Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping Post 302633913 by Corona688 on Wednesday 2nd of May 2012 04:09:38 PM
Old 05-02-2012
If it's really that simple, you could just use tr and stop worrying about regex special characters, since tr doesn't have regular expressions at all, just ranges and a few character classes.

The odd '"'"' bits are to get single-quote characters inside a string that's otherwise single-quotes, since you can't escape anything in single-quotes. The colors show what's actually happening -- the single quotes end, double quotes containing a single quote begin, then it goes back to single quotes.

Code:
$ echo 'Hello ,.@/#:()'"'"'*%$+?_="!; Goodbye' | tr '[,.@/#:()'"'"'*%$+?_="!;]' '_'

Hello ___________________ Goodbye

$ echo 'Hello ,.@/#:()'"'"'*%$+?_="!; Goodbye' | tr -s '[,.@/#:()'"'"'*%$+?_="!;]' '_'

Hello _ Goodbye

$

You'd need a double-backslash \\ inside that range to get a backslash, and would need to escape [ ] - characters inside the range, but that's pretty much it for specials.

Last edited by Corona688; 05-02-2012 at 05:17 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace control characters using sed?

How can I use sed to replace a ctrl character such as 'new line' (\0a) to something else? Or any other good command can do this job? Thanks, Hillxy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hillxy
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing specific characters in a string

Hi Friends, Following is an output of a script OPWQERIUTYKLSADFJHGXZNMCVBWQOPERIUTYKLSADFJHGXZNMCVB I want to replace above string's 11 to 17 character by ******* (7 stars) How can it be done? Please somebody guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special characters

I want to append the following line to /var/spool/cron/root: */7 * * * * /root/'Linux CPU (EDF).sh' > /dev/null 2>&1 How to accomplish this using echo? ---------- Post updated at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:07 PM ---------- "Linux CPU (EDF)" is actually stored in a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping non-readable characters using grep, sed or awk

I'm trying to parse out DNS logs from dozens of different domain controllers over a large period of time. The logs are rolled up into individual text files by size, which may contain only a portion of a day's activity or several day's worth (depending on amount of activity). I'm splitting them by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanwpaul
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed replacing in vi, / characters in the middle

I tried to replace the following in vi: old: 'e/thesis/pp/zones/zones' new: 'd/so162/fix/pp' For that, I used: :%s/e/thesis/pp/zones/zones/d/so162/fix/pp/g but doesn't work, a trailing character error message appeared. How can I get it? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - merge lines bw 2 specific characters

Hi, I have a bash script and I am looking for a command that will merge specific lines together. Sample Data: registration time = 1300890272 Id = 1 setd = 0 tagunt = 26 tagId=6, length=8, value= tagId=9, length=5, value= tagId=7, length=2, value= tagId=16, length=2, value= tagId=32,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Winsarc
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How delete characters of specific line with sed?

Hi, I have a text file with some lines like this: /MEDIA/DISK1/23568742.MOV /MEDIA/DISK1/87456321.AVI /MEDIA/DISK2/PART1/45753131.AVI /IMPORT/44452.WAV ... I want to remove the last 12 characters in each line that it ends "AVI". Should look like this: /MEDIA/DISK1/23568742.MOV... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: inaki
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing specific characters using sed

Hi, I have a text file which is output from a server and it lists all the files in a specific volume. However, the volume name appears as volume_name:. I would like to replace this with \\volume_name\volume_name. This is not a problem in itself as I can use sed to globally look for the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
8 Replies

10. HP-UX

Replacing control characters in HPUX

Hello dears, Please tell me how can I replace control characters with normal string. I have a file that contains normal string and ^A ^C control characters. I tried to use sed and awk without any luck. sed 's/^A/foo/g' text > text1 //not worked sed 's/\x01/foo/g' text > text1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
6 Replies
secolor.conf(5) 						File Formats Manual						   secolor.conf(5)

NAME
secolor.conf - The SELinux color configuration file DESCRIPTION
This optional file controls the color to be associated to the context components associated to the raw context passed by selinux_raw_con- text_to_color(3), when context related information is to be displayed in color by an SELinux-aware application. selinux_raw_context_to_color(3) obtains this color information from the active policy secolor.conf file as returned by selinux_col- ors_path(3). FILE FORMAT
The file format is as follows: color color_name = #color_mask [...] context_component string = fg_color_name bg_color_name [...] Where: color The color keyword. Each color entry is on a new line. color_name A single word name for the color (e.g. red). color_mask A color mask starting with a hash (#) that describes the hexadecimal RGB colors with black being #000000 and white being #ffffff. context_component The context component name that must be one of the following: user, role, type or range Each context_component string ... entry is on a new line. string This is the context_component string that will be matched with the raw context component passed by selinux_raw_context_to_color(3). A wildcard '*' may be used to match any undefined string for the user, role and type context_component entries only. fg_color_name The color_name string that will be used as the foreground color. A color_mask may also be used. bg_color_name The color_name string that will be used as the background color. A color_mask may also be used. EXAMPLES
Example 1 entries are: color black = #000000 color green = #008000 color yellow = #ffff00 color blue = #0000ff color white = #ffffff color red = #ff0000 color orange = #ffa500 color tan = #D2B48C user * = black white role * = white black type * = tan orange range s0-s0:c0.c1023 = black green range s1-s1:c0.c1023 = white green range s3-s3:c0.c1023 = black tan range s5-s5:c0.c1023 = white blue range s7-s7:c0.c1023 = black red range s9-s9:c0.c1023 = black orange range s15:c0.c1023 = black yellow Example 2 entries are: color black = #000000 color green = #008000 color yellow = #ffff00 color blue = #0000ff color white = #ffffff color red = #ff0000 color orange = #ffa500 color tan = #d2b48c user unconfined_u = #ff0000 green role unconfined_r = red #ffffff type unconfined_t = red orange user user_u = black green role user_r = white black type user_t = tan red user xguest_u = black yellow role xguest_r = black red type xguest_t = black green user sysadm_u = white black range s0:c0.c1023 = black white user * = black white role * = black white type * = black white SEE ALSO
selinux(8), selinux_raw_context_to_color(3), selinux_colors_path(3) SELinux API documentation 08 April 2011 secolor.conf(5)