Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with datafile parsing and creating spreadsheet Post 302634143 by inditopgun on Thursday 3rd of May 2012 01:48:36 AM
Old 05-03-2012
simply awesome!! you-da-man! works like a charm.

Many thanks for your time and help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace one section in a datafile

Hi: First, this is not a homework problem. I just need enough of a hint to get this going... My datafile (dataf.in) is made up of 10 sections. Each section begins with & and with && So it looks like this:------------------------------------- &section1 ...etc... && &section2 ...etc...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paprika
4 Replies

2. Solaris

oracle datafile *dbf

Hi ,,,, I have move an oracle db from old server to a new server ( solaris 5.9 is the operating system ) my problem is that to new server the datafile ( *.dbf ) are in a different path ..... example old : /export/home/data/blobs ........... new /oracle/data/blobs....... how i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

selective positions from a datafile

Hi dear friends, Im writing a shell script which has to select the strings based on the position. but the problem is there is no field seperator. Normally a datafile contains 2000 records (lines) and each line is of size 500 charecters. I want to select the fields from all the lines which... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append filename to datafile

I am working on an shell script which checks for all the file starting with abc*.* and if file found then the filelines need to append the file name in begining can some one help with the filename appending... for i in `ls $filename*.csv` do echo $i --- NEED to append file name befor... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyagiri
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine a datafile with Master datafile, emergent!

Hi guys, my supervisor has asked me to solve the problem in 7 days, I've taken 3 days to think about it but couldn't figure out any idea. Please give me some thoughts with the following problem, I have index.database that has only index date: 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do we know which processis creating a datafile

Hi, Is there any way we can find out which process is creating a partucular datafile.I know the user and group but i am just curios to know is there any way to find the process. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting the datafile in an order given in second datafile

Hi, I have two files: first input file is having 7-8 columns, and second data file is like I want to arrange my datafile1 in the order given in second data file, by comparing the seconddatafile with the second column of first file and print the entire line....also if any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing with Name value pair and creating a normalized file

I have url string as follows and I need to parse the name value pair into fields /rows event_id date time payload 1329130951 20120214 22.30.40... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating a datafile with the datatypes

I have two input files 1)datafile 2)metadata file. I have a metadata file like: field1datatypeformat1number2string3dateyy-mm-dd I have a data file like: 1234abc12-8-16 xyz234512-9-163456acd14-08-12 In the first row there is no correction as everything is inline with the metadata.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikky6
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a log file and creating a report script

The log file is huge and lot of information, i would like to parse and make a report . below is the log file looks like: REPORT DATE: Mon Aug 10 04:16:17 CDT 2017 SYSTEN VER: v1.3.0.9 TERMINAL TYPE: prod SYSTEM: nb11cu51 UPTIME: 04:16AM up 182 days 57 mins min MODEL, TYPE, and SN:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
8 Replies
SU(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     SU(1)

NAME
su -- substitute user identity SYNOPSIS
su [-] [-c class] [-flms] [login [args]] DESCRIPTION
The su utility requests appropriate user credentials via PAM and switches to that user ID (the default user is the superuser). A shell is then executed. PAM is used to set the policy su(1) will use. In particular, by default only users in the ``wheel'' group can switch to UID 0 (``root''). This group requirement may be changed by modifying the ``pam_group'' section of /etc/pam.d/su. See pam_group(8) for details on how to modify this setting. By default, the environment is unmodified with the exception of USER, HOME, and SHELL. HOME and SHELL are set to the target login's default values. USER is set to the target login, unless the target login has a user ID of 0, in which case it is unmodified. The invoked shell is the one belonging to the target login. This is the traditional behavior of su. Resource limits and session priority applicable to the orig- inal user's login class (see login.conf(5)) are also normally retained unless the target login has a user ID of 0. The options are as follows: -c class Use the settings of the specified login class. The login class must be defined in login.conf(5). Only allowed for the super-user. -f If the invoked shell is csh(1), this option prevents it from reading the ``.cshrc'' file. -l Simulate a full login. The environment is discarded except for HOME, SHELL, PATH, TERM, and USER. HOME and SHELL are modified as above. USER is set to the target login. PATH is set to ``/bin:/usr/bin''. TERM is imported from your current environment. Envi- ronment variables may be set or overridden from the login class capabilities database according to the class of the target login. The invoked shell is the target login's, and su will change directory to the target login's home directory. Resource limits and ses- sion priority are modified to that for the target account's login class. - (no letter) The same as -l. -m Leave the environment unmodified. The invoked shell is your login shell, and no directory changes are made. As a security precau- tion, if the target user's shell is a non-standard shell (as defined by getusershell(3)) and the caller's real uid is non-zero, su will fail. -s Set the MAC label to the user's default label as part of the user credential setup. Setting the MAC label may fail if the MAC label of the invoking process is not sufficient to transition to the user's default MAC label. If the label cannot be set, su will fail. The -l (or -) and -m options are mutually exclusive; the last one specified overrides any previous ones. If the optional args are provided on the command line, they are passed to the login shell of the target login. Note that all command line arguments before the target login name are processed by su itself, everything after the target login name gets passed to the login shell. By default (unless the prompt is reset by a startup file) the super-user prompt is set to ``#'' to remind one of its awesome power. ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables used by su: HOME Default home directory of real user ID unless modified as specified above. PATH Default search path of real user ID unless modified as specified above. TERM Provides terminal type which may be retained for the substituted user ID. USER The user ID is always the effective ID (the target user ID) after an su unless the user ID is 0 (root). FILES
/etc/pam.d/su PAM configuration for su. EXAMPLES
su -m man -c catman Starts a shell as user man, and runs the command catman. You will be asked for man's password unless your real UID is 0. Note that the -m option is required since user ``man'' does not have a valid shell by default. In this example, -c is passed to the shell of the user ``man'', and is not interpreted as an argument to su. su -m man -c 'catman /usr/share/man /usr/local/man' Same as above, but the target command consists of more than a single word and hence is quoted for use with the -c option being passed to the shell. (Most shells expect the argument to -c to be a single word). su -m -c staff man -c 'catman /usr/share/man /usr/local/man' Same as above, but the target command is run with the resource limits of the login class ``staff''. Note: in this example, the first -c option applies to su while the second is an argument to the shell being invoked. su -l foo Simulate a login for user foo. su - foo Same as above. su - Simulate a login for root. SEE ALSO
csh(1), sh(1), group(5), login.conf(5), passwd(5), environ(7), pam_group(8) HISTORY
A su command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
August 11, 2013 BSD