Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting displaying columns based on column name Post 302635313 by ab2zu on Friday 4th of May 2012 03:31:47 PM
Old 05-04-2012
This seems to work:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
  use warnings;

use Getopt::Std;

our $opt_c = '';

getopt('c');

die "Error: must specify a comma-separated list of columns with -c"
    unless $opt_c;

my @wantedcols = split(/,/, $opt_c);

my $collist = <>;
  die "Error: input file must have a first line with column names"
    unless $collist;
  chomp $collist;
  my @cols = split(' ', $collist);
  my @colindices;

foreach my $col_index (0 .. $#cols) {
    push @colindices, $col_index if grep {/$cols[$col_index]/} @wantedcols;
  }

while (my $line = <>) {
    chomp $line;
    my @colsin = split(' ', $line);
    print join ' ', @colsin[@colindices];
    print "\n";
  }

Save it as a file (for example, something like "bycols", and make it executable. To invoke it:

bycols -cCOLA,COLB,COLD input.file

Maybe not the most compact perl in the world, but it does work
This User Gave Thanks to ab2zu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep all the columns based on a particular column

This is the data file that I have 21879, 0, 22, 58, 388 0, -1, 300, 1219172589765, 1708, 0, 200, 21891, 0, 0, 33, 309 0, -1, 300, 1219172591478, 1768, 0, 200, 22505, 0, 0, 33, 339 0, -1, 300, 1219172593251, 1738, 0, 200, 21888, 0, 1, 33, 308 0, -1, 300, 1219172594995, 633, 0, 200, 24878,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmallur
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sum multiple columns based on column value

i have a file - it will be in sorted order on column 1 abc 0 1 abc 2 3 abc 3 5 def 1 7 def 0 1 -------- i'd like (awk maybe?) to get the results (any ideas)??? abc 5 9 def 1 8 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoe
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging columns based on one or more column in two files

I have two files. FileA.txt 30910 rs7468327 36587 rs10814410 91857 rs9408752 105797 rs1133715 146659 rs2262038 152695 rs2810979 181843 rs3008128 182129 rs3008131 192118 rs3008170 FileB.txt 30910 1.9415219673 0 36431 1.3351312477 0.0107191428 36587 1.3169171182... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help!!!! Awk for summing columns based on selected column value

a,b,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z,aa,bb,cc,dd,ee,ff,gg,hh,ii a thru ii are digits and strings.... The awk needed....if coloumn 9 == i (coloumn 9 is string ), output the sum of x's(coloumn 22 ) in all records and sum of y's (coloumn 23 ) in all records in a file (records.txt).... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrownBob
6 Replies

5. Linux

To get all the columns in a CSV file based on unique values of particular column

cat sample.csv ID,Name,no 1,AAA,1 2,BBB,1 3,AAA,1 4,BBB,1 cut -d',' -f2 sample.csv | sort | uniq this gives only the 2nd column values Name AAA BBB How to I get all the columns of CSV along with this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanvel
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Columns before the last Column based on the Count of Delimiters

Hi, I have a requirement where in I need to insert delimiters before the last column of the total delimiters is less than a specified number. Say if the delimiters is less than 139, I need to insert 2 columns ( with blanks) before the last field awk -F 'Ç' '{ if (NF-1 < 139)} END { "Insert 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkesi
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract columns based on the first line of each column

Sorry to bother you guys again. I have a file1 with multiple columns like this:gga_miR_100 gga_miR_300 gga_miR_3500 gga_miR_4600 gga_miR_5600 gga_miR_30 gga_miR_500 kj rwg ghhh jy jyu we vf 5g 5hg h6 56h i8 45t 44r4 4bg 4r546 9lgtr (fer) 4fr f433 3feev f4 bf4 35g vfr ge 2rr ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuejian
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split 1 column into numerous columns based on patterns

Hi, I have a text file 'Item_List.txt' containing only 1 column. This column lists different products, each separated by the same generic string header "NEW PRODUCT, VERSION 1.1". After this the name of the product is given, then a delimiter string "PRODUCT FIELD", and then the name of the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmab
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Conversion of rows to columns using awk based om column value

