Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Sorting file content by file extensions Post 302639359 by drl on Friday 11th of May 2012 02:38:30 PM
Old 05-11-2012
Hi.

Here are two other methods. The first uses msort, which allows fields to be specified from the right-hand side. The other uses a quickly written perl code, which reverses the characters on each line:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1	Demonstrate collect by extension, msort, perl, sort
# msort home: http://freshmeat.net/projects/msort

pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
re() { perl -wn -e 'print scalar reverse;' $1; pe ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C msort perl sort

FILE=${1-data1}
pl " Input file $FILE:"
head $FILE

pl " Results with msort:"
msort -q --line -d"." --position=-1,-1 --position=1,1 $FILE

pl " Results with (perl) reverse, sort, reverse:"
re $FILE |
sort -t"." |
re |
tee f1

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.26-2-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.8 (lenny) 
bash GNU bash 3.2.39
msort 8.44
perl 5.10.0
sort (GNU coreutils) 6.10

-----
 Input file data1:
a.xml
a.doc
a.txt
a.jpg
b.xml
b.doc
b.txt
b.jpg
c.xml
c.doc

-----
 Results with msort:
a.doc
b.doc
c.doc
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
a.txt
b.txt
c.txt
a.xml
b.xml
c.xml

-----
 Results with (perl) reverse, sort, reverse:

a.doc
b.doc
c.doc
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
a.xml
b.xml
c.xml
a.txt
b.txt
c.txt

The perl function is not completely satisfactory, but perhaps someone will stop by with a suggestion to omit the extra newlines.

I haven't tried to install msort on Solaris, but there is a link on MSORT for it.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

Last edited by drl; 05-11-2012 at 03:44 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name extensions

Hello people, I was wondering if anyone could help me? I want to produce a shell script that changes the filename extension on all matching file. E.G. change all files called ‘something.rtf' to ‘something.doc' by giving the command: Changex rtf doc *where ‘Changex' is the name of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thurrock
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting file content on columns

guys i have a question: i'd like to sort files (as many I want) in columns so to visualize them one near the other...so let's say i have just 2 files: FILE1 John Mary Bridget FILE2 Anne Robert Mark i would like to obtain: John Anne Mary Robert Bridget ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshmallow
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files according to their Extensions...

I am trying to write a Korne Shell Script wherein we have to sort files according to their extensions(for eg. 1.sh, 5.sh, 9.sh together; 4.csh, 120.csh, 6.csh together and 7.ksh, 2.ksh, 59.ksh together) and move them to their respective directories viz. sh, csh and ksh... I think,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file extensions

I am trying to store file with certain file extensions to list but having some problems. Here is a part of the code set fryLst = "" set fxtLst = "" foreach f ($AfullNameLst) set fname = $f:r set fext = $f:e if ("$fext" == ".ry") set fryLst = "$fryLst $f" if ("$fext" == ".xt")... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting content of file

hi ladies and gents: can you give me a command to sort content of file and save it to the file itself: file1 roy@emerson.com joy@emerson.com irish@emerson.com output would be file1 on same directory: file1: irish@emerson.com joy@emerson.com roy@emerson.com (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments from file with specific file name extensions

Hello Unix board community, I have to program a shell script, but I am a complete noob so I hope I get some help here. The assignment is as follows: The program removes all comments regardless of formatting or language from files with specific file name extensions (php, css, js, ...).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheZeusMan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: replace content from file with the content from file

Hi, I am having trouble while using 'sed' with reading files. Please help. I have 3 files. File A, file B and file C. I want to find content of file B in file A and replace it by content in file C. Thanks a lot!! Here is a sample of my question. e.g. (file A: a.txt; file B: b.txt; file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to exclude certain file extensions while listing the file using ls

Hi friends, I need to check for the latest file say i have list of files like this test_files test_files.1 test_files.2 test_files.3.bin.Z I do it this way ls -lrt test_files*|tail -1 Now i need to exclude test_files.3.bin.Z even if it is the latest file,how do i do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove exisiting file content from a file and have to append new file content?

hi all, i had the below script x=`cat input.txt |wc -1` awk 'NR>1 && NR<'$x' ' input.txt > output.txt by using above script i am able to remove the head and tail part from the input file and able to append the output to the output.txt but if i run it for second time the output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the files after sorting based on file content

Hi, I have two pipe separated files as below: head -3 file1.txt "HD"|"Nov 11 2016 4:08AM"|"0000000018" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" head -3 file2.txt "HD"|"Nov 15 2016 2:18AM"|"0000000019" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" I want to list the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prasannag87
6 Replies
MRENAME(1)						      General Commands Manual							MRENAME(1)

NAME
mrename - program to rename files SYNOPSIS
mrename 'pattern' prefix [option] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the mrename command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. mrename is a tool for easy and automatic renaming of many files. The 'pattern' is the pattern to search files to rename (quoted to avoid that bash resolve it), and prefix is the prefix that will be added to the name of each file. The two alternative options for copying or moving files in the new name are explained below. All parameters are needed, and you have to stay and launch the script in the same direc- tory of the files to be renamed. The program should be able to write in this directory. OPTIONS
There are only the following three options. -c The option -c will copy each file with the new filename. -m The option -m will move each file in the new filename. -h Display help. EXAMPLE
If you have a directory with two jpeg images prof.jpg and forp.jpg and you want to add them a prefix like item0, item1 etc.. (that is item0prof.jpg, item1forp.jpg etc..) do this: cd /path/to/the/images mrename '*.jpg' item -c to copy each matching file into another with the new name mrename '*.jpg' item -m to rename each file without keeping a copy with the previous name Word-Wide-Web: http://alfalinux.sourceforge.net/mrename.php3 AUTHOR
: Giancarlo -rofus- Erra e-mail: rofus@mindless.com This manual page was written by Dr. Guenter Bechly <gbechly@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). It is distributed under the GPL just like mrename itself. October 22, 2000 MRENAME(1)