Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Sorting file content by file extensions Post 302639669 by otheus on Saturday 12th of May 2012 02:35:31 PM
Old 05-12-2012
Did the OP die of info overload ? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name extensions

Hello people, I was wondering if anyone could help me? I want to produce a shell script that changes the filename extension on all matching file. E.G. change all files called ‘something.rtf' to ‘something.doc' by giving the command: Changex rtf doc *where ‘Changex' is the name of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thurrock
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting file content on columns

guys i have a question: i'd like to sort files (as many I want) in columns so to visualize them one near the other...so let's say i have just 2 files: FILE1 John Mary Bridget FILE2 Anne Robert Mark i would like to obtain: John Anne Mary Robert Bridget ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshmallow
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files according to their Extensions...

I am trying to write a Korne Shell Script wherein we have to sort files according to their extensions(for eg. 1.sh, 5.sh, 9.sh together; 4.csh, 120.csh, 6.csh together and 7.ksh, 2.ksh, 59.ksh together) and move them to their respective directories viz. sh, csh and ksh... I think,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file extensions

I am trying to store file with certain file extensions to list but having some problems. Here is a part of the code set fryLst = "" set fxtLst = "" foreach f ($AfullNameLst) set fname = $f:r set fext = $f:e if ("$fext" == ".ry") set fryLst = "$fryLst $f" if ("$fext" == ".xt")... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting content of file

hi ladies and gents: can you give me a command to sort content of file and save it to the file itself: file1 roy@emerson.com joy@emerson.com irish@emerson.com output would be file1 on same directory: file1: irish@emerson.com joy@emerson.com roy@emerson.com (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments from file with specific file name extensions

Hello Unix board community, I have to program a shell script, but I am a complete noob so I hope I get some help here. The assignment is as follows: The program removes all comments regardless of formatting or language from files with specific file name extensions (php, css, js, ...).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheZeusMan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: replace content from file with the content from file

Hi, I am having trouble while using 'sed' with reading files. Please help. I have 3 files. File A, file B and file C. I want to find content of file B in file A and replace it by content in file C. Thanks a lot!! Here is a sample of my question. e.g. (file A: a.txt; file B: b.txt; file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to exclude certain file extensions while listing the file using ls

Hi friends, I need to check for the latest file say i have list of files like this test_files test_files.1 test_files.2 test_files.3.bin.Z I do it this way ls -lrt test_files*|tail -1 Now i need to exclude test_files.3.bin.Z even if it is the latest file,how do i do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove exisiting file content from a file and have to append new file content?

hi all, i had the below script x=`cat input.txt |wc -1` awk 'NR>1 && NR<'$x' ' input.txt > output.txt by using above script i am able to remove the head and tail part from the input file and able to append the output to the output.txt but if i run it for second time the output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the files after sorting based on file content

Hi, I have two pipe separated files as below: head -3 file1.txt "HD"|"Nov 11 2016 4:08AM"|"0000000018" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" head -3 file2.txt "HD"|"Nov 15 2016 2:18AM"|"0000000019" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" I want to list the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prasannag87
6 Replies
SLAPO-VALSORT(5)						File Formats Manual						  SLAPO-VALSORT(5)

NAME
slapo-valsort - Value Sorting overlay to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
The Value Sorting overlay can be used with a backend database to sort the values of specific multi-valued attributes within a subtree. The sorting occurs whenever the attributes are returned in a search response. Sorting can be specified in ascending or descending order, using either numeric or alphanumeric sort methods. Additionally, a "weighted" sort can be specified, which uses a numeric weight prepended to the attribute values. The weighted sort is always performed in ascending order, but may be combined with the other methods for values that all have equal weights. The weight is specified by prepending an integer weight {<weight>} in front of each value of the attribute for which weighted sorting is desired. This weighting factor is stripped off and never returned in search results. CONFIGURATION
These slapd.conf options apply to the Value Sorting overlay. They should appear after the overlay directive. valsort-attr <attribute> <baseDN> (<sort-method> | weighted [<sort-method>]) Configure a sorting method for the specified attribute in the subtree rooted at baseDN. The sort-method may be one of alpha-ascend, alpha-descend, numeric-ascend, or numeric-descend. If the special weighted method is specified, a secondary sort-method may also be specified. It is an error to specify an alphanumeric sort-method for an attribute with Integer or NumericString syntax, and it is an error to specify a numeric sort-method for an attribute with a syntax other than Integer or NumericString. EXAMPLES
database bdb suffix dc=example,dc=com ... overlay valsort valsort-attr member ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com alpha-ascend FILES
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd-config(5). ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
This module was written in 2005 by Howard Chu of Symas Corporation. The work was sponsored by Stanford University. OpenLDAP 2012/04/23 SLAPO-VALSORT(5)