Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password Policy description
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Password Policy description Post 302635659 by admin_xor on Saturday 5th of May 2012 04:53:31 PM
Old 05-05-2012
Where did you get the output from? Can you post chage -l userid output for the user account? If maximum age of a password is set to 90 days, then the password surely expires at the end of the 90th day. As simple as that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need openLDAP + Password policy guide

Hi all of you.............. I am using openldap on ubuntu server . i want to apply password policy for user's to set password length , expire date , ......etc. can anybody guide me to configure this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagnikam
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Password policy problem ??

Hi Solaris's expert I need to change user password on Solaris10 2 servers. With the same password I can change it just only one. Try to check everything but not found difference?? password pattern: abcdeFgh9Jk server1 check all characters but server2 check only first 8 characters.Why??... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
10 Replies

3. Red Hat

Shadow file password policy

Today i was going through some of security guides written on linux . Under shadow file security following points were mentioned. 1)The encrypted password stored under /etc/shadow file should have more than 14-25 characters. 2)Usernames in shadow file must satisfy to all the same rules as... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
14 Replies

4. Red Hat

NIS password policy

Hi, I am running NIS server on redhat linux 5 and I want to implement password restrictions for the yppasswd, how can I do it.Please help me. I can implement password restriction for passwd by configuring /etc/pam.d/system-auth and setting crack_lib.so but I don't know how to implent the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
3 Replies

5. Solaris

password policy for new user

hi folk, i try to setup a new password policy for our solaris box user, below are the /etc/default/passwd/, but then when i tried to create a user, it didn't ask for numeric character, and the new password also didn't ask for special characters. # useradd testing # passwd testing New... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
7 Replies

6. Ubuntu

User and Password Policy

Hi linux expert, i would like to create a script for listing all user with there password policy. It should be in the following format: Last password change : Sep 19, 2011 Password expires : never Password inactive : never Account... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yprudent
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris and PAM Password policy

Hello All, I have Sun DSEE7 (11g) on Solaris 10. I have run idsconfig and initialized ldap client with profile created using idsconfig. My ldap authentication works. Here is my pam.conf # Authentication management # # login service (explicit because of pam_dial_auth) # login ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandu345
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Password Expiration Policy

Hello Team, I am using Lubuntu & have DRBL remote boot setup with open Ldap authentication. Currently there is no password expire policy. I want to set Password Policy so that user's password will expire after a month & they will get prompt to change their password. Using PAM we can do it,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
1 Replies

9. AIX

Password Policy

I need help. I have set a password policy. But I want to dis allow setting user name as password. My policy is as below... min length =8 min diff=2 min alpha=2 max repeats=2 dictionary= /usr/share/dict/words Still user can set his username as password (i.e. Jackie1234). Code tags for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: powerAIX
11 Replies

10. Red Hat

Password policy for root

Hi, I am unable to enforce password complexity policy for root user. (other users are working) on RHEL 6.2. Anything wrong with system-auth parameters? PLease help.. vi /etc/pam.d/system-auth #%PAM-1.0 # This file is auto-generated. # User changes will be destroyed the next time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
1 Replies
chage(1)						      General Commands Manual							  chage(1)

NAME
chage - change user password expiry information SYNOPSIS
chage [-D binddn] [-P path] [-m mindays] [-M maxdays] [-d lastday] [-I inactive] [-E expiredate] [-W warndays] user chage -l [user] DESCRIPTION
chage is used to list and change the password expiry information of a user. It allows the system administrator to change the number of days between allowed and required password changes and the date of the last password change. It allows also to define when an account will expire. The chage command is restricted to the system administrator, except for the -l option, which may be used by an user to determine when his password or account is due to expire. If no option is given, chage operates in an interactive mode, prompting the user with the current values for all of the fields. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. If the users exists in the local passwd file, but not in the local shadow file, chage will create a new entry in the shadow file. OPTIONS
-D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd and shadow files are located below the specified directory path. chage will use this files, not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. This is useful for example on NIS master servers, where you do not want to give all users in the NIS database auto- matic access to your NIS server and the NIS map is build from special files. -l, --list This option will list the password expiry information in a human readable format. The user will see the date when he changed the password the last time, when the password will be expire, when the password will be locked and when the account will expire. -m, --mindays mindays With this option the minimum number of days between password changes is changed. A value of zero for this field indicates that the user may change her password at any time. Else the user will not be permitted to change the password until min days have elapsed. -M, --maxdays maxdays With this option the maximum number of days during which a password is valid is changed. When maxdays plus lastday is less than the current day, the user will be required to change his password before being able to use the account. -d, --lastday lastday With this option the date when the password was last changed can be set to another value. lastday has to be specified as number of days since January 1st, 1970. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD. If supported by the system, a value of zero forces the user to change the password at next login. -E, --expiredate expiredate With this option the date when the account will be expired can be changed. expiredate has to be specified as number of days since January 1st, 1970. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD. -I, --inactive inactive This option is used to set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before the account is locked. A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the account again. A value of -1 disables this feature. -W, --warndays warndays With this option the number of days of warning before a password change is required can be changed. This option is the number of days prior to the password expiring that a user will be warned the password is about to expire. FILES
passwd - user account information shadow - shadow user account information SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passwd(5) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils November 2005 chage(1)