV should look like: "foo.bat","11/11/11","Foo Bar","1024" (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk - Summation in Proper decimal Format

Hi I am executing below command to do summation on 46th coloumn. cat File1| awk -F"|" '{p += $46} END { printf"Column Name | SUM | " p}' I am getting output as Column Name | SUM | 1.01139e+10 Here I want output in Proper decimal format. Can someone tell me what change is required for same? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanranad
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proper way to pipe into awk command

What is the proper way to run two commands together? For example, in the below I would like run a command in bold then pipe that output to awk to re-format it. Thank you :). bedtools nuc -fi /home/cmccabe/Desktop/bed/hg19.fa -bed /home/cmccabe/Desktop/bed/xgen_baits.bed >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/sed command to extract the string between 2 patterns but having some particular value

Hi - i have one file with content as below. ***** BEGIN 123 ***** BASH is awesome ***** END ***** ***** BEGIN 365 ***** KSH is awesome ***** END ***** ***** BEGIN 157 ***** KSH is awesome ***** END ***** ***** BEGIN 7123 ***** C is awesome ***** END ***** I am trying to find all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
4 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)