Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Getting Rows from a MySQL Table with max values? Post 302633841 by Corona688 on Wednesday 2nd of May 2012 02:03:10 PM
Old 05-02-2012
I'm not saying a full table-scan will happen as much as, the result of an indexed query can't be different than what a table scan could do. (Except in order, which isn't guaranteed anyway, ORDER BY sorts after the fact.) Therefore, it won't use information from the index to know the maximum in advance. Your second query, where you just 'select max(..) from ...' would be able to use the index.

I'm not sure index is required either, as much as the performance could be quite poor if it isn't.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

max values amd min values

Hello every one, I have following data ***CAMPAIGN 1998 CONTRIBUTIONS*** --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NAME PHONE Jan | Feb | Mar | Total Donated ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: devmiral
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

select values from db1 table and insert into table of DB2

Hi I am having three oracle databases running in three different machine. their ip address is different. from one of the DB am able to access both the databases.(means am able to select values and insert values in to tables individually.) I need to fetch some data from DB1 table(say DB1 ip is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select record with MAX value in MySQL

Hi there, I have trouble selecting record that contain one biggest value for a group of other values. I mean, this is my table: mysql> SELECT * FROM b; +----+------+-------+ | id | user | value | +----+------+-------+ | 1 | 1 | 100 | | 3 | 1 | 150 | | 5 | 1 | 300 | | 6... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get max value every 4 rows between 2 column

Hi all I have a file that has two columns and I need the maximum value in column 2 of 4 positions o rows. for example at position {1..3} there are 4 characters (A, C, G and T) each of these characters with a value with a value in column 2. I need the maximum value in column 2 and the corresponding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xinox
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query the table and return values to shell script and search result values from another files.

Hi, I need a shell script, which would search the result values from another files. 1)execute " select column1 from table_name" query on the table. 2)Based on the result, need to be grep from .wft files. could please explain about this.Below is the way i am using. #!/bin/sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rami Reddy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve multiple rows from mysql and automatically create a table

Hi, i want to create a table automatically based on another table (sms_key). For example; If user create a new row with sms_keyword field: IRC then a table created automatically (with some field on it, like: name, ph_number, messages). select * from sms_key; +-------------+ |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jazzyzha
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Median and max of duplicate rows

Hi all, plz help me with this, I want to to extract the duplicate rows (column 1) in a file which at least repeat 4 times. then I want to summarize them by getting the max , mean, median and min. The file is sorted by column 1, all the repeated rows appear together. If number of elements is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file to read values from Db2 table replacing hard coded values

Hi, I want to replace a chain of if-else statement in an old AWK file with values from Db2 table or CSV file. The part of code is below... if (start_new_rec=="true"){ exclude_user="false"; user=toupper($6); match(user, "XXXXX."); if (RSTART ==2 ) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
9 Replies

10. Programming

Php number array from max, min, step size mysql data

I want to create a form with data values in a dropdown list. The values in the dropdown list need to be generated on the fly from max, min and increment values contained in a mysql database. Hopefully this makes sense, I really have no idea where to start :confused: Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
6 Replies
FC-QUERY(1)                                                                                                                            FC-QUERY(1)

NAME
fc-query - query font files SYNOPSIS
fc-query [ -Vh ] [ -i index | --index index ] [ -f format | --format format ] [ --version ] [ --help ] font-file ... DESCRIPTION
fc-query queries font-file(s) using the normal fontconfig rules and prints out font pattern for each face found. If --index is given, only one face of each file is queried, otherwise all faces are queried. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -i --index index Only query face indexed index of each file. -f --format format Format output according to the format specifier format. -V --version Show version of the program and exit. -h --help Show summary of options. font-file Query font-file for font faces. RETURN CODES
fc-query returns error code 0 for successful parsing, or 1 if any errors occured or if at least one font face could not be opened. SEE ALSO
fc-scan(1) FcFreeTypeQuery(3) FcPatternFormat(3) fc-cat(1) fc-cache(1) fc-list(1) fc-match(1) fc-pattern(1) The fontconfig user's guide, in HTML format: /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html. AUTHOR
This manual page was updated by Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>. 16 April 2012 FC-QUERY(1)