Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Maximum number from input by user Post 302632805 by jim mcnamara on Monday 30th of April 2012 10:28:20 PM
Old 04-30-2012
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo 'Please enter four numbers'
read max
for i in 1 2 3
do
   read num
   [ $num -gt $max ]  && max=$num
done
echo 'maximum number is: $max"

Is this schoolwork?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Maximum number of threads per user

Anybody knows how to setup Maximum number of threads per user or some other value on Sun Solaris 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

maximum number of input on solaris

Hi, Can anyone tell me what the maximum amount of input characters is on solaris command line? (standard ksh I think) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcello
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

handling maximum number characters in an input file

Hi, Can anyone help me? An input file has three lines. Each line should only be 2098 as number of characters however line 2 of the input file has more than the maximum number of characters, it exceeded up to 4098. What should I do so that could handle maximum number of characters? that it could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrysSty
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only chracter or only number ?

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only character or only number ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: CheeSen
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

maximum number of arguments

Hi, What is the maximum number of arguments that could be passed to zsh ? To find out that I tried a simple script. And the maximum number of arguments that could be passed turned out to be 23394 #! /bin/zsh arg=1 i=1 subIndex=23000 while do arg=$arg" "$i i=$(($i + 1))... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls - maximum number of files

what is the maximum number ls can list down (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karnan
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting "user input line number" from a file using sed

Hi I want to delete a line from a txt file for which the line number is user input. Say when user selects 19, the 19th line would be deleted from the file. Can anyone please provide me with a sed one liner for the same... I tried sed -i. The interaction would be like this Enter the line to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of files within a directory input by the user

So I have a loop that stated if a directory exists or not. If it does it prints the number of files within that directory. I use this code... result=`(ls -l . | egrep -c '^-')` However, no matter which directory I input, it outputs the number "2" What is wrong here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting "user input line number" from a file using sed

Hi I want to delete a line from a txt file for which the line number is user input. Say when user selects 19, the 19th line would be deleted from the file. Can anyone please provide me with a sed one liner for the same... I tried sed -i. The interaction would be like this Enter the line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
4 Replies
TABFUNC(1)						      General Commands Manual							TABFUNC(1)

NAME
tabfunc - convert table to functions for rcalc, etc. SYNOPSIS
tabfunc [ -i ] func1 [func2 ..] DESCRIPTION
Tabfunc reads a table of numbers from the standard input and converts it to an expression suitable for icalc(1), rcalc(1) and their cousins. The input must consist of a M x N matrix of real numbers, with exactly one row per line. The number of columns must always be the same in each line, separated by whitespace and/or commas, with no missing values. The first column is always the independent variable, whose value indexes all of the other elements. This value does not need to be evenly spaced, but it must be either monotonically increas- ing or monotonically decreasing. (I.e. it cannot go up and then down, or down and then up.) Maximum input line width is 4096 characters and the maximum number of data rows is 1024. Input lines not beginning with a numerical value will be silently ignored. The command-line arguments given to tabfunc are the names to be assigned to each column. Tabfunc then produces a single function for each column given. If there are some columns which should be skipped, the dummy name "0" may be given instead of a valid identifier. (It is not necessary to specify a dummy name for extra columns at the end of the matrix.) The -i option causes tabfunc to produce a description that will interpolate values in between those given for the independent variable on the input. EXAMPLE
To convert a small data table and feed it to rcalc for some calculation: rcalc -e `tabfunc f1 f2 < table.dat` -f com.cal AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), icalc(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), total(1) RADIANCE
10/8/97 TABFUNC(1)