Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Assigning Domain Server Breaks rlogin Post 302636395 by bakunin on Monday 7th of May 2012 11:07:17 AM
Old 05-07-2012
First off, the IP network you use looks fishy: the "usual" setup is to have a private network and routing to the internet shut off. Then, via a proxy server in a DMZ, selected systems are allowed to access the internet. To hide the (not-routable) private addresses from the internet usually NAT is used.

This works because several addresses of the IP address range are set aside and defined as a) not being routable and b) used for private purposes. This means, the normal property of an IP address to be distinct worldwide is not the case with these addresses. Everybody can use them (instead of having to registering them with the IANA), but in return you cannot access the internet with these.

The address ranges in question are (see RFC 1597 or RFC 1918, "Address Allocation for Private Internets"):

10 (-> one class-A net)
172.16 - 172.31 (-> 16 class-B nets)
192.168.0 - 192.168.255 (-> 256 class-C nets)

I presume you (metaphorical - maybe your predecessor admin) wanted to set up a private network, but mixed up addresses. Right now you are using official internet addresses, probably without having them registered and them being duplicate. This works well as long as there is absolutely no connection to the internet, but once there is (and you say that there is now) this will lead to errors galore.

I still cannot tell you why your specific error message showed up, but i suggest that you correct the most obvious error first, which will definitely prevent successful operation anyway.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

DCHP server assigning a wrong Address

Pls could you help me diagnose my problem. I have a system which is a DHCP server and also the Remote Access Server. The DHCP server allocate normal address within the scope range to the LAN system. why it allocates abitrary number such as 169.254.217.90 255.255.0.0 class B address to the remote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayode
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

block certain domain from sending mail to server

hi currently i have a server that is able to send out and receive mail. is there a way to configure the server such that mails can be sent to a certain domail like abc@yahoo.com but block mails from this domain abc@yahoo.com. the server is running on solaris 10. thanks in advance :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail server in home network and without domain name

Hi peeps, I want to learn how to configure mail servers, I am in private network, I am running debian 4.0, practically I have tried courier-mta, courier-imap, postfix, and sendmail. sometimes I am able to send mail and not able to connect to my imap server which is localhost, sometimes I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squid04
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

domain linux server, open ports?

Hi all - i currently run a domain strifex.net. This domain has a dedicated IP address and in having that, should be able to run a ventrilo VoIP server from it. I uploaded all the needed files etc... and am able to connect to it, if and only if i enable DMZ to my local machine - then i am able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccfc1986
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Assigning two hostname to single server

Hi All, Is there any option where in I can assign the two hostname to single system. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Assigning cryptographic resources to the control domain

Sun documentation suggests that we need to assign cryptographic resources to the control domain as part of the initial configuration. I searched the documentation to better understand the purpose of this and know recommendation/limitation. I am doing this for Netra T5220 and wondering if the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Domain name server installation issue in centOS

HI All, I am trying to setup DNS on my centOS server. I am using bind software to setup DNS. The following errors have getting. ================================================== Error in named configuration: zone localdomain/IN: loaded serial 42 zone localhost/IN: loaded serial 42... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpconnect
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining the Linux server to a Windows AD domain

Hi , I have a domain contoso.com, which is created by Windows AD, i have a linux server which i want to join to this domain. Linux server-: RHEL 5.3 ******Info of the windows domain************* AD server- Windows 2008 r2 server. Please help me to join this linux server to the windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shroh
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 server as Primary Domain Controller

Hi, All of our servers run Solaris (currently 10, but looking to upgrade to 11). In each of our offices we have a server configured as a Primary Domain Controller via Samba to provide naming services to our Windoze users. I would like to continue with that arrangement, but I would also like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wgkorb
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Page breaks and line breaks

Hi All, Need an urgent solution to an issue . We have created a ksh file or shell script which generates 1 DAT file. the DAT file contains extract of a select statement . Now the issue is , when we are executing the ksh file , the output is coimng with page breaks and line breaks . We have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ayaskant
4 Replies
inet(7F)																  inet(7F)

NAME
inet - Internet protocol family SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The internet protocol family is a collection of protocols layered on top of the (IP) network layer, which utilizes the internet address format. The internet family supports the SOCK_STREAM and SOCK_DGRAM socket types. Addressing Internet addresses are four byte entities. The include file defines this address as the structure Sockets bound to the internet protocol family utilize an addressing structure called Pointers to this structure can be used in system calls wherever they ask for a pointer to a There are three fields of interest within this structure. The first is which must be set to AF_INET. The next is which specifies the port number to be used on the desired host. The third is which is of type and specifies the address of the desired host. Protocols The internet protocol family is comprised of the IP network protocol, Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP), Transmission Control Proto- col (TCP), and User Datagram Protocol (UDP). TCP is used to support the socket type while UDP is used to support the socket type. The ICMP message protocol and IP network protocol are not directly accessible. The local port address is selected from independent domains for TCP and UDP sockets. This means that creating a TCP socket and binding it to local port number 10000, for example, does not interfere with creating a UDP socket and also binding it to local port number 10000 at the same time. Port numbers in the range 1-1023 inclusive are reserved for use by the super-user only. Attempts to bind to port numbers in this range by non-super-users fail and result in an error returned. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
tcp(7P), udp(7P). inet(7F)