Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bad user root in crontab
Operating Systems Solaris Bad user root in crontab Post 302634193 by ijustneeda on Thursday 3rd of May 2012 02:57:04 AM
Old 05-03-2012
Operation system solaris(sunOS 5.10 Generic) And in cron log there is error (bad user root) only for root.

1. with ls -la /var/spool/cron/crontabs
Code:
root  sys         adm
root  root          lp
root  root          root
root   root       root.au
root   sys            sys
root   sys           uucp

comes.

2.there is no return for pwck and grpck commands

(I think it means passwords are ok or there is no inconsistencies.)

3. YES the root is the first line in passwd and shadow files
and
they are like below

Code:
passwd        root:x:::Super-user:/:/user/bin/bash

Code:
shadow        root:$md5$11111122223333444/:15443::::::

And "cronlog=YES" in /etc/default/cron

Thanks for help...

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-03-2012 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give non root user sudo to "crontab -l"

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to give some users access to root's crontab but only with a read privilege. Is this possible to do or can only root or people with full root sudo view root's cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab : bad minute error

when i say $crontab z it says ==> "z":6: bad minute "z":6: bad minute errors in crontab file, can't install. any clue why its happening? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
1 Replies

3. AIX

Crontab cannot run by non-root user

Good morning everybody. I have just receiedv a complaint from our DBA saying that if he create a scripts to run some Oracle performance scripts using crontab and the scheduling part is ok but the job is failed when I checked on /var/adm/cron/log. I have tried his scripts using Oracle id directly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If user has own crontab, results in accumulation of root CRON processes

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with accumulation of root CRON jobs occuring when I have a user's cron job(s) running. Here is an example of a user's crontab file: */1 * * * * echo "hello" > /dev/nullps aux|grep CRON root 14333 0.0 0.0 91236 2172 ? S ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot run crontab :1: bad minute error

Hi can any one help me out. while running crontab , m getting error bad minute time.. how to resolve this error. i created 1 txt file a.cron mirrordir -vm \home\t \homet1 & i saved it. then i created a crontab file ..with crontab -e & i added a line in it. * 1 * * * \root\a.cron & i save... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unxdost114
2 Replies

6. Solaris

"! bad user (root)" in cron log

I am getting the following error in the cron log: ! bad user (root) Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 < root 8989 c Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 rc=1 What does this mean? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing crontab of non-root user from file

Hi All, Ref: "build crontab from a text file" in same forum. (I am not allowed to post URL's in the first post) We are reorganizing our UNIX Crontab file by first making changes in a word pad text file. The intent is to then copy it back to Crontab. Will this work? Copy and Paste does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivedhitha
6 Replies

8. Hardware

What are the possible action regarding having bad sector in my ext4 root partition?

Hi, I would like to ask about actions taken if any regarding having a few bad sector (67 bad sector according to DISK UTILITY) on my root ext partition except from buying a new HD and cloning it since my laptop is a 1 year old. Question: About clonzilla before this bad sector happens i used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab error - bad hour

Hi All, While setting the crontab i am getting the below error, "/tmp/crontab.XXXXwKymEc" 156L, 15621C written crontab: installing new crontab "/tmp/crontab.XXXXwKymEc":74: bad hour Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
2 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						      General Commands Manual							CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [ -u user ] file crontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
Crontab is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the allow file does not exist but the deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(8) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 29 December 1993 CRONTAB(1)