Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove empty records
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove empty records Post 302639111 by clx on Friday 11th of May 2012 08:26:11 AM
Old 05-11-2012
So whats the rule? How do you know that from
Code:
>other header name
>some thing maybe long but single line for sure

only
Code:
>some thing maybe long but single line for sure

is needed. Is that mean the last entry in the same pattern?
Or may be couldn't figure out it by me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Remove non empty dirctory

Hi, Any command or means to delete a director which is not empty rmdir or similar iam using Sun Solaries 2.6 :confused: I have many full directories with subdirectories and I can not go on emptying them all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adol3
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove empty directory

Hi, I need to delete an empty directory in a temp directory except "dir5" (keep everything that is not empty). Plese advise. Here is an example of my directory. /dir/temp/ dir1 - delete if this is empty dir2 - delete if this is empty dir3 - delete if this is empty dir4 - delete if this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove only Empty Directories

I know this one was answered before in forum below - https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/58210-removing-empty-folders-using-find-command.html But that one is closed & I have a question so here it goes. I want to delete all 2006 files. Now if along with the files, if the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using vi -c to remove empty lines

Hello: I searched here for "vi -c" but found no hits. How can I use vi -c to remove ALL empty lines, regardless of how many? I tried <code> vi -c ":g/^$/d | wq" filename </code> but I have to run it several times. This is NOT homework. :) Thanks for your time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove empty line and the next one

Hi all, I'm trying to remove when this condition is met: an empty and the next one I'm using this command: sed '/^$/N; s/&//' file Which searches for an empty line, N attaches it to the next line, and substituing the combination with nothing.... but it is not working. What I'm missing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meuser
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove empty field

Hi all ! I'm sure it is a basic question but I didn't find any threads that fit my need. How to remove empty fields with awk? Or in other words, how to shift all the fields after an empty field on the left? input: 1|2||3|4|5||6 wanted: 1|2|3|4|5|6 I tried: awk '{for(i=1; i<=NF;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove CR only on empty lines

Dear community, I have two output files that contains some CR # cat first.out 1234567890 598679857648566 9 1234567234 365837465873465 4 2342343243 289374982374894 4 # cat second.out 2342342342 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove empty line.?

Hi gurus, I have a script which works fine. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/239347-how-pass-string-into-sql-query.html while read p do && para="'${p}'" || para="${para},'${p}'" done < filePlease use code tags as required by forum rules! a few days... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove empty files in home directory

how to remove empty files tried below command its remove only zero bytes not empty file which is greater then zero byte. for x in * do if then rm $x fi done (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalia
8 Replies
AMANDA-ARCHIVE-FOR(5)					   File formats and conventions 				     AMANDA-ARCHIVE-FOR(5)

NAME
amanda-archive-format - Format of amanda archive streams DESCRIPTION
The Amanda archive format is designed to be a simple, efficient means of interleaving multiple simultaneous files, allowing an arbitrary number of data streams for a file. It is a streaming format in the sense that the writer need not know the size of files until they are completely written to the archive, and the reader can process the archive in constant space. DATA MODEL
The data stored in an archive consists of an unlimited number of files. Each file consists of a number of "attributes", each identified by a 16-bit ID. Each attribute can contain an unlimited amount of data. Attribute IDs less than 16 (AMAR_ATTR_APP_START) are reserved for special purposes, but the remaining IDs are available for application-specific uses. STRUCTURE
RECORDS A record can be either a header record or a data record. A header record serves as a "checkpoint" in the file, with a magic value that can be used to recognize archive files. A header record has a fixed size of 28 bytes, as follows: 28 bytes: magic string The magic string is the ASCII text "AMANDA ARCHIVE FORMAT " followed by a decimal representation of the format version number (currently '1'), padded to 28 bytes with NUL bytes. A data record has a variable size, as follows: 2 bytes: file number 2 bytes: attribute ID 4 bytes: data size (N) N bytes: data The file number and attribute ID serve to identify the data stream to which this data belongs. The low 31 bits of the data size give the number of data bytes following, while the high bit (the EOA bit) indicates the end of the attribute, as described below. Because records are generally read into memory in their entirety, the data size must not exceed 4MB (4194304 bytes). All integers are in network byte order. A header record is distinguished from a data record by the magic string. The file number 0x414d, corresponding to the characters "AM", is forbidden and must be skipped on writing. Attribute ID 0 (AMAR_ATTR_FILENAME) gives the filename of a file. This attribute is mandatory for each file, must be nonempty, must fit in a single record, and must precede any other attributes for the same file in the archive. The filename should be a printable string (ASCII or UTF-8), to facilitate use of generic archive-display utilities, but the format permits any nonempty bytestring. The filename cannot span multiple records. Attribute ID 1 (AMAR_ATTR_EOF) signals the end of a file. This attribute must contain no data, but should have the EOA bit set. CONNECTION TO DATA MODEL Each file in an archive is assigned a file number distinct from any other active file in the archive. The first record for a file must have attribute ID 0 (AMAR_ATTR_FILENAME), indicating a filename. A file ends with an empty record with ID 1 (AMAR_ATTR_EOF). For every file at which a reader might want to begin reading, the filename record should be preceded by a header record. How often to write header records is left to the discretion of the application. All data records with the same file number and attribute ID are considered a part of the same attribute. The boundaries between such records are not significant to the contents of the attribute, and both readers and writers are free to alter such boundaries as necessary. The final data record for each attribute has the high bit (the EOA bit) of its data size field set. A writer must not reuse an attribute ID within a file. An attribute may be terminated by a record containing both data and an EOA bit, or by a zero-length record with its EOA bit set. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda(8) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHOR
Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 AMANDA-ARCHIVE-FOR(5)