Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Statement to find if an entry exists in a file Post 302638021 by itech4814 on Wednesday 9th of May 2012 07:41:31 PM
Old 05-09-2012
Statement to find if an entry exists in a file

I need to check if an entry input by the user is in a file. If so, I need to run a command, and if it does not exist then it should output entry does not exist.

So I have so far...

echo "Enter record:"
read record
//command || //command

Can I use an if statement to do this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to check whether particular file exists and to find its size

I want to find the size of particular file exists in a particular directory and i wnt to zip it. In the below mentioned code it should check the MQ.log in the particular directory.Please correct my code so that it will check for particular MQ.log but i could not able to check whether the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balachandar
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a script in UNIX to find a file if another file exists

So I have a lot of Java applications on my servers all having their own folder from the applications subdirectory. Now, I need to do the following. Search all the applications subdirectories for message.jar. If the message.jar file exists, I need to search the application directory for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmdawg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a file exists using the if statement

Hi, I'm trying to write a bit of code that will check if a file exists and then archives the file Im trying to use the following if statement without success.. if then mv filename archive/filename else echo "no filename exists" fi Should the file name be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find, if exists then append for file with same name

I will have to process multiple files with same name everyday. My requirement is: If on a certain day I see that filename.txt exists then the contents of the filename.txt would be added/append to the former file contents.Each time it sees the file the content would be added.But the header ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF statement to check file exists

Hi All, If i run below copy command, it works absolutely fine, /opt/csw/bin/scp axetlxyz01:/opt/data/test/QURIES* ./input I want to make the above line better, by adding an IF statement, want to check if there is any file exists with name QURIES*.* then i need to copy that. if ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie.. Find if a file exists and open, if not create the desired file..

Hey all, I'm brand new to script writing, I'm wanting to make a script that will ask for a file and then retrieve that file if it exists, and if it doesn't exist, create the file with the desired name, and I'm completely stuck.. so far.. #! bin/bash echo "Enter desired file" read "$file" if ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl program for find one entry and put in different file

Hi I have a file name1 xxxxx name1 xxxxx name1 yyyyy name 1 zzzzz name1 Uniprot Id 1234 name2 sssss name2 eeeee name2 bengamine name2 Uniprot Id 3456 ......................and so on I have to capture Uniprot IDs only in a separate file so that output contain only ... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find out whether a file exists with the help of regular expression?

Hi all I have a list of file names in array. But this file names are not exact. so i want to search whether a file exists or not using regular expression. code snippet: if ; then echo "File exists" else echo "File does not exits" fi over here "*EQST*" should be treated as a regular... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed if statement to see if file exists

Is there an easy way of checking for the existence of a file that ends with the extension .order and if it exists do something? if not do nothing (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file and if exists , execute a different file

Good Morning All, I'm a novice and please excuse me if i did miss some of the forum rules. What my intention is, i have a file (services) residing @ /u01/Oracle/services. I know i can use the find command to find the "service" file. I get this file from a windows box and there is no certain... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinkingeye
8 Replies
APC_EXISTS(3)								 1							     APC_EXISTS(3)

apc_exists - Checks if APC key exists

SYNOPSIS
mixed apc_exists (mixed $keys) DESCRIPTION
Checks if one or more APC keys exist. PARAMETERS
o $keys - A string, or an array of strings, that contain keys. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if the key exists, otherwise FALSE Or if an array was passed to $keys, then an array is returned that contains all existing keys, or an empty array if none exist. EXAMPLES
Example #1 apc_exists(3) example <?php $fruit = 'apple'; $veggie = 'carrot'; apc_store('foo', $fruit); apc_store('bar', $veggie); if (apc_exists('foo')) { echo "Foo exists: "; echo apc_fetch('foo'); } else { echo "Foo does not exist"; } echo PHP_EOL; if (apc_exists('baz')) { echo "Baz exists."; } else { echo "Baz does not exist"; } echo PHP_EOL; $ret = apc_exists(array('foo', 'donotexist', 'bar')); var_dump($ret); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Foo exists: apple Baz does not exist array(2) { ["foo"]=> bool(true) ["bar"]=> bool(true) } SEE ALSO
apc_cache_info(3), apc_fetch(3). PHP Documentation Group APC_EXISTS(3)