Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX memory issue
Operating Systems AIX AIX memory issue Post 302636033 by learnbash on Monday 7th of May 2012 02:32:26 AM
Old 05-07-2012
@bakunin

Dear sir, Thanks so much for your kind reply, now system load is decrease, we are using lpar, regarding hard-disk and other detail i will provide you in detail. Actually my main concern is why buffer is 21gb, is it possible we can decrease that, like in linux we can decrease memory/buffer cache.

Anyway once again thanks, i will try to give more information soon.

---------- Post updated at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:30 AM ----------

Users are connected via ssh only no gui interface involved in that.

Some time load goes 2 and sometimes now to 9. Java and oracle is taking memory alot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Memory Issue

Hi There, I have upgraded the DELL poweredge 2600 server memory from 2GB to 4GB. However, the memory only showed at 2GB of utilization. How to make sure that the server is full utilize of 4GB of memory. Is there the Virtual memory need to be reconfigure as this server is run on windows 2000 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestro
2 Replies

2. Linux

Memory issue while diff !!!

Hi All Any idea? why am I having this memory issue? perforce@ixca-pforce-bak:/home/p4-demo-root$ diff checkpoint_offline ../p4-demo-root2/checkpoint.1150 diff: memory exhausted Thanks a lot C Saha (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
0 Replies

3. AIX

Shared memory issue

Hi friends.. Help to solve this issue... Is there any parameter setting to control or limit the size of the shared memory a process can attach for the below specified environment? The man pages says it can attach upto segments of size 2GB. But when our process (which also connects to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Locked memory issue

One of our project has exceeded its assigned max-memory-locked by 3 times .. The said project is using around 9 gigs as described by rss parameter in prstat -J .. and the max-project-memory parameter has been defined as 3gigs .. is it normal or we are monitoring the project memory usage in wrong... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

5. AIX

Memory consumption issue in AIX box

Hi, monitor memory usage on AIX machine on any day of the week from 3:00 PM ET to 5:00 PM ET - Povide min and max memory consumption. Determine if all of the available memory is visible to the operating system. If it is not, determine the amount of memory which may be allocated to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rookie_newbie
3 Replies

6. SuSE

Memory utilization issue

I have parallels container running on Suse. From top command, I am not able to see, what is eating up so big amount of memory. top - 07:44:24 up 172 days, 18:52, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00 Tasks: 44 total, 1 running, 43 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu(s): 0.0%us, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

7. AIX

Memory issue

I have a server with 300Gb allocated to it. Some times I observed in topas Comp% 73 and Non comp 35% and client is also 35% and my paging is showing 92%. If my physical memory utilized only 70% then why paging is so high. And what is relation between Comp, noncomp and client? If the memory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powerAIX
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Memory Issue

I could not find what is consuming the memory, generated DSET reports and NO hardware wise memory issue. 64 GB RAM on a server yet all I could see is a very limited memory available. I am not sure if I am reading this correct or not. I have used free -t -m and cat /proc/meminfo (results below)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
3 Replies

9. Linux

Swap memory issue

Hi, In our production box i can see the Swap space using the below command free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 65963232 41041084 24922148 0 877160 35936292 -/+ buffers/cache: 4227632 61735600 Swap: 4192880 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Out of memory issue in perl

I am getting a out of memory issue while executing the perl program. Per version : /opt/acc_perl/lib/site_perl/5.14.2 Read in 54973 total records Read in 54973 table records from table. Out of memory! so the job get failed due to out of memory. need to get rid of the out of memory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
3 Replies
MADVISE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							MADVISE(2)

NAME
madvise -- give advice about use of memory LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int behav); int posix_madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The madvise() system call allows a process that has knowledge of its memory behavior to describe it to the system. The posix_madvise() interface is identical and is provided for standards conformance. The known behaviors are: MADV_NORMAL Tells the system to revert to the default paging behavior. MADV_RANDOM Is a hint that pages will be accessed randomly, and prefetching is likely not advantageous. MADV_SEQUENTIAL Is a hint that pages will be accessed sequentially, from the lower address to higher address. It might cause the VM system to depress the priority of pages immediately preceding a given page when it is faulted in. MADV_WILLNEED Is a hint that pages will be accessed in the near future. It might cause the VM system to make pages that are in a given virtual address range to temporarily have higher priority, and if they are in memory, decrease the likelihood of them being freed. It might immediately map the pages that are already in memory into the process, thereby eliminating unnecessary overhead of going through the entire process of faulting the pages in. It might or might not fault pages in from backing store. MADV_DONTNEED Is a hint that pages will not be accessed in the near future. It might allow the VM system to decrease the in-memory prior- ity of pages in the specified range. MADV_FREE Gives the VM system the freedom to free pages, and tells the system that information in the specified page range is no longer important. Portable programs that call the posix_madvise() interface should use the aliases POSIX_MADV_NORMAL, POSIX_MADV_SEQUENTIAL, POSIX_MADV_RANDOM, POSIX_MADV_WILLNEED, and POSIX_MADV_DONTNEED rather than the flags described above. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
madvise() will fail if: [EINVAL] Invalid parameters were provided. SEE ALSO
mincore(2), mprotect(2), msync(2), munmap(2), posix_fadvise(2) STANDARDS
The posix_madvise() system call is expected to conform to the IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') standard. HISTORY
The madvise system call first appeared in 4.4BSD, but until NetBSD 1.5 it did not perform any of the requests on, or change any behavior of the address range given. The posix_madvise() was invented in NetBSD 5.0. BSD
March 29, 2011 BSD