Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strange user in Terminal
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Strange user in Terminal Post 302633079 by DukeNuke2 on Tuesday 1st of May 2012 09:33:21 AM
Old 05-01-2012
by typing it in the terminal...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

A strange user appears in my quotas and I can't find it in my system

Hello, I am running a Solaris 8 system. I Have encountered that each time I ask the system to report to me the users who have or are about to exceed their quota limit for disk usage, a strange number appears in a user name, it does not appear in my /etc/group or in my /etc/passwd files The user... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: lzcool
13 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

strange behavior of PSQL user defined function

Segregated the problematic portion, and showing for your view here., 1. Following is the function definition, create or replace function new_del(id integer) returns void as $$ begin raise info 'dollar :%',$1; delete from testing where id=$1; end ; $$ language 'plpgsql'; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thegeek
1 Replies

3. AIX

User cant log in (close terminal)

Hello everyone I have a user on my server, Aix 5.3 TL9 sp4. Weeks ago I dont have a problem but today the user cannot log in. let me explain. Me with root user I can change his password. then I log in with the user and I can change the password and the terminal close. Im using ssh. But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

adding new user/account in terminal

Can anyone tell me what the command(s) are for adding a new account through the terminal application in OS X? I've been looking around the man pages but can't find anything. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange terminal behaviour after killing ssh

Hi, We have a problem where occasionally an ssh will hang for no apparent reason preventing the rest of the script continuing. To deal with this I am trying to write a wrapper script to kill a hung ssh command after a specified period. The scripts use a sleep command running in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange behaviour when output to terminal vs file (awk)

Hi all ! I noticed something very weird. I have a large pipe delimited file (20 fields/3,000 records) that looks like that: AAA|BBB|11111|22222|...|($NF of record 1) CCC|DDD|33333|44444|...|($NF of record 2) CCC|DDD|55555|66666|...|($NF of record 3) For the lines with same 1st and 2nd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
3 Replies

7. Solaris

[Resolved] Strange Issue with user logins

Ok got a strange one here. None of my user accounts are able to login into the system. When trying to ssh to the server i get the following. Could not chdir to home directory /home/<homedir>: Permission denied /bin/sh: Permission denied I checked the permissions on the home directory and even... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeDirte
7 Replies

8. Solaris

User account get locked due to strange behaviours

I am facing strange problem where after three failed login attempt user password must be locked. Actually what is happening, when I take the putty session of the server & enter user name on the prompt at the login prompt & then press enter to enter the password at this time when I checked the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switch user terminal error

Hello All, Here I am trying to login a Linux machine as admin user from a Solaris box.. & then switch to root user.. Code I use: ssh admin@<IP> << END su - root << A echo "Hello I am logged in as root" exit A exit END But the error I get.. su: must be run from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
3 Replies
PTY(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    PTY(4)

NAME
pty -- pseudo terminal driver SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device pty [count] DESCRIPTION
The pty driver provides support for a device-pair termed a pseudo terminal. A pseudo terminal is a pair of character devices, a master device and a slave device. The slave device provides to a process an interface identical to that described in tty(4). However, whereas all other devices which provide the interface described in tty(4) have a hardware device of some sort behind them, the slave device has, instead, another process manipulating it through the master half of the pseudo terminal. That is, anything written on the master device is given to the slave device as input and anything written on the slave device is presented as input on the master device. In configuring, if an optional count is given in the specification, that number of pseudo terminal pairs are configured; the default count is 32. The following ioctl(2) calls apply only to pseudo terminals: TIOCSTOP Stops output to a terminal (e.g. like typing '^S'). Takes no parameter. TIOCSTART Restarts output (stopped by TIOCSTOP or by typing '^S'). Takes no parameter. TIOCPKT Enable/disable packet mode. Packet mode is enabled by specifying (by reference) a nonzero parameter and disabled by specifying (by reference) a zero parameter. When applied to the master side of a pseudo terminal, each subsequent read(2) from the terminal will return data written on the slave part of the pseudo terminal preceded by a zero byte (symbolically defined as TIOCPKT_DATA), or a single byte reflecting control status information. In the latter case, the byte is an inclusive-or of zero or more of the bits: TIOCPKT_FLUSHREAD whenever the read queue for the terminal is flushed. TIOCPKT_FLUSHWRITE whenever the write queue for the terminal is flushed. TIOCPKT_STOP whenever output to the terminal is stopped a la '^S'. TIOCPKT_START whenever output to the terminal is restarted. TIOCPKT_DOSTOP whenever t_stopc is '^S' and t_startc is '^Q'. TIOCPKT_NOSTOP whenever the start and stop characters are not '^S/^Q'. While this mode is in use, the presence of control status information to be read from the master side may be detected by a select(2) for exceptional conditions. This mode is used by rlogin(1) and rlogind(8) to implement a remote-echoed, locally '^S/^Q' flow-controlled remote login with proper back-flushing of output; it can be used by other similar programs. TIOCUCNTL Enable/disable a mode that allows a small number of simple user ioctl(2) commands to be passed through the pseudo-terminal, using a protocol similar to that of TIOCPKT. The TIOCUCNTL and TIOCPKT modes are mutually exclusive. This mode is enabled from the master side of a pseudo terminal by specifying (by reference) a nonzero parameter and disabled by specifying (by reference) a zero parameter. Each subsequent read(2) from the master side will return data written on the slave part of the pseudo terminal preceded by a zero byte, or a single byte reflecting a user control operation on the slave side. A user control command consists of a special ioctl(2) operation with no data; the command is given as UIOCCMD(n), where n is a number in the range 1-255. The operation value n will be received as a single byte on the next read(2) from the master side. The ioctl(2) UIOCCMD(0) is a no-op that may be used to probe for the existence of this facility. As with TIOCPKT mode, command operations may be detected with a select(2) for exceptional conditions. TIOCREMOTE A mode for the master half of a pseudo terminal, independent of TIOCPKT. This mode causes input to the pseudo terminal to be flow controlled and not input edited (regardless of the terminal mode). Each write to the control terminal produces a record boundary for the process reading the terminal. In normal usage, a write of data is like the data typed as a line on the termi- nal; a write of 0 bytes is like typing an end-of-file character. TIOCREMOTE can be used when doing remote line editing in a win- dow manager, or whenever flow controlled input is required. FILES
/dev/pty[p-sP-S][a-z0-9] master pseudo terminals /dev/tty[p-sP-S][a-z0-9] slave pseudo terminals DIAGNOSTICS
None. HISTORY
The pty driver appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution November 30, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution