Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script errors when executing Post 302637387 by chihung on Tuesday 8th of May 2012 08:09:40 PM
Old 05-08-2012
It will be hard for anyone to help you with this long script. What I can propose to you is to run it with "bash -x yourscript" to get the shell to print out the commands while it is executing.

You may try to set the PS4 variable to something that is easy for you to debug your script.

Here is a little example. Hope it helps:
Code:
$ export PS4="
--->DEBUG: "

$ cat a.sh
#! /bin/bash

echo Hello World
date
cal

$ bash -x a.sh

--->DEBUG: echo Hello World
Hello World

--->DEBUG: date
Wed May  9 08:08:22 SGT 2012

--->DEBUG: cal
      May 2012
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
       1  2  3  4  5
 6  7  8  9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

This User Gave Thanks to chihung For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Errors while executing a.out

Hi, I tried a simple hello.cc program in Unix. - Compiled with no errors - Created a.out successfully - While executing a.out, following error message appeared " ld.so.1:a.out fatal: libstdc++.so.2.10.0: Open failed: No such file or directory Killed" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nirthana
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

avoid displaying errors while executing a script

Hi all, I am running a script on bash shell, although it gives me the desired output, it displays some errors at the prompt like this directory doesnt exists unary operator etc etc Is there someway to avoid these errors ?? Its very annoying to have these errors while the script is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!!

Hi all, dummy here.... I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: [: =: unary... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Executing script that is held in a variable

Hi, I'm building an installation system that uses separate data files that contain the individual characteristics of each package. Within the data file, I would like to incorporate a section that contains a bash script that is loaded into an array which is then redirected to bash to be... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to send an email executing with errors

Hello , i am using RHEL5 , i have got a perl script that executes and sends an email correctly if i run it with ./sendemail.sh command. This is the script below #! /usr/bin/perl use Net::SMTP; print "starting email send ."; $smtp = Net::SMTP->new("192.168.0.1");... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kabazzi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell_script showing errors in the below mentioned script while executing in linux

code: IMAGE=$imgvalue; if then echo DO=ABC; elif then echo DO=ETC; elif then echo DO=XYZ; else echo "$imgvalue is unsupported"; exit 1; fi in above script IMAGE=1 , IMAGE=2, IMAGE=3 whatever may be the value i have assigned it's showing only DO=ABC other conditions... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting from Linux bash (GNU) to Solaris script syntax errors

Original script written on CentOS 6.3 with GNU bash 4.1.2 Destination system is Solaris 9 with GNU bash 2.05 (not changeable by me) I have a script written on the linux side but now we need to provide a version to another site that "doesn't like linux". I've been going through changing the ] or... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write pid and command name to a txt file while executing a bash script

Hi All, Just have a requirement, I am executing a bash shell script, my requirement is to catch the pid and job name to a txt file in the same directory, is there anyway to do it? please help me out. Regards Rahul ---------- Post updated at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous update was at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulkalra9
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script if condition not executing

issue is with .txt files (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil529
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing sed command inside a bash script

I want to run commands inside a bash script. An example is I want to pass the command in a string as regexp as an argument to the script, then run sed on the bash variable sed.sh regexp sed.sh "-i \"s/<p>//g\"" then call sed "$regexp" $fl (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kangol
3 Replies
SYSTEMD-DEBUG-GENERATOR(8)				      systemd-debug-generator					SYSTEMD-DEBUG-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-debug-generator - Generator for enabling a runtime debug shell and masking specific units at boot SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-debug-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-debug-generator is a generator that reads the kernel command line and understands three options: If the systemd.mask= option is specified and followed by a unit name, this unit is masked for the runtime, similar to the effect of systemctl(1)'s mask command. This is useful to boot with certain units removed from the initial boot transaction for debugging system startup. May be specified more than once. If the systemd.wants= option is specified and followed by a unit name, a start job for this unit is added to the initial transaction. This is useful to start one or more additional units at boot. May be specified more than once. If the systemd.debug_shell option is specified, the debug shell service "debug-shell.service" is pulled into the boot transaction. It will spawn a debug shell on tty9 during early system startup. Note that the shell may also be turned on persistently by enabling it with systemctl(1)'s enable command. systemd-debug-generator implements systemd.generator(7). SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), kernel-command-line(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-DEBUG-GENERATOR(8)