Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print specific entries in a file Post 302637183 by new_item on Tuesday 8th of May 2012 01:02:53 PM
Old 05-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junes
How can i ensure i get 50%/50% ratio
Code:
[root@x60 test]# a=$[`wc -l text | cut -f1 -d' '`] ; b=$[$a/2] ; echo "Lines: $a ; 1/2: $b" ; echo -n "first part: " ; head -$b text | wc -l ; echo -n "second part: " ; tail -$[$a-$b] text | wc -l
Lines: 33783 ; 1/2: 16891
first part: 16891
second part: 16892

?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compare specific columns from 2 files, print new file

Hello. I have two files. FILE1 was extracted from FILE2 and modified thanks to help from this post. Now I need to replace the extracted, modified lines into the original file (FILE2) to produce the FILE3. FILE1 1466 55.27433 14.72050 -2.52E+03 3.00E-01 1.05E+04 2.57E+04 1467 55.27433... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jm4smtddd
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to print the file content from the specific line

Hi All, I would like to print the content from the specific line of a file . For example... i have file abc.txt which has 100 lines of code ,from this file i would like to print the content from 20,19,18th line......like that Regards Srikanth (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthg
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print the specific word in a file.

Hi , My input file is below like that :- $cat abc.txt Service name: test_taf Service is enabled Server pool: test_tac Cardinality: 2 Disconnect: false Service role: PRIMARY Management policy: AUTOMATIC DTP transaction: false AQ HA notifications: true Failover type: SESSION... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp001
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent request to consider:Search specific name in a file and fetch specific entries

Hi all, I have 2 files, One file contain data like this FHIT CS CHRM1 PDE3A PDE3B HSP90AA1 PTK2 HTR1A ESR1 PARP1 PLA2G1B These names are mentioned in the second file(Please see attached second file) as # Drug_Target_X_Gene_Name:(Where X can be any number (1-1000) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search specific name in a file and fetch specific entries

Hi all, I have 2 files, One file contain data like this FHIT CS CHRM1 PDE3A PDE3B HSP90AA1 PTK2 HTR1A ESR1 PARP1 PLA2G1B These names are mentioned in the second file(Please see attached second file) as (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to just print out specific line from an input file

Hi, I have a file which contains 2,500,500,432 lines. Can I know what command I should type in order just print out particular line from the input file? eg. I just wanna to see what is the contents at line 522,484,612. Thanks for advice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to print specific text from a file?

Hi All, I have the below text file from which I have to cut particular section starting from PTR_Security_Rpeorting.cpf to PTR_Security_Reporting_Env93_export. Report Model............: "D:\Cognos_Publishing\tmp.a2R94KLQec"\PTR_Security_Reporting.cpf Report Output Script....:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikram_Tanwar12
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the specific part of the file name with file creation date?

Hello Folks, I have an requirement, where i need to get total count of the file based on creation date with there filename selected pattern. Filename: MobileProtocol.20171228T154200.157115.udr I want to get the count of files created on each day based on a pattern find. find . -type... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for specific key in a file and print it

Hi All, I have a file abc.txt Database unique name: NEPAL Database name: NEPAL Services: NEPAL_COB,NEPAL_PROD output i need is it should search "Services" and it that search "COB" word so output i need is like NEPAL_COB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amar1208
3 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)