Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ldom patching
Operating Systems Solaris ldom patching Post 302636527 by Revo on Monday 7th of May 2012 02:30:02 PM
Old 05-07-2012
As you can have the guest domains running at different patch levels than the host, and each other, as they are effectively "independant" machines I don't think it matters, as long as you follow the patch guidelines and recommendations for whichever you do.

We have always done the host domain first, but that is ore of an internal method of getting approval from the differing departments with "machines" running on it.

Of course, whichever you do, you do have a good full backup before you start work right? Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Autosys on LDOM

Has anyone configured an Autosys server to run on a Solaris LDOM? I can't think of any obvious reason why there would be a problem with it, but.... Jerry (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
0 Replies

2. AIX

ldom and lpar

hi, Plz let me know if the concept of sun ldom and aix lpar is same or not. thnx, snj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snjksh
1 Replies

3. Solaris

ldom and zone

hi, what is the difference between ldom and zone. can we install any other os than sun in ldom. thanks, snj. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snjksh
2 Replies

4. Solaris

VxVM5.1 in a Ldom

Has any one installed and used VxVM5.1 in a Ldom .. i was able to install it but when i try to initialize a disk it gives me following error as the disks are imported from ZFS backend .. :-( and they does not show the target no. /etc/vx/bin/vxdisksetup -if c0d2s2 VxVM vxdisksetup ERROR... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

5. Solaris

LDOM reconfiguration after SB replacement

Hi All, server was down with hardware issue and we couldn't took the LDOM configuration backup. Now system-board replaced and we need to get recreate OLD LDOM configuration. please advice with me the possible solution. :mad::( Thanks N (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Ldom problem

Hi People, I have been trying to learn solaris ldoms, have created one on a T2000 and get the following error when try to install it off DVD WARNING: /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/disk@1: Communication error with Virtual Disk Server using Port 0. Retrying If anyone could help... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Saving LDOM Confguration

Hi, I am new to Solaris LDOMs. I just need to confirm if I save the guest LDOM configuration. Destroy the LDOM and need to use exported xml file to setup same LDOM, is OS installation required or everything will come as it is for new LDOM. I heard that -------- ldm list-constraints -x... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveensharma21
3 Replies
hostname(5)							File Formats Manual						       hostname(5)

NAME
hostname - host name resolution description DESCRIPTION
Hostnames are domains. A domain is a hierarchical, dot-separated list of subdomains. For example, the machine in the subdomain of the sub- domain of the Internet Domain Name System would be represented as (with no trailing dot). Hostnames are often used with network client and server programs, which must generally translate the name to an address for use. (This task is usually performed by the library routine When NIS or the host table is being used for hostname resolution, the hostname is looked up without modification. When DNS is used, the resolver may append domains to the hostname. The default method for resolving hostnames by the Internet name resolver is to follow security recommendations. Actions can be taken by the administrator to override these recommendations and to have the resolver behave the same as earlier, non-RFC 1535 compliant resolvers. The default method (using RFC 1535 guidelines) follows: If the name consists of a single component, i.e. contains no dot, and if the environment variable is set to the name of a file, that file is searched for a string matching the input hostname. The file should consist of lines made up of two strings separated by white-space, the first of which is the hostname alias, and the second of which is the complete hostname to be substituted for that alias. If a case- insensitive match is found between the hostname to be resolved and the first field of a line in the file, the substituted name is looked up with no further processing. If there is at least one dot in the name, then the name is first tried as is. The number of dots to cause this action is configurable by setting the threshold using the option in (default: If the name ends with a dot, the trailing dot is removed, and the remaining name is looked up (regardless of the setting of the 'ndots' option) and no further processing is done. If the input name does not end with a trailing dot, it is looked up by searching through a list of domains until a match is found. If nei- ther the search option in the file or the environment variable is used, then the search list of domains contains only the full domain spec- ified by the domain option (in or the domain used in the local hostname (see resolver(4)). For example, if the option is set to CS.Berke- ley.EDU, then only CS.Berkeley.EDU will be in the search list and will be the only domain appended to the partial hostname, lithium, making the only name to be tried using the search list. If the search option is used in or the environment variable, is set by the user, then the search list will include what is set by these methods. For example, if the option contained then the partial hostname (e.g., lithium) will be tried with each domain name appended (in the same order specified). The resulting host- names that would be tried are: The environment variable overrides the and options, and if both options are present in the resolver configuration file, then only the last one listed is used (see resolver(4)). If the name was not previously tried ``as is'' (i.e., it fell below the threshold or did not contain a dot), then the name, as originally provided, is attempted. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
named(1M), gethostbyname(3N), gethostent(3N), resolver(4), RFC 1535. hostname(5)