HI, My Input file data is dn:adcfgeneral id:13343 Name:xxxxxx Password:iutyerwuitywue wpuwt tuiytruityrutyrwtyrwp dn:cdferwjyyyy id:3875 Name:yyyy Password :hgfdsjkfhdsfkdlshf dshfkldshfdklsfh interset:uiuiufj My output should be ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste columns based on common column: multiple files

Hi all, I've multiple files. In this case 5. Space separated columns. Each file has 12 columns. Each file has 300-400K lines. I want to get the output such that if a value in column 2 is present in all the files then get all the columns of that value and print it side by side. Desired output... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
15 Replies
RS(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     RS(1)

NAME
rs -- reshape a data array SYNOPSIS
rs [-[csCS][x] [kKgGw][N] tTeEnyjhHmz] [rows [cols]] DESCRIPTION
The rs utility reads the standard input, interpreting each line as a row of blank-separated entries in an array, transforms the array accord- ing to the options, and writes it on the standard output. With no arguments it transforms stream input into a columnar format convenient for terminal viewing. The shape of the input array is deduced from the number of lines and the number of columns on the first line. If that shape is inconvenient, a more useful one might be obtained by skipping some of the input with the -k option. Other options control interpretation of the input col- umns. The shape of the output array is influenced by the rows and cols specifications, which should be positive integers. If only one of them is a positive integer, rs computes a value for the other which will accommodate all of the data. When necessary, missing data are supplied in a manner specified by the options and surplus data are deleted. There are options to control presentation of the output columns, including transposition of the rows and columns. The following options are available: -cx Input columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be `^I'. -sx Like -c, but maximal strings of x are delimiters. -Cx Output columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be `^I'. -Sx Like -C, but padded strings of x are delimiters. -t Fill in the rows of the output array using the columns of the input array, that is, transpose the input while honoring any rows and cols specifications. -T Print the pure transpose of the input, ignoring any rows or cols specification. -kN Ignore the first N lines of input. -KN Like -k, but print the ignored lines. -gN The gutter width (inter-column space), normally 2, is taken to be N. -GN The gutter width has N percent of the maximum column width added to it. -e Consider each line of input as an array entry. -n On lines having fewer entries than the first line, use null entries to pad out the line. Normally, missing entries are taken from the next line of input. -y If there are too few entries to make up the output dimensions, pad the output by recycling the input from the beginning. Normally, the output is padded with blanks. -h Print the shape of the input array and do nothing else. The shape is just the number of lines and the number of entries on the first line. -H Like -h, but also print the length of each line. -j Right adjust entries within columns. -wN The width of the display, normally 80, is taken to be the positive integer N. -m Do not trim excess delimiters from the ends of the output array. -z Adapt column widths to fit the largest entries appearing in them. With no arguments, rs transposes its input, and assumes one array entry per input line unless the first non-ignored line is longer than the display width. Option letters which take numerical arguments interpret a missing number as zero unless otherwise indicated. EXAMPLES
The rs utility can be used as a filter to convert the stream output of certain programs (e.g., spell, du, file, look, nm, who, and wc(1)) into a convenient ``window'' format, as in % who | rs This function has been incorporated into the ls(1) program, though for most programs with similar output rs suffices. To convert stream input into vector output and back again, use % rs 1 0 | rs 0 1 A 10 by 10 array of random numbers from 1 to 100 and its transpose can be generated with % jot -r 100 | rs 10 10 | tee array | rs -T > tarray In the editor vi(1), a file consisting of a multi-line vector with 9 elements per line can undergo insertions and deletions, and then be neatly reshaped into 9 columns with :1,$!rs 0 9 Finally, to sort a database by the first line of each 4-line field, try % rs -eC 0 4 | sort | rs -c 0 1 SEE ALSO
jot(1), pr(1), sort(1), vi(1) BUGS
Handles only two dimensional arrays. The algorithm currently reads the whole file into memory, so files that do not fit in memory will not be reshaped. Fields cannot be defined yet on character positions. Re-ordering of columns is not yet possible. There are too many options. BSD
December 30, 1993 BSD