Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automatic counter script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Automatic counter script Post 302635879 by Corona688 on Sunday 6th of May 2012 02:35:19 PM
Old 05-06-2012
Because it's possible for it to skip straight past 10. Sometimes it might end up 11, or 12, if the numbers don't sum to an even 10.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error in Script (counter)

Hello: Executing following script i'm getting error: 1=1+1: 0403-058 Assignment requires an lvalue. It's not assuming the counter but i don't know why. Some hint? Thank you very much in advance. #!/bin/ksh <path>/tiempos.txt num_exe=1 TIEMPOS=<path>/tiempos.txt while ] do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Felix2511
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counter Script..help please

I have generated a script that will email a list of people if a certain PID is not running, using "mailx". I have the script running every 5 minutes as a cron job. I want the script to stop sending an email, if the email has been sent 5 times (meaning PID is dead). I want this so that my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunguy222
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accumulate counter in script

Hi, I'm new to unix and have a problem? I'm writing a basic script in ksh and it is a basic quiz with 5 questions. I need to be able to accumulate the correct answers at the end and echo out the total correct answers, I cannot work it out? Please see script so far. If anyone can help that will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automatic script

Hi, is it possible to automatically run a script (bash) when an event occurs? I mean, let's say that I (or one of my users) plug in a flash memory (USB) ... is it possible to run a script every time I do this action (let's say to log user, date and other infos on a file)? Thanks! Bye... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TShirt
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cant get a counter to work in bash scipt, this is calling expect script

I have looked high and low, tryed lots of diffrent things but cant get a simple counter to work right. what i need is to increase a count ever time it finishes the test, pass or fail. example TEST PASS 1, NEXT TEST PASS 2, I curently have set foo o while {$foo <=5} { incr foo puts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melvin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reset the counter in shell script

I am executing the following script using 'awk -f process.awk out' where 'out' is the input file which consists of 5000 sequences. Each time it takes one sequence, run the below program by creating a directory, run the mfold command within that directory, running another shell script 'final5' and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswapnadevi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display a counter in shell script?

Hi, I am writing a script which processes large number of files in a directory. I wanto display a counter which increment after processing each file. I am processing each file in a for loop. If I echo a variable with its value increasing with each file, I will get around 5000 lines as output.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaiseaugustine
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing the date depending on the Counter (parameter) passed to the script

Hello Everyone, I have been trying to complete a shell script where, I need to increment the date depending on the file (depending on the date) availability on the remote server. i.e. Basically, I will be passing a counter (like parameter 1 or 2 or 3 or 4). First I will check for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filter
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use counter to run the script to limit number?

I want to run my shell script to the limit number.Suppose I know in advance that MAX=5 then I want that my script run 5 times only.Something like below$ vi testingMAX=5COMMAND=&quot;ssh -l stpuser VHLDVWSAD001 /projects/st/utils/deploy/deployall.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &&quot; ; sleep 20;count=0while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with simple script with counter

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am to create a script that checks a file for specific attributes. Read, write, execute, if the file is empty,... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: silencep77
13 Replies
TOTAL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TOTAL(1)

NAME
total - sum up columns SYNOPSIS
total [ -m ][ -sE | -p | -u | -l ][ -i{f|d}[N] ][ -o{f|d} ][ -tC ][ -N [ -r ]] [ file .. ] DESCRIPTION
Total sums up columns of real numbers from one or more files and prints out the result on its standard output. By default, total computes the straigt sum of each input column, but multiplication can be specified instead with the -p option. Likewise, the -u option means find the upper limit (maximum), and -l means find the lower limit (minimum). Sums of powers can be computed by giving an exponent with the -s option. (Note that there is no space between the -s and the exponent.) This exponent can be any real number, positive or negative. The absolute value of the input is always taken before the power is computed in order to avoid complex results. Thus, -s1 will produce a sum of absolute values. The default power (zero) is interpreted as a straight sum without taking absolute values. The -m option can be used to compute the mean rather than the total. For sums, the arithmetic mean is computed. For products, the geomet- ric mean is computed. (A logarithmic sum of absolute values is used to avoid overflow, and zero values are silently ignored.) If the input data is binary, the -id or -if option may be given for 64-bit double or 32-bit float values, respectively. Either option may be followed immediately by an optional count, which defaults to 1, indicating the number of double or float binary values to read per record on the input file. (There can be no space between the option and this count.) Similarly, the -od and -of options specify binary double or float output, respectively. These options do not need a count, as this will be determined by the number of input channels. A count can be given as the number of lines to read before computing a result. Normally, total reads each file to its end before producing its result, but this behavior may be overridden by inserting blank lines in the input. For each blank input line, total produces a result as if the end-of-file had been reached. If two blank lines immediately follow each other, total closes the file and proceeds to the next one (after reporting the result). The -N option (where N is a decimal integer) tells total to produce a result and reset the calculation after every N input lines. In addition, the -r option can be specified to override reinitialization and thus give a running total every N lines (or every blank line). If the end of file is reached, the current total is printed and the calculation is reset before the next file (with or without the -r option). The -tC option can be used to specify the input and output tab character. The default tab character is TAB. If no files are given, the standard input is read. EXAMPLE
To compute the RMS value of colon-separated columns in a file: total -t: -m -s2 input To produce a running product of values from a file: total -p -1 -r input BUGS
If the input files have varying numbers of columns, mean values will certainly be off. Total will ignore missing column entries if the tab separator is a non-white character, but cannot tell where a missing column should have been if the tab character is white. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1) RADIANCE
2/3/95 TOTAL(1)