Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problems executing script
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Problems executing script Post 302636567 by Lindy70 on Monday 7th of May 2012 03:09:19 PM
Old 05-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Your code never asks for input. Your program FINISHES by the time you're typing anything in. You need to use the read command to read input after you show the menu. read VARNAME
Thanks, as soon as I read that I realized what I did. Still trying to figure all of this out.
Thanks again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems executing SQL Plus sessions

If I execute this script: $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus -s <<EOF > oracle.log $DB_id/$DB_pswd@$DB_server start test.sql EOF the sql script executes with no errors. IF I execute the following script:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mh53j_fe
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Executing a shell script from windows;script present in unix

I need to execute a shell script kept in unix machine from windows. User id, password area available. For eg. There's a shell script wich moves all the logs kept in my home directory to a directory named LOGS. Now i need to get this done through windows; either using a batch file, or java... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajneesh_kapoor
4 Replies

3. Debian

Problems with Crontab not executing scripts after edit

Hi all I installed Debian and i have a few scripts that outputs what is happening. The wierd part...after fresh install all works ok but after i open or edit Crontab it stops executing the scripts...and scripts runs manually so its not a problem with scripts...what happens is that i usually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ro0t3d
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables of executed script available in executing script

Hi, I have a script get_DB_var.ksh which do a data base call and get some variables as below: sqlplus -silent $user/$pass@dbname <<END select col1, col2, col3 from table_name where col4=$1; exit; END Now I want to access all these variables i.e.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with remotely executing scripts

Hi, in the below command, i export a value to a variable which later is used by the script, however i dont see the exported value is actually been exported. ssh user@host "export var=/path/ ; cd /path/ ; ./script" how can i use the above command with proper value of var remotley (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: suraj.sheikh
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script not executing

Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted it here. I've used UNIX quite a bit, LINUX not so much. For some reason, my LINUX script will not execute if I type in the script name and press enter. I'm in the directory where the script is. test.sh However, when I use ". ./" it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script dosent exits after executing the script

Hi i wrote a script which dosent exists after executing any help #!/bin/bash netstat -ptlen | grep 10000 if ; then echo "Hive Thrift server is running" exit 0 else echo "Hive Thrift server is down Trying to Bring up the service" | mail -s "ALERT" team@domain.com `nohup hive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remotely Executing Shell Script - Problems

Hey Lads, I have a shell script on a remote Server X that i need to execute from Server A. the script executes fine locally but remotely does not. It appears the script on the remote machine is calling another shell script which only has an array defined . Please see below the errors. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Oracle script from UNIX Script

Hi, I am new to UNIX and want to execute oracle script from unix script. I have written below script but i am getting below error. #!/bin/bash file="/home/usr/control/control_file1" while read line do #$line=@$line #echo $line sqlplus tiger/scott@DB @$line exit #echo "$line" done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin kumar rai
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problems executing an interactive shell script

I am new to Unix shell and to this forum. I am having some trouble executing an interactive shell script that I have written using Mac TextEdit that takes a user input via terminal of a file type (jpg or gif) and then activates a script that will iterate through a folder of unsorted file types... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
4 Replies
catch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  catch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
catch - Evaluate script and trap exceptional returns SYNOPSIS
catch script ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The catch command may be used to prevent errors from aborting command interpretation. Catch calls the Tcl interpreter recursively to exe- cute script, and always returns without raising an error, regardless of any errors that might occur while executing script. If script raises an error, catch will return a non-zero integer value corresponding to one of the exceptional return codes (see tcl.h for the definitions of code values). If the varName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to the error message from interpret- ing script. If script does not raise an error, catch will return 0 (TCL_OK) and set the variable to the value returned from script. Note that catch catches all exceptions, including those generated by break and continue as well as errors. The only errors that are not caught are syntax errors found when the script is compiled. This is because the catch command only catches errors during runtime. When the catch statement is compiled, the script is compiled as well and any syntax errors will generate a Tcl error. EXAMPLES
The catch command may be used in an if to branch based on the success of a script. if { [catch {open $someFile w} fid] } { puts stderr "Could not open $someFile for writing $fid" exit 1 } The catch command will not catch compiled syntax errors. The first time proc foo is called, the body will be compiled and a Tcl error will be generated. proc foo {} { catch {expr {1 +- }} } KEYWORDS
catch, error Tcl 8.0 catch(n)