Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Should I focus efforts on learning Perl or develop skills in awk, sed, etc Post 302637257 by shamrock on Tuesday 8th of May 2012 03:01:37 PM
Old 05-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb
Is there any book that you can recommend on fine tuning sed and awk skills? Is there a particular book? I saw one on amazon.com by O'Reilly. Or should I continue to just read these forums to see how different people solve different problems or issues?
This is the only book on awk I would get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb
Thanks Corona. I definitely see the power of awk. I need to learn that more.
Thogh Perl is the new kid on the block I would recommend getting proficient in awk as it comes with every linux/unix flavor while perl is still an add on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing GTK to develop Perl GUI's

Hi! What do I need to do to install GTK so I can use Perl GUI's in UNIX? I want to install it in my account. I am not a sys admin or anything. Thanks in advance, P. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmcg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning CGI using Perl

hi everyone, i am learning CGI using Perl, but i am having problem to compile and run the scripts. the thing is that, when i want to compile my scripts i have to get connected to the internet and have to upload the scripts to a server and then only i can compile and run my scripts. so, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning Sed and Awk

Hello, Im new to Sed and Awk, and would like to read through a nice tutorial. Could you please suggest me one. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning Perl

Folks! Anyone please explain the behavior of this program step by step. Thanks. #! /usr/bin/perl $testfile = "./testfile2"; for ( $i = 1, $i <= 5, $i++) { open ($FILE, ">", $testfile); print ($FILE "Output 1 \n"); close ($FILE); } print "The value of (4 * 2) / 2 is "; print (4 * 2)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huko99
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

it's ok to learn awk and not learning sed?

please reflect... since I am beginner and dont know what to do ---------- Post updated at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:19 AM ---------- I am aware that awk is programming language and sed is just a tool (however people created some games with it). thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_lady
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I would like to have some exercises to develop my skills

Hi , I would like to do some exercises/scripts in order to develop my skills in shell scripts, can someone pass me some links/suggestions where i can find this? Thanks a lot :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Learning System Administration: What to focus on?

In the fall I am taking courses in System Admin and Networking Admin, along with Cisco classes. Sometime next year I hope to get Red Hat and CCNA certifications, then try to get some experience and a job. I am wondering what I can focus on in the meantime (and in my spare time) that will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PERL-CGI learning

Hello All, I am actually learning PERL and more interested to learn CGI script too. Can any suggest a forum or weblink which is more helpful for a dummy CGI developer. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: posix
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am learning regular expression in sed,Please help me understand the use curly bracket in sed,

I am learning SED and just following the shell scripting book, i have trouble understanding the grep and sed statement, Question : 1 __________ /opt/oracle/work/antony>cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX for learning sed/awk/grep..etc..

Greetings all, I am looking for a version of Linux that I can practice my scripting skills on. Currently, I support a massive system running on AIX. I want to do more with awk, sed, grep, and even perl. I am looking for something I can throw on a VM on my personal laptop and mess around with.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies