Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Converting rows to column
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting rows to column Post 302634343 by rbatte1 on Thursday 3rd of May 2012 08:27:29 AM
Old 05-03-2012
If you use an array, you might achieve what you need. You might need to use some indirect reference, but it would be important to know what your script is written in to advise on code.

Additionally, is your code always comma separated and would a comma ever appear as a value? Is the data set large? If so, then probably an awk rather than shell script would be better.

I hope that someone here can help. I have a few ideas, but before knowing the above, i don't want to leap into it.

Robin
liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Last edited by rbatte1; 05-03-2012 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Spelling

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Column to Rows in a Flat file

Hi, Request To guide me in writing a shell program for the following requirement: Example:if the Input File contains the follwing data Input File Data: 80723240029,12,323,443,88,98,7,98,67,87 80723240030,12,56,6,,,3,12,56,6,7,2,3,12,56,6,7,2,3,88,98,7,98,67,87... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinikal
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

i have single column which is starting with same string(many number of rows) i have to convert each into a single row.how can i do that? laknar std mes 23 55 laknar isd phone no address amount 99 I have to convert above like below. laknar|std|mes|23|55 laknar|isd|phone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting rows into multiple-rows

Hi every one; I have a file with 22 rows and 13 columns which includes floating numbers. I want to parse the file so that every five columns in the row would be a new record (row). For example, the first line in the old file should be converted into three lines with first two lines contain 5... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PHL
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting columns into rows

Is there anyway to convert columns into raws using awk? (or any other command line):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting rows into columns

Hi, I am trying to fetch some values from db and spooling the output to a file. when i query the db for the values, i get the values in following format. PC_1 wf_test1 Test PC_2 wf_test2 Test PC_3 wf_test3 Test But my spool file was created in following format. PC_1 wf_test1 Test... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting entries from rows to column

Hi all, I need your help on a multiple row entry into different columns. And do the same with all the entries in file. File example (showing 2 entries only, there are many like these): >ABC * AGA-AUUCUC-CGGUUCAAUCU ||| UCUAUAACCGCGCCGAGUUAGU >ABC * AGAUAU-GCUGCAGGCUCAAUUG ||||||... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulkakrana
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting column to rows for every 3 lines in the column

Hi gurus! Please help me with this one. I have an file with the following contents: a b c d e f g h i j I would like to make to transform it to look like this as my output file: a,b,c d,e,f (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging rows into new file based on rows and first column

I have 2 files, file01= 7 columns, row unknown (but few) file02= 7 columns, row unknown (but many) now I want to create an output with the first field that is shared in both of them and then subtract the results from the rest of the fields and print there e.g. file 01 James|0|50|25|10|50|30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A-V
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column

Dear fellows, I need your help. I'm trying to write a script to convert a single column into multiple rows. But it need to recognize the beginning of the string and set it to its specific Column number. Each Line (loop) begins with digit (RANGE). At this moment it's kind of working, but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

Hi .. anyone can you help me ? i need to convert text below into multiple columns interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0 description; TRUNK_PE-D2-JT2-VPN_Gi0/0/0/0_TO_ME4-A-JKT-JT_4/1/1_1G mtu 9212 negotiation auto interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0.11 description; tes encapsulation;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad3linux
1 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)