Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris patching using mirror disk backup? need help! Post 302636859 by Exposure on Tuesday 8th of May 2012 04:57:23 AM
Old 05-08-2012
Solaris patching using mirror disk backup? need help!

hi friends, need help.. it is my first time patching using mirror disk backup approach, not so sure about the steps Smilie how do you detach, patch it, boot it and reattach it ? any kind soul here can advise ? thanks in advance..Smilie

below is the information from my machine:

Code:
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on

/dev/md/dsk/d1       10327372 3899944 6324155    39%    /

/proc                      0       0       0     0%    /proc

mnttab                     0       0       0     0%    /etc/mnttab

fd                         0       0       0     0%    /dev/fd

/dev/md/dsk/d3       7230605  693719 6464580    10%    /var

swap                 10898440      24 10898416     1%    /var/run

swap                 10898976     560 10898416     1%    /tmp

/dev/dsk/c1t3d0s0    67129691 55469961 10988434    84%    /e03

/dev/md/dsk/d4       39247075 29872025 8982580    77%    /u03

/dev/dsk/c1t2d0s0    20655529 13579291 6869683    67%    /u01

/dev/dsk/c1t2d0s1    20655529 13754680 6694294    68%    /u04

Code:
d4 -m d41 d42 1
d41 1 1 c1t0d0s4
d42 1 1 c1t1d0s4
d3 -m d31 d32 1
d31 1 1 c1t0d0s3
d32 1 1 c1t1d0s3
d2 -m d21 d22 1
d21 1 1 c1t0d0s1
d22 1 1 c1t1d0s1
d1 -m d11 d12 1
d11 1 1 c1t0d0s0
d12 1 1 c1t1d0s0

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-14-2012 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Disk Mirror in Solaris 9 via Solaris Volume Manager

Hello, I am trying to do mirror in solaris 9. I have total 0-7 disks 4 5 6 7 0 1 2 3 Drive 0 and Drive 4 = Boot Drives Need to Mirror following drives. Drive 1 and Drive 5 = Need to mirror Drive 1 was mounted on: /prod1, /prod2, /prod3, /prod4, /prod5. Then i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 - breaking of mirror and change new hard disk

Hi, am a newbie at solaris. Need advice and help on this. 1) How do I break the mirror between 2 hard disks. (wish to keep 1 good hard disk as backup) 2) After remove 1 hard disk and put in new hard disk, how do I initialise or fomat the new hard disk? 3) How do I put back the backup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chongkls77
3 Replies

3. Solaris

How to create mirror disk in solaris machine?

hi, I'm newbie in Solaris 10. can someone explain me the steps of how to create mirror disk in Solaris machine. thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wong_Cilacap
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Mirror patching

HI Friends.... kindly explain os mirror patching?in SVM and Vxvm. :wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_Apple
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Create a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86

I’m setting up a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86. I’m used to doing it on SPARC, where you can copy the partition table using fmthard. My x86 boot disk has 2 primary partitions, a Solaris one and a diagnostic one. Is there a way to copy those 2 primary partitions to the second disk without... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
6 Replies

6. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 9 x86 check disk mirror status

We have Proliant DL380 G2 running Solaris 9 x86 There are 6 physical disks installed which I believe are mirrored at hardware level to 3 sets to present 3 disks to the OS. Is there any way to check the mirror status at OS level ? I am guessing not and it may need a trip to site as we have no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Need help in creating script for disk mirror and backup

Hi, I am very new to scripting. I need to create a script which does following. Scenario: First get the format command output echo | format Insert the new disk to Solaris Server Get Zpool status format the new disk ( Here I need to select the new disk which have been inserted, I do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveensharma21
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Whole disk backup in Solaris 11

Hello! I have an Oracle server X5-2 with Solaris 11. Now, this server will get repurposed before I get a system of my own. I am a beginner...but is there a way I can make a backup or an image of my whole disk so when I get my own system I can just restore without having to reinstall software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipsandiscream
1 Replies
vxmirror(1M)															      vxmirror(1M)

NAME
vxmirror - mirror volumes on a disk or control default mirroring SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxmirror [-g diskgroup ] [-d yes|no ] [-t tasktag ] medianame [new_medianame...] /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror [-g diskgroup ] [-d yes|no ] [-t tasktag ] -a [new_medianame...] /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror [-g diskgroup ] [-d yes|no] /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror [-g diskgroup] -D DESCRIPTION
The vxmirror command provides a mechanism to mirror all non-mirrored volumes that are located on a specified disk, to mirror all currently non-mirrored volumes in the specified disk group, or to change or display the current defaults for mirroring. All volumes that have only a single plex (mirror copy), are mirrored by adding an additional plex. Volumes containing subdisks that reside on more than one disk are not mirrored by vxmirror. vxmirror is generally called from the vxdiskadm menus. It is not an interactive command, and after it is called, continues until comple- tion of the operation or until a failure is detected. Note: Generating mirror copies of volumes can take a considerable time to complete. In the first listed form of this command, the disk media name is supplied on the command line to vxmirror. That name is assumed to be the only disk from which volumes are mirrored. In the case of mirroring volumes from a specified disk, only simple single-subdisk volumes are mirrored. In the first and second listed forms of the command, new_medianame... identifies a new disk media name (or set of names). The mirroring operation uses these names as targets on which to allocate the mirrors. An error results if the same disk is specified for both the source and target disk and if no other viable targets are supplied. Hardware-Specifc Note Some environments provide guidelines to optimize the VxVM's interaction with intelligent storage systems. If these guidelines are present, VxVM follows the guidelines when creating volumes or allocating space for volumes. By default, vxmirror only creates mirror volumes that conform with these guidelines. The following options change the behavior of vxmirror: -o override Creates a mirror of the specified volume and ignores any storage-specific guidelines. Overriding the guidelines is not recom- mended as it can result in incompatible objects, or objects that cannot be administered by VxVM. -o verify Verifies that the specified mirror can be created without violating any storage-specific guidelines, but does not create the plex. If any guidelines are violated, vxmirror exits with an error message. Note: These options need a specific license. Without the license, vxmirror ignores the specified option. OPTIONS
-a Mirrors all existing volumes for the specified disk group. -d yes | no Changes the default for subsequent volume creation, depending on the option argument. If yes, then all subsequent volumes cre- ated automatically become mirrored volumes. If no, then mirroring is turned off for future volumes created. -D Displays current default status for mirroring. -g diskgroup Limits operation of the command to the given disk group, as specified by disk group ID or disk group name. The medianame oper- ands are evaluated relative to the given disk group. If this option is not specified, the default disk group is determined using the rules given in the vxdg(1M) manual page. -t tasktag Specifies using a tasktag as the tag for any tasks created to perform the mirror operations. EXAMPLES
The following command mirrors all non-mirrored volumes on disk disk01 to the available space on any other available disk. Subsequent calls to vxassist mirror created volumes by default. /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror -d yes disk01 This command displays the current status of default mirroring. It outputs the string yes if mirroring is currently enabled, or no if mir- roring is not enabled. /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror -D This command mirrors any volumes on disk02 to disk03. /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror disk02 disk03 FILES
/etc/default/vxassist The defaults file for vxassist parameters. SEE ALSO
vxassist(1M), vxdiskadm(1M), vxintro(1M), vxtask(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxmirror(1M)