Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split a file based on pattern and size Post 302634485 by jl487 on Thursday 3rd of May 2012 11:48:55 AM
Old 05-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfreyer
You might extend the file number's digits (4 digits in the example, increase if needed):
Code:
awk '/HELLO/{istr=sprintf("%04d",i++)}{print > "file"istr}' input.txt

Nice Smilie!! The naming convention modifcation will definitely help when sorting/merging.

Now I just need to merge files based on size.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File Based on Line Number Pattern

Hello all. Sorry, I know this question is similar to many others, but I just can seem to put together exactly what I need. My file is tab delimitted and contains approximately 1 million rows. I would like to send lines 1,4,& 7 to a file. Lines 2, 5, & 8 to a second file. Lines 3, 6, & 9 to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankster
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on a pattern

Dear all, I have a large file which is composed of 8000 frames, what i would like to do is split the file into 8000 single files names file.pdb.1, file.pdb.2 etc etc each frame in the large file is seperated by a "ENDMDL" flag so my thinking is to use this flag a a point to split the files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mish_99
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on size

Hi Friends, Below is my requirement. I have a file with the below structure. 0001A1.... 0001B1.. .... 0001L1 0002A1 0002B1 ...... 0002L1 .. the first 4 characters are the sequence numbers for a record, A record will start with A1 and end with L1 with same sequence number. Now the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diva_thilak
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on file size in Korn script

I need to split a file if it is over 2GB in size (or any size), preferably split on the lines. I have figured out how to get the file size using awk, and I can split the file based on the number of lines (which I got with wc -l) but I can't figure out how to connect them together in the script. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssemple2000
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the file based on pattern

Hi , I have huge files around 400 mb, which has clob data and have diffeent scenarios: I am trying to pass scenario number as parameter and and get required modified file based on the scenario number and criteria. Scenario 1: file name : scenario_1.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a huge 7 GB File Based on Pattern into 4 files

Hi, I have a Huge 7 GB file which has around 1 million records, i want to split this file into 4 files to contain around 250k messages each. Please help me as Split command cannot work here as it might miss tags.. Format of the file is as below <!--###### ###### START-->... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KishM
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a file based on pattern line number?

Hi i have requirement like below M <form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... D ..... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... D ..... D ...... D ..... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM D ...... M form_name> sdasadasdMklkM i want split file based on line number by finding... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar v
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split one file to many based on pattern

Hello All, I have records in a file in a pattern A,B,B,B,B,K,A,B,B,K Is there any command or simple logic I can pull out records into multiple files based on A record? I want output as File1: A,B,B,B,B,K File2: A,B,B,K (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal1dealer
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the File based on Size

I have a file that is about 7 GB in size. The requirement is I should split the file equally in such a way that the size of the split files is less than 2Gb. If the file is less than 2gb, than nothing needs to be done. ( need to done using shell script) Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File Size Split up based on Month

Hi, I have a directory in Unix and there are folders available in the directory. Files are created on different month and now i have a requirement to calculate size of the folder on month basis. Is there any Unix command to check this please?? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nivas
6 Replies
FBB::RandBuffer(3bobcat)				      random number streambuf					  FBB::RandBuffer(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::RandBuffer - std::streambuf generating random numbers SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/randbuffer> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
FBB:RandBuffer objects may be used as a std::streambuf of std::istream objects to allow the extraction of random numbers from the stream. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
std::streambuf CONSTRUCTOR
o Randbuffer(int min, int max, size_t seed = 1): This Randbuffer() constructor initializes the random generator. The seed is used to initialze the random number generator.Random values between min and max (inclusive) are returned. VIRTUAL MEMBERS
o int underflow(): This function is called by std::istream objects using Randbuffer. It produces the next available random number, separating the ran- dom numbers by one blanks space. Random values between min and max (inclusive) are returned (see the description of the construc- tor). INHERITED MEMBERS
Since the class uses public derivation from std::streambuf, all members of this class can be used. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <istream> #include <bobcat/randbuffer> #include <bobcat/a2x> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main(int argc, char **argv) { if (argc == 1) { cout << "expect: nruns min max seed "; return 1; } Randbuffer rb(A2x(argv[2]), A2x(argv[3]), A2x(argv[4]).to<size_t>()); istream istr(&rb); for (int idx = A2x(argv[1]); idx--; ) { int c; if (!(istr >> c)) { cout << "extraction failed "; break; } cout << "next: " << c << endl; } int count = 0; while (istr.unget()) count++; cout << "number of successful unget()-calls: " << count << endl; istr.clear(); istr >> count; cout << "and read: " << count << endl; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/randbuffer - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), irandstream(3bobcat), rand(3), srand(3), std::streambuf BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::RandBuffer(3bobcat)