Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Background (nohup * &) SSH command block possible? Post 302631039 by Corona688 on Thursday 26th of April 2012 04:20:39 PM
Old 04-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by doonan_79
Hello,
I am trying to find a way to send several sequential commands via SSH to a remote box in a single command.
Thoughts so far:

1) Can I put them into a function and call the function within the ssh command?

e.g.
Code:
ssh <targetserver> $(functionx)

That would call the function locally, and feed its output into ssh.

Still, you cannot, since functions aren't exported across ssh calls. It's like running a fresh script. It knows nothing about your functions or environment...

Quote:
2) Can I use a command block?
Yes. You won't be able to use standard input for anything else, though.
Quote:
I get these messages:
Code:
"Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal"
(and on target)
"Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell."

It means what it says. stdin is not a terminal, it's a here-document, so it doesn't allocate a pseudo-tty.

Other than that, there's nothing wrong with it.
Quote:
Actually then is does run the commands BUT I'm not sure it's solid.
Nothing's actually going wrong. The shell's just complaining since its input isn't an interactive terminal.
Quote:
my final target is that I want to run this whole command in the background --- when I try and do this with nohup I still see these errors
E.g.
Code:
nohup ssh <targetserver> << EOF > <log> &
echo 1
echo 2
date
EOF

They're not errors, they're warnings.

I think you can avoid the warnings by running the shell in a manner so it doesn't expect stdin to be a terminal.

Code:
ssh username@host /bin/sh -s <<EOF
EOF

Quote:
I think it's quite an interesting one - can anyone advise on the best possible method for generating a set of commands to execute on a remote box via ssh; but with one SSH command?
If you want the deluxe version, the one I tend to use:

Code:
ssh username@host exec /usr/bin/env sh -s "arg1" "arg2" "arg3" <<"EOF"
echo "First argument is $1"
echo "Second argument is $2"
echo "Third argument is $3"
EOF

Running sh in this way should be quite safe, and using <<"EOF" makes sure nothing gets substituted into the here document, no substitution at all. The only way you can transfer in variables is with the "arg1" "arg2" "arg3" there, which become $1 $2 $3 ...
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nohup and background process

What is the difference between running a process using nohup and running a process in background ? Please explain (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srksn
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh a nohup command

I have a script I'm creating to spawn netcat listeners on a remote server for copying files at high speeds. The issue I'm running into is that after running the "nohup nc -l -p 12345 | tar -xvf - &" commands I can't get the remote shell to terminate. I'm not sure if this is working as intended or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: headcr4sh
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

nohup and & versus functions

when i have a function definition and function call in my script , i am unable to run my script in background with nohup.. Help me out please..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venugopalsmartb
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh -t and nohup

I have a fairly simple script like so: nohup java -jar program.jar >> log 2>&1 & echo $! > pidfile This works great when using ssh server "script.sh" but not when using ssh -t server "script.sh" The solution I came up with was to call sleep after recording the child pid. My guess at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: croachrose
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i execute nohup and background job inside the korn script for db2

load_cursor_stmt() { ls /db/admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor*.sql|while read file do echo "${file}" `nohup db2 -tvf "$file" \&` done }Error: ------- /admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor5.sql /db/admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor6.sql + read file + echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop nohup which is working background

Please I have run a background script using nohup please tell me way to stop this. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup and background jobs

Hi All, Can someone help me in knowing the exact difference between nohup and &. The definition is quite clear but i only want to know if i run my job using & and in between i hung up my terminal. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uinx_addic
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between & and nohup &

Hi All, Can anyone please help me understanding what the difference between the below two? 1. script.sh & 2. nohup script.sh & (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo ssh with command running in background

I am trying to run a command. This is one of my attempts: for i in fileservera; do ssh -t $i 'sudo ls /';doneThis works, and I see the directories. However, what I want to do now is start a process on the remote server such as /usr/bin/connectproc -standalonesudo /usr/bin/connectproc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies