Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Novice in shell scripting - generating report Post 302631403 by Franklin52 on Friday 27th of April 2012 09:32:20 AM
Old 04-27-2012
Double post, please continue here:

https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...onditions.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting-Need help-NOVICE -PLEASE HELP

I really want to get into unix scripting,work with RS6000 -AIX. How do i get started,what books are good for beginners,i am very desperate I have no programming background but ready to scrafice all my time in learning .please help. PLEASE,PLEASE PLEASE ,HELP.... Any advice will realy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanaman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Novice - File Manipulation

Hi, I am brand new to unix and am hoping someone can start me in the right direction. I want to be able to put the results of a file command such as wc -l filename into a variable which I can then use to test against another variable...i.e. I need to show the nth line of a file, but need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmullane
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a report -Formatted printing -Urgent

Hi, My aim is to generate a report using shell script. There are various formats fields coloumns etc. I want to print in a single line (row) but in different coloumn as given below: field1 field2 field3 field4 ....... ....... ...... ....... The spacing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jisha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing out the logs and generating report

My file will contain following(log.txt): start testcase: config loading ...... error XXXX ..... end testcase: config loading, result failed start testcase: ping check ..... error ZZZZZ ..... error AAAAA end testcase: Ping check, result failed I am expecting below output. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Script for generating a report

Hi all, I have a log file of the below format. 20081016:000042 asdflasjdf asljfljs asdflasjf safjl 20081016:000229 /lask/ajlsdf/askdfjsa 20081016:000229 /lashflas /askdfaslj hsfhsahf 20081016:000304 lasflasj ashfashd 20081016:000304 lajfasdf ashfashdfhs I need to generate a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.naidu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash scripting] Generating a table with aligned fields

Hi everyone, I want to write a function which calculates the space needed between fields, to generate a table with aligned fields, like when you type "ls -l", the operating system generates a table with beautifully aligned fields. I've got this code so far: for line in $(cat tmpSearch)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aveltium
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a count report

Hi, I want to generate a report for count mismatching. Steps followed for creating a script for file in 1). I have to fetch the file name from the checksum.out #customer_information_ 2). Added Detail #customer_information_Detail 3). Check the file exist or not. 3.1.1)if the the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: number10
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

generating report in Excel(Open office) using shell scripting

Hello All, I need to execute around 15 queries after which all data should come in Excel format. Executing 15 queries is not a problem. Problem is how to present/put data in excel. kindly suggest me how to start, what to study or what should i do. thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubham8787
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files and generating the report

Hi All, What am trying to do is generate the report by compating two files. File A ----------- 111 22222 3333 222 55555 7777 File B ----------- 11A 22222 3333 333 55555 7778 Now the report should be as follows Added: 333 55555 7778 Removed: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashantckc
6 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)