Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Foreground sesu SSH with here document Post 302631583 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of April 2012 01:16:01 PM
Old 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by doonan_79
But that's my point - this is in the foreground - it is interactive. I want it to prompt the user for a password and for them to enter it. This is a backup method in case SSH DSA keys are corrupted or not in place for some reason.
Ahh, I see. Pardon me.

A here-document won't stop it from being able to read a password from the user. ssh just opens /dev/tty to do that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute SAS Foreground

Hi, I am executing the SAS program using Unix script to call SAS program, but i would like to run that SAS program in forground mode, does anyone know what is command. Thanks in advance!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: terala
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get background job to foreground

hi, i am just wondering that wen we give the following code we make a process run in background...can the viceversa be performed?i.e can this be made foreground again # sleep 75& 21751 # (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandilya
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh and here document

Hi :) how can I use here doc to use ssh? I am facing a problem with the below script: #!/bin/bash ssh hosein@localhost << * 123456 * "123456" is my password Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: htabesh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background and Foreground of a process within a script

I'm not sure if it is even possible but I figured if it was someone here would know how to do it... I am running a script which starts a bunch of processes in the background but there is one process I would like to bring back to the foreground when complete. Unfortunately the process that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctruhn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bringing a process to the foreground

If i have a single file i would just press fg but if i have multiple files running in the backgound and want to bring a specific one to the foreground how would i do that? Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bringing a nohup process to foreground

Hi, I have used nohup command to run a process in background. i ran successfully and i exit from that terminal. But when i login for the next time I am not able to see the process but it is working, since I am getting a e-mail alert for error issue. Please let me know how to bring that process... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbguy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Here document inside a here document?

Can we use a here document inside a here document? Something like this ssh user@remotehost << REMOTE sudo vserver vsernamename enter << VSERVER perform actions on vserver. VSERVER REMOTE (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
6 Replies

8. Programming

Background SSH using here document

I'm trying to use Here documents to pass several commands to a remote server over SSH. However I'm having problems. The code is as follows: nohup ssh $i_hostname exec /usr/bin/ksh -s << EOF >> $AS_STOPSAP_LOG & echo $i_instname; ps -ef | grep name | grep ${i_instname} |grep -v grep ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doonan_79
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh uses here-document problem

I try to ssh uses bash script in here-document like this. ssh root@$SERVER <<EOF if ; then service httpd start fi exit EOF But got an error below. maybe the if command causes the problem. Thanks for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muffle
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic logon via PUTTY and sesu -

Hi, I need to write a script to automate the logon via putty with Sesu-. can someone help me? thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austrold
1 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine (presumably using a login password, so password authentication should be enabled, unless you've done some clever use of multiple identities) It also changes the permissions of the remote user's home, ~/.ssh, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys to remove group writability (which would oth- erwise prevent you from logging in, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration). If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary) SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)