Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Sorting file content by file extensions Post 302639593 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 12th of May 2012 07:09:43 AM
Old 05-12-2012
Further to this any sort must have the suffix as the primary sort key and - like drl suggests - have provisions for files without extensions or these will be all over the place. Something like this, perhaps:

Code:
ls | awk -F. 'NF==1{NF++}{print $NF,$0}' OFS=. | sort -t. -k1,1 | cut -d. -f2-

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-12-2012 at 08:15 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name extensions

Hello people, I was wondering if anyone could help me? I want to produce a shell script that changes the filename extension on all matching file. E.G. change all files called ‘something.rtf' to ‘something.doc' by giving the command: Changex rtf doc *where ‘Changex' is the name of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thurrock
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting file content on columns

guys i have a question: i'd like to sort files (as many I want) in columns so to visualize them one near the other...so let's say i have just 2 files: FILE1 John Mary Bridget FILE2 Anne Robert Mark i would like to obtain: John Anne Mary Robert Bridget ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshmallow
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files according to their Extensions...

I am trying to write a Korne Shell Script wherein we have to sort files according to their extensions(for eg. 1.sh, 5.sh, 9.sh together; 4.csh, 120.csh, 6.csh together and 7.ksh, 2.ksh, 59.ksh together) and move them to their respective directories viz. sh, csh and ksh... I think,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file extensions

I am trying to store file with certain file extensions to list but having some problems. Here is a part of the code set fryLst = "" set fxtLst = "" foreach f ($AfullNameLst) set fname = $f:r set fext = $f:e if ("$fext" == ".ry") set fryLst = "$fryLst $f" if ("$fext" == ".xt")... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting content of file

hi ladies and gents: can you give me a command to sort content of file and save it to the file itself: file1 roy@emerson.com joy@emerson.com irish@emerson.com output would be file1 on same directory: file1: irish@emerson.com joy@emerson.com roy@emerson.com (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments from file with specific file name extensions

Hello Unix board community, I have to program a shell script, but I am a complete noob so I hope I get some help here. The assignment is as follows: The program removes all comments regardless of formatting or language from files with specific file name extensions (php, css, js, ...).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheZeusMan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: replace content from file with the content from file

Hi, I am having trouble while using 'sed' with reading files. Please help. I have 3 files. File A, file B and file C. I want to find content of file B in file A and replace it by content in file C. Thanks a lot!! Here is a sample of my question. e.g. (file A: a.txt; file B: b.txt; file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to exclude certain file extensions while listing the file using ls

Hi friends, I need to check for the latest file say i have list of files like this test_files test_files.1 test_files.2 test_files.3.bin.Z I do it this way ls -lrt test_files*|tail -1 Now i need to exclude test_files.3.bin.Z even if it is the latest file,how do i do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove exisiting file content from a file and have to append new file content?

hi all, i had the below script x=`cat input.txt |wc -1` awk 'NR>1 && NR<'$x' ' input.txt > output.txt by using above script i am able to remove the head and tail part from the input file and able to append the output to the output.txt but if i run it for second time the output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the files after sorting based on file content

Hi, I have two pipe separated files as below: head -3 file1.txt "HD"|"Nov 11 2016 4:08AM"|"0000000018" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" head -3 file2.txt "HD"|"Nov 15 2016 2:18AM"|"0000000019" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" I want to list the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prasannag87
6 Replies
sort(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 sort(3pm)

NAME
sort - perl pragma to control sort() behaviour SYNOPSIS
use sort 'stable'; # guarantee stability use sort '_quicksort'; # use a quicksort algorithm use sort '_mergesort'; # use a mergesort algorithm use sort 'defaults'; # revert to default behavior no sort 'stable'; # stability not important use sort '_qsort'; # alias for quicksort my $current = sort::current(); # identify prevailing algorithm DESCRIPTION
With the "sort" pragma you can control the behaviour of the builtin "sort()" function. In Perl versions 5.6 and earlier the quicksort algorithm was used to implement "sort()", but in Perl 5.8 a mergesort algorithm was also made available, mainly to guarantee worst case O(N log N) behaviour: the worst case of quicksort is O(N**2). In Perl 5.8 and later, quick- sort defends against quadratic behaviour by shuffling large arrays before sorting. A stable sort means that for records that compare equal, the original input ordering is preserved. Mergesort is stable, quicksort is not. Stability will matter only if elements that compare equal can be distinguished in some other way. That means that simple numerical and lexical sorts do not profit from stability, since equal elements are indistinguishable. However, with a comparison such as { substr($a, 0, 3) cmp substr($b, 0, 3) } stability might matter because elements that compare equal on the first 3 characters may be distinguished based on subsequent characters. In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort can be stabilized, but doing so will add overhead, so it should only be done if it matters. The best algorithm depends on many things. On average, mergesort does fewer comparisons than quicksort, so it may be better when compli- cated comparison routines are used. Mergesort also takes advantage of pre-existing order, so it would be favored for using "sort()" to merge several sorted arrays. On the other hand, quicksort is often faster for small arrays, and on arrays of a few distinct values, repeated many times. You can force the choice of algorithm with this pragma, but this feels heavy-handed, so the subpragmas beginning with a "_" may not persist beyond Perl 5.8. The default algorithm is mergesort, which will be stable even if you do not explicitly demand it. But the stability of the default sort is a side-effect that could change in later versions. If stability is important, be sure to say so with a use sort 'stable'; The "no sort" pragma doesn't forbid what follows, it just leaves the choice open. Thus, after no sort qw(_mergesort stable); a mergesort, which happens to be stable, will be employed anyway. Note that no sort "_quicksort"; no sort "_mergesort"; have exactly the same effect, leaving the choice of sort algorithm open. CAVEATS
This pragma is not lexically scoped: its effect is global to the program it appears in. That means the following will probably not do what you expect, because both pragmas take effect at compile time, before either "sort()" happens. { use sort "_quicksort"; print sort::current . " "; @a = sort @b; } { use sort "stable"; print sort::current . " "; @c = sort @d; } # prints: # quicksort stable # quicksort stable You can achieve the effect you probably wanted by using "eval()" to defer the pragmas until run time. Use the quoted argument form of "eval()", not the BLOCK form, as in eval { use sort "_quicksort" }; # WRONG or the effect will still be at compile time. Reset to default options before selecting other subpragmas (in case somebody carelessly left them on) and after sorting, as a courtesy to others. { eval 'use sort qw(defaults _quicksort)'; # force quicksort eval 'no sort "stable"'; # stability not wanted print sort::current . " "; @a = sort @b; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } { eval 'use sort qw(defaults stable)'; # force stability print sort::current . " "; @c = sort @d; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } # prints: # quicksort # stable Scoping for this pragma may change in future versions. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 sort(3pm)