Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add a space between certain characters Using Perl Scripting Post 302634919 by itkamaraj on Friday 4th of May 2012 03:03:54 AM
Old 05-04-2012
Code:

$ perl a.pl 
A,B,C, D,E,F, G,H

$ cat a.pl
#!/bin/perl -w
$var="A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H";
@splitArray=split(/,/,$var);
for($i=0;$i<=scalar(@splitArray);$i=$i+3)
{
        if ($i==0) {next;}
        $splitArray[$i]=" " . $splitArray[$i];
}
print join (",",@splitArray);

This User Gave Thanks to itkamaraj For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to separate every 10 characters then space then another 10 charactes

suppose u have a file P2122 AAJJSKKSKSLSKSKMSKMS P2123 AASSJMWJNSJNWHNSKSJ P2126 AHJMKNSAJNSKAKMOKALM P3533 KKKSJMAKKLLMLMSLMSPM P2122 JKKSKKMKKSKKKS--------------NSNJ P2123 NSJN---------MSKMKMKKSLLNSLL P2126 JNJSJNWKMSK-------------SKKSMK P3533 JSNSNPWLLL-SKK----SKKKSKKS so the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wc of characters in a file ignoring white space

Hi everyone, $ more abcdefg.ksh abcdef alpha beta gamma abcdef abcdef lmnop $ wc sachin1.ksh 5 7 132 abcdefg.ksh if you see it shows that file has got 240 characters. I actually want to count how many characters... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove space characters

hello I have this output ifspeed 100000000 ifspeed 100000000 collisions 413 collisions 10 duplex full duplex ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

escape space characters in loop from file

Hi Everyone! I want to build sql inserts from a list of countries/regions saved in a file. The list looks like this: United Kingdom Czech Republic ... The script I run is: while read i; do var=`expr $var + 1`; echo "INSERT INTO calltypes VALUES($var, '$i','$i');" >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuca
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space between characters using sed

Input: Youcaneasilydothisbyhighlightingyourcode. Putting space after three characters. You can eas ily dot his byh igh lig hti ngy our cod e. How can i do this using sed? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
10 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Know unix scripting somewhat ,now how to add perl to my skillset.

Hi All, I have learned a bit of unix scripting since i have been working on it for the past 2 months. I would like to add perl to my skills. I have read the O'reillys Learning perl book. Can someone suggest how to use this forum for facing newer challenges on a daily basis starting with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunwar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden Characters in Regular Expression Matching Perl - Perl Newbie

I am completely new to perl programming. My father is helping me learn said programming language. However, I am stuck on one of the assignments he has given me, and I can't find very much help with it via google, either because I have a tiny attention span, or because I can be very very dense. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittyluva2
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove characters and replace with space

tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176' < file-with-binary-chars > clean-file This removes special characters but how can I replace it with space (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
4 Replies