Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix perl scripting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix perl scripting Post 302638313 by preetpalkapoor on Thursday 10th of May 2012 06:12:51 AM
Old 05-10-2012
Thanks a lot balajesuri

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in perl scripting.

Hi, To run a perl script i am giving command like this in DOS prompt d:> perl D:\<dir_name>\<dir_name>\sample.pl Its throwing the following error while running the above syntax error at <eval 4> line 1, near "use D:" Can anyone help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with perl scripting

Hi All, I need to run smartctl using nagios account but I'm not familiar with perl scripting. The existing script runs smartctl using root account. I need it to run using nagios to eliminate security risks. #!/usr/bin/perl -w # checks for possible disk errors use strict; my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help configuring Active Perl on Windows Vista.: Perl Scripting on Windows

Hi All, Need help configuring Active Perl on Windows Vista. I am trying to install Active Perl on Windows Vista. The version of Active Perl i am trying to install is : ActivePerl 5.10.1 Build 1006 After installing it through cmd, When i try to run perl -v to check the version, i get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vabiosis
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux/Unix shell scripting vs Perl

Hi, I have general question: i have good working Perl script with .pl extension, and now I have to migrate all to another Linux box, and I was told that I can use only shell scripting, so I'm not sure how different those two things are, will it work without any changes . Is there anything smart I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trento17
6 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Know unix scripting somewhat ,now how to add perl to my skillset.

Hi All, I have learned a bit of unix scripting since i have been working on it for the past 2 months. I would like to add perl to my skills. I have read the O'reillys Learning perl book. Can someone suggest how to use this forum for facing newer challenges on a daily basis starting with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunwar
1 Replies

9. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on PERL scripting

Hi Guys; Im pretty new here in the forum and I need help on how to write a PERL script. Basically I have a file with content like these AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahock
5 Replies
pbmreduce(1)						      General Commands Manual						      pbmreduce(1)

NAME
pbmreduce - read a portable bitmap and reduce it N times SYNOPSIS
pbmreduce [-floyd|-fs|-threshold ] [-value val] N [pbmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable bitmap as input. Reduces it by a factor of N, and produces a portable bitmap as output. pbmreduce duplicates a lot of the functionality of pgmtopbm; you could do something like pnmscale | pgmtopbm, but pbmreduce is a lot faster. pbmreduce can be used to "re-halftone" an image. Let's say you have a scanner that only produces black&white, not grayscale, and it does a terrible job of halftoning (most b&w scanners fit this description). One way to fix the halftoning is to scan at the highest possible res- olution, say 300 dpi, and then reduce by a factor of three or so using pbmreduce. You can even correct the brightness of an image, by using the -value flag. OPTIONS
By default, the halftoning after the reduction is done via boustrophedonic Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion; however, the -threshold flag can be used to specify simple thresholding. This gives better results when reducing line drawings. The -value flag alters the thresholding value for all quantizations. It should be a real number between 0 and 1. Above 0.5 means darker images; below 0.5 means lighter. All flags can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. SEE ALSO
pnmenlarge(1), pnmscale(1), pgmtopbm(1), pbm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1988 by Jef Poskanzer. 02 August 1989 pbmreduce(1)