Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Variable in Curly Brackets Returns Empty Value Post 302633579 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 2nd of May 2012 08:01:44 AM
Old 05-02-2012
In the log file there is only one space between May and 2. You can try: date '+%b%e, %Y' but I don't know if that would work for double digit days of the month..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Brackets, parentheses in Shell Scripting

Hello, I have done a great deal of research on this and still cannot come to an understanding of the following: In if-else statements in shell scripting I have seen examples of single brackets, double brackets, single parantheses, and double paratheses. When should each one be used? And... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print last line returns empty string

hello I have a file with lines of info separated with "|" I want to amend the second field of the last line, using AWK my problem is with geting awk to return the last line this is what I am using awk 'END{ print $0 }' myFile but I get an empty result I tried the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TasosARISFC
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep returns many values into a variable error

I get an error when I grep my results into a variable when the grep finds more than one file. FND="$(find ediout* -mmin -60)" if ; then STR="$(find ediout* -mmin -60 -exec grep -l "ERRORS Encountered" {} +)" fi When there is only one ediout file it works fine. How do I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aispg8
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus returns leading carriage return into a variable

I am trying to generate some scripts to help manage an Oracle database. When I check the value returned from Oracle it has a leading carriage return in the variable. Is there a way to prevent this? Is there a way to easily strip out the carriage return. See code and output below. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panzer993
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python call to bash script returns empty string

Hi all, I need help figuring out why my script won't work when envoked from web interface. First off, I'm fairly new to Linux and Shell scripting so, my apologies for being ignorant! So I have a python script that I envoke through a web interface. This script envokes my shell script and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arod291
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

set variable with square brackets in c shell!

Hi Guys, I want to set a variable which happend to have square brackets in them. I tried multiple ways that is by escaping it with quotes (both single and double ) but it didn't help. All I want is: set x = slicearray.slice\.post My failed attempts were: set x = "slicearray.slice\.post"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function returns a value but cannot be stored in other variable

I need help to store the value returned from the function to one variable and then use that variable. PREVIOUS_DATE_FUNCTION() { date '+%m %d %Y' | { read MONTH DAY YEAR DAY=`expr "$DAY" - 1` case "$DAY" in 0) MONTH=`expr "$MONTH" - 1` case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for variable in brackets

I have a script which reads a number out of a log file. The pertinent line is this: cat /tmp/listofnumbers When I run cat /tmp/listofnumbers what I am seeing is on each line. I am trying to make the script read from that file and grep for a variable like the following line should do: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curly brackets converted to unicode in script

Is this a bash or wget issue? GNU bash, version 4.4.0(1)-release (x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu) GNU Wget 1.18 built on linux-gnu. If I run wget -O file localhost/{2..4} from the command line, it will download pages 2 to 4 and concatenate them to file - which is what I want. If I put this in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ray-V
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the text between all curly brackets from text file?

Hello experts, I have a text file with lot of curly brackets (both opening { & closing } ). I need to delete them alongwith the text between opening & closing brackets' pair. For ex: Input:- 59. Rh1 Qe4 {(Qf5-e4 Qd8-g8+ Kg6-f5 Qg8-h7+ Kf5-e5 Qh7-e7+ Ke5-f5 Qe7-d7+ Qe4-e6 Qd7-h7+ Qe6-g6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
CHEWMAIL(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       CHEWMAIL(1)

NAME
chewmail - mail archiver SYNOPSIS
chewmail [OPTIONS] <MAILBOX> ... DESCRIPTION
chewmail is a program for archiving mail. It is inspired by the by the Python-based archivemail, but with more useful semantics. All mail is archived to the mailbox specified with the --output-box switch, in mbox format. It can read mailboxes in mbox, Maildir and MH formats. Internally, chewmail uses Mail::Box, so it support file names and URLs supported by that module. OPTIONS
-o mailbox-format, --output-box=mailbox-format The mailbox to archive messages to. The mailbox is run through the Date::Format module, so it supports all it's conversion specifiers. The date and time is relative to the messages timestamp, or the current time if the timestamp is impossible to determine. A sample of the conversion specifiers follows: %% PERCENT %b month abbr %B month %d numeric day of the month, with leading zeros (eg 01..31) %e numeric day of the month, without leading zeros (eg 1..31) %D MM/DD/YY %G GPS week number (weeks since January 6, 1980) %h month abbr %H hour, 24 hour clock, leading 0's) %I hour, 12 hour clock, leading 0's) %j day of the year %k hour %l hour, 12 hour clock %L month number, starting with 1 %m month number, starting with 01 %n NEWLINE %o ornate day of month -- "1st", "2nd", "25th", etc. %t TAB %U week number, Sunday as first day of week %w day of the week, numerically, Sunday == 0 %W week number, Monday as first day of week %x date format: 11/19/94 %y year (2 digits) %Y year (4 digits) -d days-old, --days=days-old Only archive messages older than than this many days. -D date, --date=date Only archive messages old than this date. The date can be any date understood by Perl's Date::Parse module. -R, --only-read Only archive messages that are marked seen or read. --delete-immediately Synchonize the mailboxes after every message is moved. This will be substantially slower but may provide better recovery for some mail- box formats in the event of a crash. --preserve-timestamp Preserve the atime and mtime of the input mailbox. This only affects file-based mailboxes, such as mbox. -n, --dry-run Go through all the motions of archiving the mail, but don't actually change any mailboxes. -v, --verbose Output more informational messages. Use multiple times for more verbosity. -q, --quiet Don't output any messages other than error messages. -V, --version Print the version number then exit. -h, --help Print usage information then exit. EXAMPLES
Archive two day old messages in inbox to inbox-old: chewmail --days 2 -o inbox-old inbox Archive read messages to a mailbox named the year-month of the message: chewmail --only-read -o %Y-%m inbox SEE ALSO
archivemail(1), Date::Parse, Date::Format, Mail::Box AUTHOR
Eric Dorland <eric@kuroneko.ca> perl v5.8.8 2006-08-15 CHEWMAIL(1)