Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combine columns from multiple files Post 302634561 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 3rd of May 2012 01:23:29 PM
Old 05-03-2012
look into the join command
Code:
join -a 1 -a 2 file1 file2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple columns from multiple files

Hi there, I was wondering if someone can help me with this. I am trying the combine multiple columns from multiple files into one file. Example file 1: c0t0d0 c0t2d0 # hostname vgname c0t0d1 c0t2d1 # hostname vgname c0t0d2 c0t2d2 # hostname vgname c0t1d0 c0t3d0 # hostname vgname1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: martva
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine multiple files with common string into one new file.

I need to compile a large amount of data with a common string from individual text files throughout many directories. An example data file is below. I want to search for the following string, "cc_sectors_1" and combine all the data from each file which contains this string, into one new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GradStudent2010
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine multiple files by column into one files already sorted!

I have multiple files; each file contains a certain data in a column view simply i want to combine all those files into one file in columns example file1: a b c d file 2: 1 2 3 4 file 3: G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamro
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine 2 files into 1 file with 2 columns

Hi Guys, I want to combine 2 files and and put together in 1 file and make two columns out it. See below desired output. Any help will be much appreciated. inputfile1.txt 12345 67890 24580 inputfile2.txt AAAAA BBBBB CCCCC (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
11 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Combine multiple Files into one big file

Hi Ppl, I have a requirement like i will be getting files of huge size daily and if the file size is so huge ,the files will be split into many parts and sent.The first file will have the header details followed by detail records and the consecutive files will have detail records and the last... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to combine 2 files with 6 columns?

This may seem obvious but I am having problems doing this as columns get converted to rows when i try to write a script. I have 2 files text1.txt and text2.txt each of which have 6 columns of numbers separated by a space. I need to combine the 2 files so that the output file text3.txt maintains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgoldstone
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine columns from 100 files with same structure

Hi, I have a bunch of files with the following format. PUR.1.9 30910 0.024 0.926 0.050 36587 0.024 0.927 0.049 91857 0.023 0.928 0.049 105797 0.024 0.927 0.049 146659 0.024 0.927 0.049 152695 0.024 0.927 0.049 192118 0.022 0.930 0.048 193310 0.018 0.936 0.046 PUR.2.9 30910 0.028... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine Multiple Files into Single One File One after other

I am trying to combine 4 .dat files into one single Output file Inputs are:- file123.dat, file256.dat, file378.dat & file490 Expected Output:- FileName=file1 {text from file1} EOF {blank line} FileName=file2 {text from file2} EOF {blank line} FileName=file3 {text from file3} EOF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine columns from many files but keep them aligned in columns-shorter left column issue

Hello everyone, I searched the forum looking for answers to this but I could not pinpoint exactly what I need as I keep having trouble. I have many files each having two columns and hundreds of rows. first column is a string (can have many words) and the second column is a number.The files are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: isildur1234
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine and complete multiple CSV files based on 1 parameter

I have to create a new CSV file based on the value listed on the 3rd column from different CSV files. This is what I need: 1. I should substitute the first column from each file, excluding the headers, with the file name InputXX. 2. Then, I need to look for rows with 0 on the third column in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
7 Replies
join(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   join(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
[options] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 or file2 is the standard input is used. file1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing collating sequence (see Environment Variables below) on the fields on which they are to be joined; normally the first in each line. The output contains one line for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally consists of the common field followed by the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. The default input field separators are space, tab, or new-line. In this case, multiple separators count as one field separator, and lead- ing separators are ignored. The default output field separator is a space. Some of the below options use the argument n. This argument should be a or a referring to either file1 or file2, respectively. Options In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is or Replace empty output fields by string s. Join on field m of both files. The argument m must be delimited by space characters. This option and the following two are provided for backward compatibility. Use of the and options ( see below ) is recommended for portability. Join on field m of file1. Join on field m of file2. Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form where n is a file number and m is a field number. The common field is not printed unless specifically requested. Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. The character c is used as the field sepa- rator for both input and output. Instead of the default output, produce a line only for each unpairable line in file_number, where file_number is or Join on field f of file 1. Fields are numbered starting with 1. Join on field f of file 2. Fields are numbered starting with 1. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the collating sequence expects from input files. determines the alternative blank character as an input field separator, and the interpretation of data within files as single and/or multi- byte characters. also determines whether the separator defined through the option is a single- or multi-byte character. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of ``C'' (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationaliza- tion variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to ``C'' (see environ(5)). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported with the exception that multi-byte-character file names are not supported. EXAMPLES
The following command line joins the password file and the group file, matching on the numeric group ID, and outputting the login name, the group name, and the login directory. It is assumed that the files have been sorted in the collating sequence defined by the or environment variable on the group ID fields. The following command produces an output consisting all possible combinations of lines that have identical first fields in the two sorted files sf1 and sf2, with each line consisting of the first and third fields from and the second and fourth fields from WARNINGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of with the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of and are incongruous. Numeric filenames may cause conflict when the option is used immediately before listing filenames. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), sort(1), uniq(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
join(1)