Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vim Match problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Vim Match problem Post 302639641 by keltron on Saturday 12th of May 2012 11:29:39 AM
Old 05-12-2012
Wow, thank you so much!
Can you explain what "\@" means and do?? I would like to learn more about this powerfull trick! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Format Problem with vim

Hi, there. Everyone had a great Thanksgiving? I have a slice format problem when I am using vim to edit c++ source code. I don't know how to discribe the problem exactly. You see, usually when I use the command "vi hello.cpp" to write a code, it will have the format like this: #include... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim problem

Can someone explain me why sometimes the cursor can not be moved to needed position? for example: mysql -u root db -sBe "ALTER TABLE $i ENGINE=$ENGINE"; echo -e "${GG}OK${BB}"; In this line I can not go to position after $i, why? This is not first time I see such issue. "INSERT" pressed :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

encountering problem with vim

while entering into vim insert mode some garbage is getting printed in to the file could some one help to avoid this . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem to map VIM cursor moving in InsertMode

Hi all What I want? I want in Insert mode, press Alt-hjkl move cursor, and then back to insert mode. I know ctrl-o, hjkl can do the job. but everytime I want to move, i have to press ctrl-o, or I have to count how many hjkl I will do, do a C-O (n)hjkl. What I tried (example only with 'j')... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk1418
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern match problem

Hi all, hoping this is a simple one, tried looking but just can't see the solution As an example I've got a list of words that all start Ben..... Bendicks Benefiber Ben Benylin I need to only change the line Ben with Ben 10, ignoring the other lines. I tried the following ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using sed to match a string

Hi There! I'm stuck with a problem trying to output some sections of a rss feed to my conky program using curl and sed. The rss feed is for tide times and I wish to output the times but not the rest to the conky desktop. To do this I need to pull out the four instances of times that are in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: huffpuff
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem getting Nth match in sed

Hi all, I'm trying to create a sed command to get the Nth instance of an XML tag in a string, but thus far I can only ever seem to get the last one. Given an XML string: <Wrap><GrayLevel>a</GrayLevel><GrayLevel>b</GrayLevel></Wrap> I tried to do this on the command line to get each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim : Match all bracket { and fold them (zf%)

Hello ! I'm using a lot the command zf% with the cursor on the first bracket of a function for example, to fold it. Ex : I put my cursor on the first bracket myfunction(){ # body } I type zf% It become : +-- 9 lines : myfunction()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Purgator
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem to match a path in a file and put it into a variable

Hello,:p I made a script which do a backup on remote servers with a rsync command. I have a config.cfg with the IPs and the paths where it will copy the directory. The problem is that it doesn't match the paths, So, here my script and its output with the debug : #!/bin/bash # PATHS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
7 Replies
VIM(1)							      General Commands Manual							    VIM(1)

NAME
vim - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor SYNOPSIS
vim [options] [file ..] vim [options] -t tag vim [options] -e [errorfile] DESCRIPTION
Vim is a text editor that is upwards compatible to vi. It can be used to edit any ASCII text. It is especially useful for editing programs. There are a lot of enhancements above vi: multi level undo, multi windows and buffers, command line editing, filename completion, on-line help, visual selection, etc.. Read difference.doc for a summary of the differences between vi and Vim. Most often Vim is started to edit a single file with the command vim file More generally VIM is started with: vim [options] [filelist] If the filelist is missing, the editor will start with an empty buffer. Otherwise exactly one out of the following three may be used to choose one or more files to be edited. file .. A list of file names. The first one (alphabetically) will be the current file and read into the buffer. The cursor will be positioned on the first line of the buffer. You can get to the other files with the ":next" command. -t {tag} The file to edit and the initial cursor position depends on a "tag", a sort of goto label. {tag} is looked up in the tags file, the associated file becomes the current file and the associated command is executed. Mostly this is used for C programs. {tag} then should be a function name. The effect is that the file containing that function becomes the current file and the cursor is positioned on the start of the function (see reference.doc, section "tag searches"). -e [errorfile] Start in quickFix mode. The file [errorfile] is read and the first error is displayed. If [errorfile] is omitted the file name is obtained from the 'errorfile' option (defaults to "AztecC.Err" for the Amiga, "errors" on other systems). Further errors can be jumped to with the ":cn" command. See reference.doc section 5.5. OPTIONS
The options, if present, must precede the filelist. The options may be given in any order. -r Recovery mode. The swap file is used to recover a crashed editing session. The swap file is a file with the same file name as the text file with ".swp" appended. See reference.doc, chapter "Recovery after a crash". -v View mode. The 'readonly' option will be set. You can still edit the buffer, but will be prevented from accidently overwriting a file. If you do want to overwrite a file, add an exclamation mark to the Ex command, as in ":w!". The -v option also implies the -n option (see below). The 'readonly' option can be reset with ":set noro" (see reference.doc, options chapter). -b Binary. A few options will be set that makes it possible to edit a binary or executable file. +[num] For the first file the cursor will be positioned on line "num". If "num" is missing, the cursor will be positioned on the last line. +/pat For the first file the cursor will be positioned on the first occurrence of "pat" (see reference.doc, section "pattern searches" for the available search patterns). +{command} -c {command} {command} will be executed after the first file has been read. {command} is interpreted as an Ex command. If the {command} con- tains spaces it must be enclosed in double quotes (this depends on the shell that is used). Example: Vim "+set si" main.c -x (Amiga only) Vim is not restarted to open a new window. This option should be used when Vim is executed by a program that will wait for the edit session to finish (e.g. mail). The ":sh" and ":!" commands will not work. -o[N] Open N windows. When N is omitted, open one window for each file. -n No swap file will be used. Recovery after a crash will be impossible. Handy if you want to edit a file on a very slow medium (e.g. floppy). Can also be done with ":set uc=0". Can be undone with ":set uc=200". -s {scriptin} The script file {scriptin} is read. The characters in the file are interpreted as if you had typed them. The same can be done with the command ":source! {scriptin}". If the end of the file is reached before the editor exits, further characters are read from the keyboard. -w {scriptout} All the characters that you type are recorded in the file {scriptout}, until you exit VIM. This is useful if you want to create a script file to be used with "vim -s" or ":source!". -T terminal Tells Vim the name of the terminal you are using. Should be a terminal known to Vim (builtin) or defined in the termcap file. -d device Open "device" for use as a terminal. Only on the Amiga. Example: "-d con:20/30/600/150". SEE ALSO
Vim documentation: reference.doc: A complete reference of Vim (long) windows.doc: Explanation of the multi windows and buffers commands and options index: Overview of all command characters (useful when adding new mappings) difference.doc: Overview of the differences between vi and Vim unix.doc: Unix-specific comments vim.hlp: File used by the on-line help (short) AUTHOR
Most of VIM was made by Bram Moolenaar. VIM is based on Stevie, worked on by: Tim Thompson, Tony Andrews and G.R. (Fred) Walter BUGS
Probably. 1994 August 12 VIM(1)