Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rename a large number of files in subdirectories Post 302634387 by rbatte1 on Thursday 3rd of May 2012 09:12:15 AM
Old 05-03-2012
Thanks methyl, my mistake.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in subdirectories

Hello, I am new to unix and would like to have a count of all the files in the current directory as well as all the files in a subdirectory. The command I used was ls -R | wc -l but the number returned wasn't correct. Can someone please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbeverly
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving large number of files

I have a task to move more than 35000 files every two hours, from the same directory to another directory based on a file that has the list of filenames I tried the following logics (1) find . -name \*.dat > list for i in `cat list` do mv $i test/ done (2) cat list|xargs -i mv "{}"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to rename a number of files

Hi I need to rename about hundred of files which contain ".R " and the end, for example: /t1/data/f2993trn.ix7.R The new file should not have ".R" extension, ex: /t1/data/f2993trn.ix7.R Is there a command which I can put in the loop to do this? Thansk for any advice -A (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenation of a large number of files

Hellow i have a large number of files that i want to concatenate to one. these files start with the word 'VOICE_' for example VOICE_0000000000 VOICE_1223o23u0 VOICE_934934927349 I use the following code: cat /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/MEDIATION/VOICE_* >> /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/WORK/VOICE ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i find number of lines in files & subdirectories

how can i find number of lines in files & subdirectories ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete large number of files

Hi. I need to delete a large number of files listed in a txt file. There are over 90000 files in the list. Some of the directory names and some of the file names do have spaces in them. In the file, each line is a full path to a file: /path/to/the files/file1 /path/to/some other/files/file 2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inakajin
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running rename command on large files and make it faster

Hi All, I have some 80,000 files in a directory which I need to rename. Below is the command which I am currently running and it seems, it is taking fore ever to run this command. This command seems too slow. Is there any way to speed up the command. I have have GNU Parallel installed on my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for total number of files (and size) across subdirectories?

Hi all... I have a directory called dbrn. This directory contains an unknown number of subdirectories which in turn contain an unknown number of files. What I want to know is: How many files with extention .ABC can be found in /dbrn across all subdirecties, and what is the total size for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beun
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sftp large number of files

Want to sftp large number of files ... approx 150 files will come to server every minute. (AIX box) Also need make sure file has been sftped successfully... Please let me know : 1. What is the best / faster way to transfer files? 2. should I use batch option -b so that connectivity will be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX - command to count number of files in subdirectories

I have a folder named test/ and under that I have multiple directories and in each of the directory I have multiple log files. I want to know how many files exists under each sub directory. test |--quanrantine |--logfile1 |--logfile2 |--spooling |--logfile1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravikirankethe
4 Replies
uuaids(8c)																uuaids(8c)

Name
       uucompact, uumkspool, uurespool, uupoll - uucp utilities

Syntax
       uucompact -ssystem
       uumkspool system ...
       uurespool [ -t# ]
       uupoll system ...

Description
       All of the commands are located in

The  command  compacts  uucp  system spool directories and associated subdirectories. If system is ALL, then all existing uucp system spool
       directories are compacted.  Otherwise, only the specified system spool directory is compacted.  If no system is	specified,  is	compacted.
       If  is stopped before it is finished, it can be restarted without reprocessing directories.  The command continues processing where it left
       off during it's previous instantiation.

The command makes a per system spool directory and associated subdirectories for each of the specified systems.	For example, if system	is
       mk3 and if the local system name is penny, the following directories are created:
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/C.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/X.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
       The  command  moves files from old spool directories to	new spool directories.	Because the structure of the spool directories has changed
       from older versions of it is necessary to respool old spooled files to new spool directories in at least two instances:

o    When installing the current version of

o    When creating a new system spool directory for each system.

In the latter case, it is necessary to move files from to the new spool directories.  To ease this task, moves files that have been spooled
       in  one	of 4 formats and respools them under the new spooling structure.  The format is specified by the -t# option, where the number sign
       (#) can be any one of the following:

o   Original spool - All files are in

o   Split spool - Contains the subdirectories

o   Modified split spool -  Contains all subdirectories listed in split spool, and

o   Used when a new system directory has been created and spool files must be moved from the DEFAULT directory to the new system directory.

The command forces a connect attempt to the named systems even if recent attempts have failed, but not if the file prohibits the call.  For
       example, the file will prohibit the call if it is the wrong time of day.  Thus, the should be monitored for messages about the connection.

Files
       Spool directory

Logfile

See Also
       mail(1), uucp(1c), uux(1c)

uuaids(8c)