Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping Post 302633913 by Corona688 on Wednesday 2nd of May 2012 04:09:38 PM
Old 05-02-2012
If it's really that simple, you could just use tr and stop worrying about regex special characters, since tr doesn't have regular expressions at all, just ranges and a few character classes.

The odd '"'"' bits are to get single-quote characters inside a string that's otherwise single-quotes, since you can't escape anything in single-quotes. The colors show what's actually happening -- the single quotes end, double quotes containing a single quote begin, then it goes back to single quotes.

Code:
$ echo 'Hello ,.@/#:()'"'"'*%$+?_="!; Goodbye' | tr '[,.@/#:()'"'"'*%$+?_="!;]' '_'

Hello ___________________ Goodbye

$ echo 'Hello ,.@/#:()'"'"'*%$+?_="!; Goodbye' | tr -s '[,.@/#:()'"'"'*%$+?_="!;]' '_'

Hello _ Goodbye

$

You'd need a double-backslash \\ inside that range to get a backslash, and would need to escape [ ] - characters inside the range, but that's pretty much it for specials.

Last edited by Corona688; 05-02-2012 at 05:17 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace control characters using sed?

How can I use sed to replace a ctrl character such as 'new line' (\0a) to something else? Or any other good command can do this job? Thanks, Hillxy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hillxy
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing specific characters in a string

Hi Friends, Following is an output of a script OPWQERIUTYKLSADFJHGXZNMCVBWQOPERIUTYKLSADFJHGXZNMCVB I want to replace above string's 11 to 17 character by ******* (7 stars) How can it be done? Please somebody guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special characters

I want to append the following line to /var/spool/cron/root: */7 * * * * /root/'Linux CPU (EDF).sh' > /dev/null 2>&1 How to accomplish this using echo? ---------- Post updated at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:07 PM ---------- "Linux CPU (EDF)" is actually stored in a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping non-readable characters using grep, sed or awk

I'm trying to parse out DNS logs from dozens of different domain controllers over a large period of time. The logs are rolled up into individual text files by size, which may contain only a portion of a day's activity or several day's worth (depending on amount of activity). I'm splitting them by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanwpaul
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed replacing in vi, / characters in the middle

I tried to replace the following in vi: old: 'e/thesis/pp/zones/zones' new: 'd/so162/fix/pp' For that, I used: :%s/e/thesis/pp/zones/zones/d/so162/fix/pp/g but doesn't work, a trailing character error message appeared. How can I get it? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - merge lines bw 2 specific characters

Hi, I have a bash script and I am looking for a command that will merge specific lines together. Sample Data: registration time = 1300890272 Id = 1 setd = 0 tagunt = 26 tagId=6, length=8, value= tagId=9, length=5, value= tagId=7, length=2, value= tagId=16, length=2, value= tagId=32,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Winsarc
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How delete characters of specific line with sed?

Hi, I have a text file with some lines like this: /MEDIA/DISK1/23568742.MOV /MEDIA/DISK1/87456321.AVI /MEDIA/DISK2/PART1/45753131.AVI /IMPORT/44452.WAV ... I want to remove the last 12 characters in each line that it ends "AVI". Should look like this: /MEDIA/DISK1/23568742.MOV... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: inaki
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing specific characters using sed

Hi, I have a text file which is output from a server and it lists all the files in a specific volume. However, the volume name appears as volume_name:. I would like to replace this with \\volume_name\volume_name. This is not a problem in itself as I can use sed to globally look for the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
8 Replies

10. HP-UX

Replacing control characters in HPUX

Hello dears, Please tell me how can I replace control characters with normal string. I have a file that contains normal string and ^A ^C control characters. I tried to use sed and awk without any luck. sed 's/^A/foo/g' text > text1 //not worked sed 's/\x01/foo/g' text > text1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
6 Replies
diffmk(1)							   User Commands							 diffmk(1)

NAME
diffmk - mark differences between versions of a troff input file SYNOPSIS
diffmk oldfile newfile markedfile DESCRIPTION
diffmk compares two versions of a file and creates a third version that includes "change mark" (.mc) commands for nroff(1) and troff(1). oldfile and newfile are the old and new versions of the file. diffmk generates markedfile, which, contains the text from newfile with troff(1) "change mark" requests (.mc) inserted where newfile differs from oldfile. When markedfile is formatted, changed or inserted text is shown by | at the right margin of each line. The position of deleted text is shown by a single *. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of diffmk when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: An example of the diffmk command. diffmk can also be used in conjunction with the proper troff requests to produce program listings with marked changes. In the following command line: example% diffmk old.c new.c marked.c ; nroff reqs marked.c | pr the file reqs contains the following troff requests: .pl 1 .ll 77 .nf .eo .nh which eliminate page breaks, adjust the line length, set no-fill mode, ignore escape characters, and turn off hyphenation, respectively. If the characters | and * are inappropriate, you might run markedfile through sed(1) to globally change them. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), nroff(1), sed(1), troff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) BUGS
Aesthetic considerations may dictate manual adjustment of some output. File differences involving only formatting requests may produce undesirable output, that is, replacing .sp by .sp 2 will produce a "change mark" on the preceding or following line of output. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 diffmk(1)