Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Variable Name as a Prompt Post 302631381 by gary_w on Friday 27th of April 2012 09:15:51 AM
Old 04-27-2012
WARNING! eval when used like this can be dangerous. See a few posts below for more info!

Are you trying to do something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

dir="/usr/bin"

VariableName()
{
        echo "***************************************"
        echo "Please Enter Variable Name : "
        read Read_VariableName
}

VariableName
eval echo \$$Read_VariableName

exit 0
$ x
Please Enter Variable Name :
dir
/usr/bin
$

eval first replaces $Read_VariableName with "dir", then echo sees "$dir".

Last edited by gary_w; 04-27-2012 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Added warning about eval being dangerous when used like this.
This User Gave Thanks to gary_w For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] trying to install pecl without having it prompt for a yes m

I want to install pecl from a single command without it asking me for a response of "yes" or "no" to finish the install... -------------------------------------------------------------------------- # pecl install pecl_http downloading pecl_http-1.7.0.tgz ... Starting to download... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sjsotelo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a variable using sed (solved)

Hi, My variable has value as this: tvar1="bool_risk_enabled" Boolean "true" Now I need to replace this true with false. Which is the best way to do this? Can we do this with sed command? Please help me. ---------- Post updated at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:00 PM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravintse
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Help needed to have changing value to the command prompt string variable PS1

Hi, I am using git bash terminal window to do git operations. I have set the prompt string variable PS1 in the ~/.bashrc file as follows: export PS1=" " This is intended to show me the current git branch's name which is active as part of the prompt string. But, the problem is when I do a git... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

zsh, prompt, variable expansion, ANSI color sequences

Hi! I am using latest ZSH and I have setopt prompt_subst I have a global hash array variable which contains some color definitions with color names as keys and 256-color ANSI codes (with %{ and %}) as values, eg %{\ePS1="$FG Hello World (%M) > " or PS1=$'$FG Hello World (%M) > ' then it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: galanom
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] reassign value to variable

Hi, Please let me know how to reassign value to a variable.The calling script is passing parameter as HAT_DIV but I like to pass HAT DIV ( two words) to DIV parameter.These are .ksh scripts. # access to target - (user passwd sid) must be provided. USER=$1; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy162
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Running scripts in parallel that issue prompt

Hi all - I am totally stuck here :wall I have been asked to write a shell script that does a few little things and then reads from a config file and kicks off an instance of another script, say scriptB.ksh for each line in the config file. These should all be run in parallel. This is all fine but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjmolloy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Prompt problem while using mget to ftp

I am writing a scritp in which first step is to get some files from a server. I am using mget to do that. here is my FTP code ... HOST="XXX.XXX.com" 28 ftp -inv $HOST <<END &> $FTP_LOG 29 quote USER $USER 30 quote PASS $PASWD 31 cd log 32 prompt off 33 binary 34 mget... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashidhar
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help with Overriding a Prompt in UNIX/Java

I am executing a shell script which contains a jar call to an external java package for which I don’t have a read access to. The external package was written in such a way that whenever we make a java –jar call to the package, it shows a prompt on the console asking if we want to continue or no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Harry1302
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to prompt user to define a variable?

Hi everyone, Is it possible to define blank vaianbles and prompt user to fill them during the script execution? A very simple example: INPUT= OUTPUT= cut -f1-4 $INPUT | sed 's/hello/goodbye/g' | sort -uV > $OUTPUTThank you in advance! Best wishes (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
2 Replies
escape(1)                                                       Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                       escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)